Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on pushrods, Stock or Moly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Your thoughts on pushrods, Stock or Moly?

Well in my infinite brilliance as some of you may know I missed a 2-3 upshift and hit 1st instead. It doesnt APPEAR that I have any damaged pushrods but I figured since I was in there I should replace them anyhow. Now the fun question: I did a search on this topic and it appears there may be two schools of thought: one saying I should keep stock in case I do it again so I bend the pushrods rather than something else. The other saying Moly rods are ok, did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Any insight is appreciated..
Old 11-23-2004, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

If your on a stock cam, I would personally go with stock pushrods, for the reason you already stated.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I agree.....
With a stock cam there is no real reason to upgrade - saves you from bending valves instead.

Now, if you ever decide(or have) upgraded to a larger cam, then you'll need to make that decision - reason being, with a bigger cam you'll pretty much need to bump your rev limiter up. In bumping your limiter up you stand a chance of bending stock rods in the higher RPM's....thus the reason for stronger rods.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm thinkin about doing cam for sure and maybe heads, i was never aware of this bending of the pushrods and if i upgrade those then i have a chance of messin up the valve's instead. If i bought a set of complete heads, with the rocker arms and springs and everything, i shouldn't have any of those problems then will I? Won't have to worry about bending anything in that area, i'm aware i might mess up the rear end but i'm gonna go with a 9inch or 12bolt either before or after then, not sure yet.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

I have an A4 so I think forged should be the way to go right?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Change the valve springs and push rods. The valve springs in your stock engine suck....they are weak and were not intended for high rpm operation. Go comp 918 with ti retainers andthe moly push rods and call it a day. Then if you decide to go to a cam you have future room for growth!!!1
Old 11-24-2004, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbotacoma
Change the valve springs and push rods. The valve springs in your stock engine suck....they are weak and were not intended for high rpm operation. Go comp 918 with ti retainers andthe moly push rods and call it a day. Then if you decide to go to a cam you have future room for growth!!!1
I totally agree.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd go with Chromoly. On my 3-4th shift I accidently threw it in 2nd, bent 2 and broke 1 in about 3 weeks (when I first got the car). After that I had some chromoly pushrods dropped in and never broke or bent anything else. This was done when the car was bone stock.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

best pushrods are IRP or Manton...the IRP's are my favorite...big in the middle & one piece..dunno what its made of but they are light & stiff, probly some variance of unobtanium
Old 11-25-2004, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Again, just to give you a different point of view:

If you stay stock, I would not upgrade the pushrods. If you upgrade the rods you then are changing the "weak point" of the engine. Now, instead of the rods being the weak spot (which are pretty easy to change) you are now moving it to the valves.
I won't dissagree that in changing the rods you would strengthen the valvetrain some but if you do mis-shift hard the valves are the next thing to give......and I wasn't willing to take that risk/chance

I too, once upon a time, was learning proper shifting technique and made a few mis-shifts (3rd to 2nd). Bent some rods, which I replaced.....but never bent a single valve.

Good luck in your decision
Old 11-26-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

well this is an A4, so I shouldn't have to worry about missed shifts. I think I will go be safe, and forge when something breaks. Gives me an excuse to upgrade Thank you all for your replies