Sponsored by:

Revving to 14,000 rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
exactly. F1's pistons spin at roughly the same speed as your everyday car motor
Uh...pistons don't spin unless you break a connecting rod...
Old 10-13-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dole_Pineapple

Wondering where you came up with that last conclusion.
Your spelling and grammar.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is silly.

I figured something up with my engine analyzer. If an LS1 was destroked to 300ci, it would still be pulling almost TWELVE THOUSAND G-FORCES at 14K RPM! Just for comparison, a stock displacement LS1 pulls only (and I say only) about 4300 Gs @ 8500RPM, and guys really push it getting there.

What material do you plan on asking to experience forces 14000 times its own weight?

Now.... I think the skeptics have adequately illustrated the point that this is an impossibility for an individual without some high engineering degree and advanced understanding of metalurgy.

Last edited by derek_silvy; 10-13-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:27 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

3.) Most of us, including you, can't afford it.

If you could afford it, you'd already be writing a nasa sized check to a nasa intelligent group of people and you'd already have your 14,000 RPM LS1.

You dont, so, you don't
Old 10-13-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.) Most of us, including you, can't afford it.

Because if you really had the resources to accomplish this task, you wouldn't be wasting your time asking about it here.

[edit]

Damn it Z98, you beat me to it.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is my opinion on it...not that it counts..im a newbee

if 14000 rpms was the efficient way to make power....then why wouldnt people with unlimited funds do so?...like nhra pro stock.

it just seems like 10k is the hot set up...on many different forms of max effort drag race engines. "maybe" theres a reason why...maybe it starts to get less efficient after that or something...otherwise it would be happening...theres plenty of people that have the coin to be trying this in the racing world.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

The real question is how much money do you want to spend?

That and is there an LS1 induction setup good enough to make power that high?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pineapple, I think it's great that you are thinking outside the box, and I am annoyed at the people who throw freakin' smiley faces and just laugh without giving a reason.

You'll never be able to get an ls1 the way we know it to that high an rpm:

-loads on the rotating assembly increase exponentially w/ rpm. in other words, the forces at 8k rpm are not double that at 4k rpm, but thye are actually 4X larger....you get the idea.

-F1 cars can rev that high because (among other things) they have much lighter valvetrains and bottom ends. Lighter parts allow less momentum and lower forces on the assembly. Also, as mentioned before, the stroke is much less, resulting in lower piston speeds (pistons cover less distance in the same amount of time as our ls1s for a given RPM. This lower piston speed reduces the momentum/forces on the piston, allowing it to hold together when it changes direction.

So due to the limits of our materials you cannot build an ls1 to rev that high. There is no material that you could use to make our engines hold up at 14000 rpm.

So you CAN make an engine rev that high-it just wont be an ls1 due to it's inherent design: large rotating mass, heavy valvetrain, and bore/stroke.

Small engines can rev incredibly high due to their low mass - I've used a model airplane engine that revs to 20,000. it only cost 200 bucks. It's all a matter of physics, and the the limitations of the materials avaliable.

Last edited by Grimes; 10-13-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Well, just keep in mind that with the best engineers and mechanics available, Formula 1 cars running at those speeds have engines break without lasting the race. And they're using engines more suited for high rpm operation. You'd also probably have to design and fabricate the crankshaft, rods, pistons, valvetrain, and other stuff I forgot. On the other hand, that would be one phat all-motor powerhouse.