Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs to be changed in the bottom end to safely spin 7000 rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What needs to be changed in the bottom end to safely spin 7000 rpms?

I'm planning on swapping over to one of the bigger cams which is going to require higher rpms, and I was wanting to know what all needs to be changed to safely spin 7000+ rpms. More than likely I'll be shifting the car around 6900-7000 rpms with a 7300-7400 rev limiter. I know some people have had luck with their completely stock bottom end holding together, but I wanna be sure. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to be sure, build the bottom end

i wouldnt run the stock bottom end over 6700/6800

i know people have, but they are playing with a timebomb

arp rod bolts will help with higher RPMS
Old 10-27-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say an upgrade to ARP rod bolts would help you do it safely.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:35 PM
9 Second Club NA

Hard Jonny: I really wanna keep the bottom end stock so that I can run for the cam only list. Plus I dont have the funds to build the bottom end, but you can change the rod bolts and still be considered cam only. I currently have 6500 shift points now with a 6700 rev limiter and havent run into any problems, but going any higher than that scares me. I'd really like to just change the rod bolts so that I can still be considered cam only, but I was wanting to know if rod bolts will safely let me spin 6900 rpms with a 7200-7300 rev limiter?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ideally:

-ARP rod bolts
-Resized rod ends with new bearings to keep their bores true.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

CANNIBAL: What do you mean by this:
Resized rod ends with new bearings to keep their bores true.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
CANNIBAL: What do you mean by this:
This is what Jason 99 T/A had to say about the ARP rod bolts:

I have checked the housing bore on the rods before and after the rod bolt install (ARP Pro-series bolts). There is some definite deformation after the new bolts are installed. Every motor we build with stock rods has the housing bore re-sized .002" larger than stock to accept a new, oversized bearing from Clevite for this very reason.

I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how much out-of-round the rods went after the new bolts

That's why I said, ideally. This would ensure a proper setup.

Lots of people get away with simply installing the bolts only, no bore re-sizing.

I'm one of those people that sleeps better knowing proper protocol was followed.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

More info here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=rod+bolt
Old 10-27-2004, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

So there may be a risk of changing out the rod bolts alone? Some may not run into any problems, but then some do? Youre suggesting that I have the housing bore resized? What exactly does that mean? I just wanted to replace the bolts alone and keep the motor in the car. Having the housing bore resized sounds like something that would need to be done with the motor out...thats just what it sounds like. Im the type who likes the peace of mind that everything is done right too, but I really dont wanna change up too much in the bottom end because when Im ready to do that and get the money to build the bottom end, Im going to do it all and not just a few parts here and there. Again, I wanna still be considered cam only so that I can run for the list.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

So there may be a risk of changing out the rod bolts alone?

Yes, explained above and in the link provided.

Some may not run into any problems, but then some do?

Youre suggesting that I have the housing bore resized?

If it were my car, yes.

What exactly does that mean?

The rod ends are bored out to a larger size and the use of larger oversized bearings are used to prevent this distortion that causes the rod ends to potentially and measurably be taken out of round.

Having the housing bore resized sounds like something that would need to be done with the motor out

Yes, motor has to come completely out.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
So there may be a risk of changing out the rod bolts alone?

Some may not run into any problems, but then some do?

Youre suggesting that I have the housing bore resized?

If it were my car, yes.

What exactly does that mean?

The rod ends are bored out to a larger size and the use of larger oversized bearings are used to prevent this distortion that causes the rod ends to potentially and measurably be taken out of round.

Having the housing bore resized sounds like something that would need to be done with the motor out

Yes, motor has to come completely out.
Levi understands that patience is a virtue!
I am not trying to hate Jeremy, but READ! all your answers are there bro!
FWIW if it were me and I had the motor apart, Id go with forged pistons and rods with a stock crank....
Old 11-04-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you saying that when I do my 383 stroker that I will need to resize the new forged rods if I use ARP bolts? Are the rods sized when the engine is being built at GM With OEM bolts? Do the shops that sell short blocks for $2000 on this forum resize the rodson those rebuilds? I'm 58 years old and have built a few SBC's over the years and all I ever used was some plastigauge. I hate to say it but I must be really behind the times.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Hard Jonny: I really wanna keep the bottom end stock so that I can run for the cam only list. Plus I dont have the funds to build the bottom end, but you can change the rod bolts and still be considered cam only.
What year is the engine? Spinning to ~7,000+ with the 98-00 rod bolts isn't something I'd want to do. The 01+ bolts are better and tend to hold up better. There have been several folks spin 7,000+ on stock short blocks. They tend to live - for a while.

Not sure how to be PC on this... if one can't find the funds to upgrade the bottom end to live with the high rpm, will one be able to find the cash to replace the orginal short block if something breaks with the 7,000+ high rpm eventually?

just my .02 coming from someone that has his H&C car peak at 5,900 rpm and shifts at 6,200 to 6,300 to keep the rpm down so the combo lives for a nice long while...
Old 11-04-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you saying that when I do my 383 stroker that I will need to resize the new forged rods if I use ARP bolts?

It depends on what the bores measure on pre-assembly. You should install the rod caps onto the rod in a rod vise or the like. Install the rod bolts and torque to their spec/stretch, measure the rod end bores, if the bores are out of round with the rod bolts to spec then you'll need to have the ends re-sized appropriately.

Are the rods sized when the engine is being built at GM With OEM bolts?

No, the LS1 uses a cracked rod design that eliminates the need for re-sizing the rod bores when doing an OEM rebuild.

Do the shops that sell short blocks for $2000 on this forum resize the rodson those rebuilds?

One would hope and assume so, however, my motto is to never assume. The only way to know for sure is to call the shops themselves and ask.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Not sure how to be PC on this... if one can't find the funds to upgrade the bottom end to live with the high rpm, will one be able to find the cash to replace the orginal short block if something breaks with the 7,000+ high rpm eventually?
Exactly. Ya' gotta pay to play.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:55 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im not going to have the motor out. I just want to replace the rod bolts because I have a 2000 model car and I have more of a chance of blowing the bottom end than 01-02 models. I dont wanna take the motor out and I dont plan to. The only reason for me wanting to upgrade the rod bolts is so that I can shift the car a little higher to get the full effect of the T-Rex cam. Honestly, I wanna take the chance of just replacing the rod bolts because I dont wanna pull the motor. A lot of gotten away with it, hopefully I will too.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

A lot of gotten away with it, hopefully I will too.
It's your motor
Old 11-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Launching!

I'd go with a set of oliver rods which will take 9k easily especially if you went with their crank.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club NA

I dont plan on building my bottom end unless it goes. The only reason for me wanting to upgrade the rod bolts is so that I can spin the motor to 7000 to get the most of out of the cam Im swapping to. (T-Rex) Im crossing my fingers that I'll be ok to just replace the rod bolts.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

You do realize that if a rod bolt lets go you'll most likely destroy the block, also?

That's another $500-1000 on top of a rebuild. It can also destroy your crank, cam, etc.