Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body

Old 10-08-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle Body

does an ls1 motor have a gasket in between the throttle body and the intake ??

i am leaking coolant from the hose that would be used to block off, ( TB bypass mod ) and i replaced that hose. but it is still leaking. drips are being seen on the bottom of the TB. any clues, low coolant light is on and everything else looks good

thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Question 1) Are both hoses are disconnected? If so then there is no coolant going into the TB anymore.

Question 2) It's your stock TB? Not sent off to be ported?

There is no water in the intake manifold, so no water tight gasket is required. I ran my hose from the drivers side head, to the top of the radiator. You don't want to block it off, or you won't get the air bubbles out of the heads, and could develope a hot spot & end up with detonation.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

TB, has 2 nipples on each side (one in, one out), is that where it is leaking from?

If so pull the leaking one out, some RTV at the end and stick it back in TB. I had mine do that (Came loose from TB).
Old 10-08-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes there is a gasket that fits into the intake that seals the TB to the intake. It does not seal the TB off from coolant so you’re not leaking because of that gasket or any other gasket.

So did you replace the hose that runs from the TB to tub that goes into the top of the head? Or the hose that run from the TB to the radiator?

You might want to look at the two tubs that run off the bottom of the TB, these can so time come out of the aluminum “they are only pressed in” if this is the case I would just by pass the TB by get a fitting to connect the two lines into each other.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did not do the bypass mod. like i said, it seems to be leaking from the Tb area. i'll have to look for the 2 tubs.

i replaced the hose that goes from the Tb to the intake/head area.

any more suggestions
Old 10-08-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

My suggestion is to do the bypass mod, if not, the TB is held on by (4?) 10mm bolts, its very easy to take off, you could check it out pretty easy.

There is a little orange gasket that goes back there, but it does not need replaced if the TB is removed.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just went and started the car and let it run. no light.

shut it off and started again. no light.

no apparent leaks either. i will be bringing the car to work tomorrow and if something acts up i'll just call up the extended warranty and have my tech fix it.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so the light is still on and now i have noticed that the temp gauge is rising, faster than normal

anyone have waterpump issues ??
Old 10-09-2004, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

OK, so you did not do the TB bypass....your first post sort of made it sound like you did. If water is leaking from your TB, I'd try the bypass. Your car does not need the hot water going into the TB, unless you live in Alaska & drive in blizzards. You'll need a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor nipple to connect the 2 hoses that go to the TB. Pull them off the TB & connect them together. If nothing else, it's a good way to troubleshoot your problem.

And if it was your water pump, the water should be leaking out the bottom of the pump.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through a similar experience of low coolant level light coming on. I had to add water a couple of times over a two week period of time. The water was not leaking enough to leave any puddles while the car was parked. I assume it was leaking a little when the motor was running and the car was moving , making it not visually obvious. After checking for blown head gaskets the water pump finally started leaking enough out of the weep hole to leave a puddle. Changed the water pump out and everything is good to go now.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just pressure tested the system and the waterpump is leaking bad. called it into my extended warranty and they ok'd the work but they are sending out an inspector anyways. bogus so now i am without the car for the weekend and i am going to miss the f-body meet tomorrow

very pissed off right now, thanks for taking the time to read my post fellers

Search this Thread