Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install, In Progress, Problem, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cam Install, In Progress, Problem, HELP!!!

I'll try to explain this, I spun the cam to seat the lifters, but I accidentily pulled the stock cam far enough out that it fell off the last bearing cap (I think that's right), so I was praying that the lifters were seated, and after sanding the JPR Cam Tool I was able to get the driver's side one in. The passenger one only goes in half way. For the heck of it, I decided to try to get the stock all the way back in and I was able to. Does that mean that the lifters haven't fallen. I spin the cam and I can hear it hitting a lifter. The passenger side JPR tool is stuck halfway in. I think I need to pull it out and sand it down some more, but does the fact that I was able to get the stock cam back in mean that I'm fucked? In the sense that if I can get the lifters on the passenger side to seat, I can still just get the JPR tool in??

I'm waiting on the edge of my seat.

Just to know I'm not fucked yet would be a GREAT help.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

I meant "stock cam" above.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

I also meant the fact that I'm able to get the stock cam back in mean I'm "not fucked."
Old 08-27-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry, I'm kinda freaked out, but just to be clearer, I have the driver's side JPR tool in, the stock cam is all the way back in, and the passenger side JPR tool is stuck halfway in, and I can hear the cam hitting a lifter when I spin it, but the lifter doesn't seem to want to seat. I hope this makes more sense.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

I assume you have all the rocker arms and pushrods removed? You can try a magnent down the pushrod hole to hold that lifter up while you push the tool past it.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Thanks man, appreciate the response! Yes, I have the pushrods and rockers removed. I can try the magnet, but am I still okay because my stock cam is back in? I mean if a lifter fell I wouldn't be able to get the stock cam back in--correct??

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think if a lifter fell it would have went into the oil pan and you could still get the stock cam back in. I would try the pen magnet method above and see if you can "feel" the lifter with it.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

If it fell in the oil pan wouldn't I have heard it?

The problem I have now is that the passenger side JPR tool is stuck halfway in and I can't move it forward or backwards.

What seems odd to me is that when I spin the cam, the driver's side JPR tool (the one that's all the way in) moves slightly everytime I spin the cam.

Everything has gone so smooth until now.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

If the lifter fell you would have heard it and it more than likely would be in your oil pan unless it got stuck some where. As far as th tool, that's weird. I don't know what to tell you. Try contacting the manufacturer, Speed inc, Thunder racing, etc and see what they say. I know Speed and Thunder are knowledgeable first hand. Good luck and if you get it fixed don't forget to post it in case it happens again to someone else.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

I called TR and Chris didn't know what to say, so I told him that you guys suggested the pen magnet in the pushrod hole (there was awkward silence), and he agreed. He couldn't say for sure that a lifter hadn't fallen but said that I probably would have heard it, but I didn't hear anything. I need to pick up a pen magnet that is a smaller diameter than the one I got. I'm wondering how I'm gonna get the JPR tool out that's stuck halfway in. Oh boy.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

to the top
Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

If you have the stock cam back in all the way, put your pushrods back in their holes. They should all be sticking out about the same distance if the lifters are still up in the cups. Spining the cam at this point should not alter the pushrods if all lifters are up in their cups. If you see the pushrods bobbing when spinning the stock cam, then you know your lifters aren't staying high enough in the cups.

To check those lifters on the back pass side (without the JPR tool): With the cam in, use the pushrpds to press the lifters back down on the cam. Then you'll get a feel at how well they are staying up. If it takes some good pressure to push them down, there is a good chance they will stay up without magnets.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks so much Rich, that's very helpful.

I just returned from the auto parts store with a pen magnet that fits in the pushrod holes, and I'm 99% sure all the lifters are there.

But if a lifter did drop, and I put the pushrod back in, will the pushrod drop past the point I could snag it out of the hole? The driver's side, with the JPR tool all the way in, seems all set. About 5 or 6" down the PR hole, the magnet caught on the lifters. I want to get the pass. side JPR tool out, but I'm having problems, it's jammed halfway in. I'm 99% sure I can feel the lifters, but the magnet isn't strong enough to seat it in the cup.

So if I did drop a lifter, and I'm 99.9% sure I didn't, would I cause more problems by putting the pushrod in? Would the PR drop far down the hole?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:44 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

If you've dropped a lifter, you'll have to pull the head to get it back in properly. It won't matter at that point if the pushrod falls in. You'd still be pulling the head and having to pull the oil pan to get the lifter out.

Be careful with the pen magnet. Many guys have lost the head of the magnet down there.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

I thought it wouldn't matter if the lifter did drop. I'm gonna go and put the pushrods in now.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Question

I put all 16 pushrods in and they're all sticking out of the holes about 2 inches. I guess that means that the lifters are all seated in the cups, but what throws me is there are sounds when I spin the cam?? Maybe the cam is contacting the JPR tool that's all the way in? Seems so because the JPR tool moves slightly when I spin the cam (the JPR that is slid all the way in).

It seems I have two options:

1) I could try to install the new cam without having the pass. side JPR tool all the way in (it's stuck halfway), or,

2) I could keep trying to pull out the JPR tool, sand it down some more, and try to reinstall it.

I'm not sure how to proceed???
Old 08-27-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

I had My JRP tool snag on the pass side on a buddys car when we did his cam.
We just had one person spin the cam and the other shake the jpr tool and pull at the same time came right out.

Funny thing is, it went right back it ( it did not want to go all the way in the first time) and had no issues after that.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'll try that, killer, thanks! I'm sort of torn between trying to jam it in further or pulling it out and sanding it to a smaller diameter. I'm afraid if I jam it in I'll never get it out???

I had a thought, the pass. JPR tool must be stuck because it's diameter is slightly too big rather that the tool hitting against a lifter (since all 16 pushrods are sticking out 2").

I need to make a decision on what to do next. I'm not sure.

You guys are a GREAT help!! Thanks so much!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Since I'll have to pull the JPR tool anyway, I should pull it now, sand it down more, and try to reinstall it, but I can't for the life of me get the dang thing out. I have a pair of vice grips near the handle part, and I'm trying to hammer the vice grips to get the JPR tool out. I just don't have much room between the vice grips, and the front of the engine block, to swing a hammer.

Needless to say, I'm open and welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

BTW, killer, I tryed the "spin the cam and jiggle" technique with no luck so far. I'll keep trying.