Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to replace the lifters w/new cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you have to replace the lifters w/new cam?

The GM Service Manual says that if you're replacing the camshaft, the valve lifters must also be replaced. I had a new motor built with a new cam, but do I have to replace the lifters or can I reuse the old ones? They only have about 31k miles on them and look good.

Thanks
Matt
Old 11-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y-man
The GM Service Manual says that if you're replacing the camshaft, the valve lifters must also be replaced. I had a new motor built with a new cam, but do I have to replace the lifters or can I reuse the old ones? They only have about 31k miles on them and look good.

Thanks
Matt
To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a cam manufacturer or engine builder that doesn't want you to change lifters when you change a cam out. These are two components that need to "break in" together. Edelbrock even has you run your engine at fast idle for 20 minutes and then change the oil and filter after a cam and lifter change. Regardless of whether you are a believer or not, the cost of a set of lifters is peanuts compared to the peace of mind that the parts are "matched" after break-in. Just my .02 worth, and comes from many engine assemblies worth of experience.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is not true for roller lifters. You do not have to replace the lifters with a new cam!!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

It has always been necessary to change lifters with flat tappet cams but with Roller lifters I don't see the need. Maybe someone from a manufacturer could chime in here but if the cam/lifter contact is a roling wheel there is no wear pattern to contend with between cams.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

I am still running stock lifters as are many other cam-swappers. I did change my oil after 100 miles on the new cam, though.

The only reason I'd upgrade my lifters is if one broke or I had a problem with valve float. If I did a head swap, I'd replace them too, but with less importance on the 'upgrade' part.

Hydraulic Roller set-ups are easy on cam/lifters.

Last edited by CamTom12; 11-22-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

When I put my cam in I re-used my 33k mile 1998 lifters. I disconnected the fuel pump fuse and primed them before starting. No problems yet!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y-man

Thanks
Matt
All of you are right IMHO

, but Matt didn't say roller lifters, what engine, cam or anything else so I responded with the standard flat tappet answer.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001GMC
All of you are right IMHO
, but Matt didn't say roller lifters, what engine, cam or anything else so I responded with the standard flat tappet answer.
Uhh, hello, this is LS1 tech not SBC tech.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Uhh, hello, this is LS1 tech not SBC tech.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Guys, I appreciate the input. It sounds like if I'm using a roller lifter/cam setup I'm fine with the reusing them. If I have flat tappet lifter/cam setup then I need to change them when I swap the cam.

Cool, thanks!
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (in the USA anyway)!
Matt
Old 11-24-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool, thanks!
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (in the USA anyway)!
Matt
Thanks but don't you think Americans abroad deserve a happy thanksgiving too, especially all our GI's all over the world?

To all our service men and women
Old 11-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

sorry, what I meant is Thanksgiving is a US holiday only and not celebrated by other countries. I meant no disrespect to us citizens abroad including our men and women of the services. I have friends and family members in IRAQ now and as an employee of a defense contractor, I take my job very seriously because I know that they're life depends on it.

Happy Thanksgiving to US citizens around the world
Matt

Quick Reply: Do you have to replace the lifters w/new cam?