Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp vs. Crane vs. Patriot vs. Precision vs. Rev

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Patriots are stock on the AFR 205's. The only other spring they sell with their heads is the REV for higher lift applications.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZO6er: What exactly are you implying?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
ZO6er: What exactly are you implying?

He's showing credability. If a company like AFR chooses Patriot Springs that's saying something.

I plan on buying the patriots.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes but who MAKES the Patriot springs that PRC and Patriot sell?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
So with the Super 7 locks, if a spring ever fails/breaks, then the valve will not drop causing damage to the motor?
Can anyone gives us more info on these Super 7 locks? What exactly are they? Will they prevent a valve from dropping if a spring breaks? Who sells them and how much?

Sounds like a great part!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:54 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V8er
Can anyone gives us more info on these Super 7 locks? What exactly are they? Will they prevent a valve from dropping if a spring breaks? Who sells them and how much?

Sounds like a great part!
they look like a regular lock but on steroids . i'd take a pic as i have one sitting ono my floor but im too lazy. i believe the super 7 locks are set at a different angle vs the stock ones.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

from talking with Terry @ Racetech and Jason @ TSP...either the PP golds or the PRC's are the way to go..the price is very affordable, they can handle majority of the cams we run and have a nearly perfect failure rate, meaning its hasnt happened more than a handful of times if that. Can u justify spending that much $$ on the other springs when you can really get more for less??? I myself went with the PP golds over the PRC's for my F10 just cause is was cheaper. Either ones I dont think you can go wrong with just my .02
Old 11-17-2004, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
from talking with Terry @ Racetech and Jason @ TSP...either the PP golds or the PRC's are the way to go..the price is very affordable, they can handle majority of the cams we run and have a nearly perfect failure rate, meaning its hasnt happened more than a handful of times if that. Can u justify spending that much $$ on the other springs when you can really get more for less??? I myself went with the PP golds over the PRC's for my F10 just cause is was cheaper. Either ones I dont think you can go wrong with just my .02
Being the newest member of the broken valve spring club.......I broke a pioneer spring in my stroker resently:
After 7,000 VERY hard miles I think I broke a spring(s) about 10 miles from home Saturday (10/30/04) cruising on the interstate coming home from an event. Ran rough like on 7 cylinders about 5 miles after some fun with a black Z06 but all fluids/temps were fine, no stalling and no codes....usually means mechanical breakage
I nursed it home w/o issue. DS plugs look great; I got to the PS then next day. I already suspected cyl #6 is an issue; plug has been dry black since I got the car if running TR6 or TR55 plugs. Either injector or spring........

The rest of the plugs look like this

I called Dave@Cartek to see what "custom" dual springs they used in March of 2003 when they built the motor. Pioneers........
I told Julie, my wife 2 weeks before over the winter I will be taking the covers off & looking at the valve train!
I have been very happy with the set-up and expected something to break this year.........I keep up the PM, let it warm up completely before I drive it....but I push this car hard every time I drive it.
If that's all it is...........a set of springs each year is cheap!
That's what dual springs are for, save the motor :yesnod:
And now the break

Since then I have been doing my reasearch( **** Nuc Engineering background) I just got off the phone with Comp about their 921 kit ......They said the price will eventually come down but right now if they sell at $499 a kit.........then we will keep selling at $499 a kit
I asked him point blank why I should spend $210 more for his kit w/o locks.....
He said I have heard no bad about the PP gold kit..........nor have I and I have a local guy that has a new kit for $260. IT IS SOLD; I will be putting these in over the next few weeks.
Steve
Old 11-17-2004, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Terry@RacetechSpeed
The PRC kit will hold .660 lift.The springs coil bind @ .72 lift valve lift.
Ok, I am confused...if your spring coild binds at .72 isn't that .01 "sooner than the reported bind of .71 on the PP springs? I am assuming that coil bind means if you push the springs to say .72 inches then they will bind correct? So if you can push 1 spring to .71 and another to .72 before they bind wouldn't the one you could push farther bind later? Am I completely backwards? Is it .71 from the seat or the keeper? If it is from the keeper then my theory is correct if it is from the seat, I am and have always been thinking backwards. ??? Thanks and any help would be appreciated.
Matt