Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions, can retarding/advancing a cam change idle/driveability characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Yeah joel on a singel pattern cam with symmetrical lobes you cna do that, but I dont ever run the same lobe on intake adn exhaust
Jeff:

Its the same analysis whether the cam is a single pattern or not. I just picked that as an example because the math was simple and obvious. I did that analysis with all of the reverse splits I looked at.

If you use the cam calculator spreadsheet, you can calculate the overalp center as:

(EVC-IVO)/2 =X.

If X = 0, then it is centered on TDC.
If X < 0 then it is BTDC biased;
If X > 0 then it is ATDC biased.

My understanding is that centered or ATDC biased provides for a better idle, at least in the case of reverse splits.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A really good question would be what does moving the overlap period verses TDC do to power? My guess would be that before TDC provides the best power as the piston is moving very slow around TDC and producing the overlap cycle sooner allows more exhaust vacuum to be seen by the intake valve pulling more intake charge in.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Remember nick... its not necessarily going to be a one spot makes best power everywhere
Old 10-21-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it depends on your bore, stroke, compression, intake manifold, exhaust setup, intended use, etc. I would think in general my above statement hold true though.

Quick Reply: opinions, can retarding/advancing a cam change idle/driveability characteristics