Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp vs. Crane vs. Patriot vs. Precision vs. Rev

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PRC retainers fit nicer on the spring than the Patriots, that is all.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cstraub: Not sure why you pointed that out if the Patriot kit comes with the Super 7 locks.

Bo White: Is there any benefit/advantage of them fitting better?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

The main thing on fitment is you do not want the retainer to fit to loose on the spring, that meaning side to side movement. If the retainer can use the spring as a hoolahoop then try to find a retainer that fits more snuggly in the spring. "Hoolahoop" is a nontechnical term lol.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok here's a rundown of what I have so far...Comps is the way to go if you dont mind spending the money, however here is my question for that...what makes their kit so much more expensive? Is it the name? Is there parts really that much better than the rest of the kits that were talking about? Secondly, Cranes have the least opened and closed spring pressures when installed without shims, but with shims it lowers the lift capacity. Havent really heard anything bad about the Patriots. There have been a couple that mentioned the Precisions and no one that has mentioned the Revs. How come no one has recommended the Revs?

So with the Super 7 locks, if a spring ever fails/breaks, then the valve will not drop causing damage to the motor?

On the Patriot kit it says it comes with Viton rubber seals, is Viton the company's name? Also, it specifies rubber, are the other seals not rubber?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Back when Texas Speed offered them for sale I purchased the Crane 832 Dual Springs w/PP Titanium Retainers and Super 7 Locks. It was only marginally more expensive than using the pure PP setup. Like 340 or so vs 280.

I will say this, When installing the springs/retainers a retainer got lost in the process. I called the sponser that I ordered them from and didn't get any help as I would have had to order a full set of 16. I then called PP and they were by far the most helpful/quickest people I have dealt with. They overnighted me some extra locks and 2 retainers for an awesome price. It saved me as my car was in the shop being worked on and it was taking up bay space. If I had to do it again I would feel comfortable going with PP as their quality of the components I received was very high. I have been running this setup as a semi-daily driver with a T-Rex v.2 for several months with no issues.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by monodax
Back when Texas Speed offered them for sale I purchased the Crane 832 Dual Springs w/PP Titanium Retainers and Super 7 Locks. It was only marginally more expensive than using the pure PP setup. Like 340 or so vs 280.

I will say this, When installing the springs/retainers a retainer got lost in the process.........

Yeah that thing is still somewhere in orbit But yeah PP did come through. I recently ordered a set at the new lower price.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Sounds like Patriots are the best bang for the buck. Looks like I know what springs I'll be getting now, thanks for the thread guys. Now if I could just figure out the rest of the engine.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

Where can I purchase the Patriot kit from besides Speed Inc.? I see that Patriot is a sponsor, but I cant seem to figure out how to view their parts. Where is everyone getting their new lower price? I havent decided on the Patriot kit just yet, just wanting to know where the best place to get it from. Has anyone ever heard of any failures on the Patriot kit with a big cam?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

so does racetech also remember patriot doesnt evan own a hot rod much less race one.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club NA

No one has recommended the Comp kit, is this because of the price? If money wasnt an issue, then I'd probably go with the kit, but I cant see paying almost double of what other kits go for. On the Cranes, everyone seems to mention its opened and closed pressure, which implies not to get them, but then a few defend it by saying you can shim it. Which then is defended with less lift capability. A few have mentioned the Precision kit. This is new to me, how long have they been around? I havent kept up with valve train lately, but seems to me that there are a new product around here. Now a quite a few have mentioned/suggested the Patriot kit. Seems hard to beat for the money, but how's the quality? I dont wanna make the mistake of buying the wrong kit thats all.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:37 AM
9 Second Club NA

Well the Comp kit is a little too pricey for my taste and no one has recommened them either and I assume its because of price as well. The Cranes seem to not be recommened because they have the lowest opened and closed seat pressures, have to be shimmed, dont come with shims, and you have to buy a valve spring micrometer to figure out what size shim you need. No one has mentioned the Revs or Manleys, so I take it they arent even worth talking about. So I guess its a toss up between the Patriot and Precision kit. Both priced about the same. Whats the differences between the 2? How come the Precision kit has .660" lift as opposed to everyone else's .650"?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Well the Comp kit is a little too pricey for my taste and no one has recommened them either and I assume its because of price as well. The Cranes seem to not be recommened because they have the lowest opened and closed seat pressures, have to be shimmed, dont come with shims, and you have to buy a valve spring micrometer to figure out what size shim you need. No one has mentioned the Revs or Manleys, so I take it they arent even worth talking about. So I guess its a toss up between the Patriot and Precision kit. Both priced about the same. Whats the differences between the 2? How come the Precision kit has .660" lift as opposed to everyone else's .650"?
Our original Patriot Gold springs coil bind at .710". We allow .060" clearance. If you only allow .050", wow you now have a .660" spring.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
9 Second Club NA

What exactly does that mean?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

What exactly does that mean?
That means at .650" lift you have a .060" cushion before coil bind. If you want to change that cushion to .050" you can now say you have a .660" lift spring.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

How do you change the cushion? Why did yall chose .060" cushion over .050"? Also, not complaining by no means, but why is the Patriot kit so much cheaper that the rest of the kits? Its much cheaper than the Comp kit, fairly cheaper than the Crane kit, and about the same as the Precision kit.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

How do you change the cushion? Why did yall chose .060" cushion over .050"? Also, not complaining by no means, but why is the Patriot kit so much cheaper that the rest of the kits? Its much cheaper than the Comp kit, fairly cheaper than the Crane kit, and about the same as the Precision kit.
We use .060" to give a credilable amount of safety when using our springs. Maybe the question should be why is everyone else higher. We offer one of, if not the best spring on the market. We do offer the best price $279.50 for our complete kit. Our spring kit is NOT cheaper... it is just priced where everyone can afford it.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The PRC kit will hold .660 lift.The springs coil bind @ .72 lift valve lift.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club NA

So then ya'll allow .060" cushion as well.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

i would go with some ls6 springs,does it take 37 replies to figure out what valve spring u want,they all work good
Old 11-11-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

.06 is the safe cushion.