Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "AFR 225" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tony,

I have a 427 C5 using Darton MID sleeves bored to 4.125. I need to use special Cometic head gasket for Darton sleeves (C5789-040). This gasket has 4.125 bore and is 0.040 thick. I have your AFR 225 heads that I will be putting on very soon. But I started to worry now when I read that a 4.130 gasket is needed for AFR 225 heads. Will I be fine with my Cometic gasket? What problems can I run into if I use it? The next available size for these special Cometic gaskets to be used with Darton MID sleeves is 4.165 which I think would be too large and I would hate to spend more money to get it...

Please advise,
Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marcink
Hey Tony,

I have a 427 C5 using Darton MID sleeves bored to 4.125. I need to use special Cometic head gasket for Darton sleeves (C5789-040). This gasket has 4.125 bore and is 0.040 thick. I have your AFR 225 heads that I will be putting on very soon. But I started to worry now when I read that a 4.130 gasket is needed for AFR 225 heads. Will I be fine with my Cometic gasket? What problems can I run into if I use it? The next available size for these special Cometic gaskets to be used with Darton MID sleeves is 4.165 which I think would be too large and I would hate to spend more money to get it...

Please advise,
Thanks
Your fine....The 4.125 bore should fit without a problem. If anything it might hang into the "chamfers" on top of the cylinder sleevs a little, but that is a situation un-related to your 225 heads. When possible, I like to use a gasket .020-.030 or so larger than the actual bore to account for the chamfers up top. Lay the gasket on your block and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by NO5.0
thanks Tony, will you be offering the mock up head to rent for the notching. Also, should i mill the 225s or leave em at 62cc. ill be using the G5x3 cam and adding some n02 to the combo. Thanks again. Also what do you think the pricing will be on these with the 921s on em?
No...we dont have a head for "mock-up"....perhaps some shops in the future might be able to provide that service for you. I would mill the heads to 59 cc's or so and run the .040 gasket for more CR and better quench.
$2450 + 279 for spring upgrade and +100 for mill if you choose to do so.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Its seems that what works for the 205s will work for the 225s. Meaning 59cc, and gasket thickness. The only heads available to use for the piston notching would be the 205s to use as a mock up. Would this work if the cutting tool is for a 208/160 valves? thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Flow Wizard

Its seems that what works for the 205s will work for the 225s. Meaning 59cc, and gasket thickness. The only heads available to use for the piston notching would be the 205s to use as a mock up. Would this work if the cutting tool is for a 208/160 valves? thanks
Yes...For that matter you could use a stock LS6 head as well....Same Int. and Exh. centerlines....but without the actual 225 in hand, you will not know how deep to make the notches...
Old 02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Hey Guys...

First off I would like to address the situation of the larger chamber diameter (4.100) of the 225's on the "stock" 3.900 bore. Besides the fact you MUST use a large bore gasket with ANY 225 install (4.130 minimum bore diameter), it poses no other problems whatsoever, flows well, and will make great power on a stock bore engine build. It is NOT an issue. As soon as some "225" stock displacment engines start putting up big numbers it will long be forgotten about. Every hard running BBC buildup in the country that has not been bored to 4.600 inches has combustion chambers that slightly "overhang" the cylinder bore.

The million dollar question is when will the small chamber (62 cc) versions of the 225's be ready to ship. The answer to that is I don't exactly know....my best guess is that we might start shipping the first wave of 62 cc heads late February to mid-March. Even that guesstimate could prove to be conservative but I certainly hope not. The bottom line is that we are extremely busy and doing the best we can till we get into a much larger manufacturing facility slated for the tail end of 05'.

My best advice to anyone trying to assure they get in on the first "wave" of castings is to contact us directly and get yourselves on the 62cc 225 "Pre-order" list. This list is comprised of people that would have given us a firm order and a deposit had we been willing to accept it. AFR will contact all of the people (and distributors) on this list as soon as Engineering gives Production the green light to start cutting 225's on the CNC machines. Once all of the people on the Pre-order list have been contacted and have their orders placed, we will start placing orders in the "que" based on first come first serve. If your NOT on the "list", the chances of you getting or seeing a 62 cc 225 before the end of March is slim. I anticipate a pretty good demand on the small chamber stuff so plan ahead so you don't string yourself along till the weather starts to break.

I wish I had better news to report regarding delivery times, but for the customers who can put up with the wait, I think the end results will more than justify the delay. I think LEGITAMATE (NO dyno tricks and BS) 500+ RWHP stock displacement PUMP gas engines will become a reality for the guys that take the time to dial in their combinations with the next iteration of AFR's proven "recipe".

Thanks for the support and putting up with the seemingly endless "lead time".

Regards,
Tony Mamo

PS Trust me when I tell you that a big factor in the "delay" was to make sure that even with the different chamber configuration, the 62 cc version was every bit as killer as the 72 cc version. Chamber shapes play a big role in flow figures and accomplising this has been no small feat. Once again, we didn't want to "rush" a product to market simply because you guys are screaming for it....fact is the delay has probably cost us some business but we weren't willing to compromise the end results....and when the smoke clears, it's the "end results" that we will always be judged by.
The "overhang" is nothing to worry 'bout. The valve during its transition from seat to seat movement spends almost all of its time in the chamber itself and the "deshrouding" of the valve in the chamber long outweighs the worries about the overhang. The main thing is to run the proper head gasket, like the Fel Pro 1041, for proper seal.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Yes...For that matter you could use a stock LS6 head as well....Same Int. and Exh. centerlines....but without the actual 225 in hand, you will not know how deep to make the notches...
what about getting the 225s putting them on the engine and claying the pistons then take them off and do the same with the 205 mock up head and then take the measurements and cut accordingly? If i wait for a 225 mock up head it could take forever. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, What do you plan on donig on your motor Tony?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Tony should i call you?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Flow Wizard

Tony should i call you?
Yes...

Guys...Its best to call AFR when you have questions that become more personal in nature (questions more focused on your individual situation). Just one of those courtesy things for the other members looking for "tech" content. The thread maintains a better "flow" and is more enjoyable for everyone.

NO5.0....You can reach me at (818)890-0616 EXt. 109

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

tony knows everything bout "flow", so how many cfm's is this thread at?

pm sent tony
Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Tony Mamo @ AFR]Let me try to get everyone quickly caught up here...

SDB,

If you want the "same" CR, than its simply a matter of milling the 225's a little to match the combustion chamber volume of your current heads. I did the math quickly for you and you currently have about 10.96 taking into account your thicker head gasket. (I used .008 out of hole in my figuring). I would recommend a thinner head gasket like the .040 225 gasket we offer and that would get you to a legit 11.1 to 1 Regarding piston to valve, its simply an issue that needs to be check....assuming you weren't on the ragged edge with your other cylinder heads, more than likely you would be in good shape with the 225 AFR's. Pushrods, like P to V, must be checked with an adjustable to verify length....I won't make a "blanket statement" that you should be OK, etc., etc. 7.400 might very well work out for you, but a 7.350 or a 7.40 might work out better. It simply needs to be checked.
------

Tony, thanks for the info,,I will probably get a straight edge and some feeler gauges and check to see how high the piston is (if any) out of the bore, I asumed around .010 as well.,...I was using stock .051 3.90 bore GM MLS gaskets, so if I went with the COmetic .040 4.03 gaskets and got the Heads milled from 72 down to 69, that should do the trick....Is it still better to go with the slightly thinner head gasket and some milling of the 72's as opposed to waiting for the 62's and using a thicker headgasket in terms of performance and P-V clearance? I will check pushrod length as well...

Thanks,

SDB
Old 02-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by SDB
Tony, thanks for the info,,I will probably get a straight edge and some feeler gauges and check to see how high the piston is (if any) out of the bore, I asumed around .010 as well.,...I was using stock .051 3.90 bore GM MLS gaskets, so if I went with the COmetic .040 4.03 gaskets and got the Heads milled from 72 down to 69, that should do the trick....Is it still better to go with the slightly thinner head gasket and some milling of the 72's as opposed to waiting for the 62's and using a thicker headgasket in terms of performance and P-V clearance? I will check pushrod length as well...

Thanks,

SDB
You need to run a large bore gasket with ANY 225 head install. We sell an .040 thick version AFR PN 6848. Use that gasket with a 69 cc chamber and you should be good to go at 11.1 to 1 or so. A 62 cc head would increase your CR to over 12 to 1....If you wanted a LITTLE more CR you could just mill the 72 version to 67 or 68. Call me at AFR if you need additional help with this.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to run a large bore gasket with ANY 225 head install. We sell an .040 thick version AFR PN 6848. Use that gasket with a 69 cc chamber and you should be good to go at 11.1 to 1 or so. A 62 cc head would increase your CR to over 12 to 1....If you wanted a LITTLE more CR you could just mill the 72 version to 67 or 68. Call me at AFR if you need additional help with this.

Thanks,
Tony
Cool, I think I got a handle on it now...Mill the 72 cc down to 68, use .040 gasket...11.2 or so CR
a 62cc head with thicker gasket would probably screw up quench even if CR was on the money I assume...

SDB