Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i swap out the dexcool for the "old style" fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
i'll hafta looking into the toyota red stuff! didn't think about that
The pink toyota coolant cost the same as red per gallon; the pink is pre mixed 50/50. The red is good cause you can vary the mixture, and you get 2 gallons total out of the gallon red concentrate.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Default colant

will that Prestone colant do any harm if I add some to the red/orange colant????
Old 10-18-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

you have to use dexcool, GM was cheap with thier seals and gaskets and the "regular" coolant will eat right through them. i think it has to due with the ammount of sulfur in the coolant. both me and my frind had problems with our grand ams when the coolant was refilled without using dexcool, this caused the lower intake gasket on both our cars to leak, was only quoted like $800 to get this fixed at the dealer, thank god i got rid of that car, i keep forgetting to make sure i have dexcool in my trans am......if anyone has an opposite story, id be intrested to see what has happened with others...
Old 10-18-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Pewter Like I said above one of the parts of Dex Soften Plastic. This is is most likely the cause for the bad intake gaskets. Now getting onto the going to the green antifreeze eating your gaskets. Both cars were v-6. I assume they were.. Your gaskets were on borrowed time. I've done intake gaskets on many gm v-6 cars, yours was not the anti-freeze fault. The dex already did the damage and was a matter of time. John
Old 10-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Launching!

what happens if you mix them? (just out of curiosity)
Old 10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool thread.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gaga
what happens if you mix them? (just out of curiosity)
the diffrent chemicals are said to form an acid that eats through gaskets
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
you have to use dexcool, GM was cheap with thier seals and gaskets and the "regular" coolant will eat right through them. i think it has to due with the ammount of sulfur in the coolant. both me and my frind had problems with our grand ams when the coolant was refilled without using dexcool, this caused the lower intake gasket on both our cars to leak, was only quoted like $800 to get this fixed at the dealer, thank god i got rid of that car, i keep forgetting to make sure i have dexcool in my trans am......if anyone has an opposite story, id be intrested to see what has happened with others...
Thoes intake gaskets on 3.4's were waiting to leak from day 1. No matter what coolant used none would have avoided that problem, well known problem. I think GM is fixing them under a special policy adjustment.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Launching!

i thought you have to use dex-cool because with the green antifreeze it will have a chemical reaction with the aluminum block that will hurt it after awhile? that was a long time ago, maybe i read it wrong. either way, if something is only recommended for our engines, why take the chance ignoring it?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazytrainWS6
i thought you have to use dex-cool because with the green antifreeze it will have a chemical reaction with the aluminum block that will hurt it after awhile? that was a long time ago, maybe i read it wrong. either way, if something is only recommended for our engines, why take the chance ignoring it?
because i've seen how bad the ports get filled with crystals...
Old 10-25-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
Thoes intake gaskets on 3.4's were waiting to leak from day 1. No matter what coolant used none would have avoided that problem, well known problem. I think GM is fixing them under a special policy adjustment.

I've used green in my 3.4 for over 100,000 miles. No problem. I plan on using green in my LS1 as well.

D
Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sorry but i need to put an end to the myths about this subject. First off if the system is flushed you can run the green on which dexacool was orginally in and vise versa. Next off the green does not lessen the life of an alumn block or heads, i work for bmw and all our engines are all alumn and have used green forever. We have no problems with heads or block failing and there are many bmw's out there with 200 to 300 thousand miles on there orginal motors. So forget that myth. Finnally dexacool is crap. GM knows there is a problem with and has for years. Look at the 4.3 vortec's of the 90's had many dexacool problems actually destroying these motors. I just had the pleasure of looking at a 3.8 supercharged v6 out of a buddies gtp that blew up with 67000 miles on the clock due to dexacool completely clogging a cooling port to the number 3 cylinder in the head and lower intake, caused a hot spot and blew the head gasket out under boost (this car is completely stock) and ended up with a hole in the piston. The real fun part is the block is junk they cylinder is totally out of round and the deck is waving at you its so warped from excessive heat. Some history on the car is that the owner had a blazer with many dexacool problems, bought the GTP new in 2000 and changed the dexacool every year do to problems with the blazer. Still didn't matter as it turns to crud very easily. Its been hinted that gm will go back to green in 07 but they have so much dexacrap that they have to wait at least that long.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I was always under the impression that the dex cool does not like mixing with air. Eg, if the system stays closed and you just leave it, it will last longer than if you open the system all the time.
Just the same I have seen my share of "clogage" with it. I am thinking the LS1 going in the jeep will get the green.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1XJ
I was always under the impression that the dex cool does not like mixing with air. Eg, if the system stays closed and you just leave it, it will last longer than if you open the system all the time.
Just the same I have seen my share of "clogage" with it. I am thinking the LS1 going in the jeep will get the green.
WWWWhhhhhhaaaatttttt???? (lil jon)

how does a cooling system work when its open????

coolant mixed with air, bad very bad. causes air pocket in the water pump causing to overheat.

Quick Reply: can i swap out the dexcool for the "old style" fluid?