Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have fixed oil consumption please enter

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you have fixed oil consumption please enter

OK, First I did heads and cam and did get it dyno tuned after 5-6 hundred miles. But like a lot of others here it started to suck the oil big time. Well I let it go for a couple thousand miles,and just kept filling it up. Then I found out that when I purchased my patriots 5.3,s that the seals were junk. I got
the new vitons and had them installed along with the amw catch can. The consumption has dropped dramatically, but on hot starts and wot it still smokes, a little less than b4 replacement and catch can, but its still there. The color is white with a hint of gray in it. Also for every 300 miles driven the can gets half full of oil. Is that normal? So whats my next step? I'd appreciate any help,for this is very frustrating to spend this kind of money and have a car with only 18,000 miles on it smoking.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as I put the greddy can on my car, it no longer had any oil consumptioin
Old 08-25-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

it took a LS6 PCV system and new rings (diamond pro-selects) to solve mine...I use NO oil now
Old 08-25-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Blue smoke = engine oil getting into the combustion chamber and being burned
Gray/black = fuel (too rich)
White = coolant in the combustion chamber being burned
Old 08-26-2004, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffws6
OK, First I did heads and cam and did get it dyno tuned after 5-6 hundred miles. But like a lot of others here it started to suck the oil big time.
Similar results when I did my Patriot heads ...

I had to have the seals AND guides replaced to eliminate the smoking.

I also did a complete engine rebuild, but the builder commented on the guides and how loose they were.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

I just recently did the LS6 PCV conversion on my 2000 Trans Am. It's a little early to tell if the oil consumption problem has been solved, but I'm hoping it is. Mobil One doesn't seems to be getting any cheaper! It's a fairly easy job and since I was upgrading to the LS6 intake, it was the perfect time to do the PCV change.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

a complete rebuild to fix mine......

no matter what you do, I think you will always burn oil unless you rebore the block with a torque plate. The problem is the cylinders are out of round and the rings will not seat right. You can put REALLY HEAVY rings in to make things "better" but then you are giving up a lot of HP and as soon as the rings wear you will be back to burning oil.

just start putting your $.01s in a jar for your rebuild down to road and fix the problem right
Old 08-26-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

My oil consumption was fixed under warranty, TSB:01-06-01-23 "Ring-Fix", replaced #2 compression ring on all pistons...

No oil use now...

Old 08-26-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
a complete rebuild to fix mine......

no matter what you do, I think you will always burn oil unless you rebore the block with a torque plate. The problem is the cylinders are out of round and the rings will not seat right. You can put REALLY HEAVY rings in to make things "better" but then you are giving up a lot of HP and as soon as the rings wear you will be back to burning oil.

just start putting your $.01s in a jar for your rebuild down to road and fix the problem right
I didn't use no stinkin' fancy schmancy torque plate

just a glaze breaker and new diamond rings