Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose..G1 or F13 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me choose..G1 or F13 cam?

I am on the fence between these two camshafts. I know they are completely different designs, but what be better suited for my application? My mods are in the sig.

I talked with MTI today and it seemed like a a pretty good fit. I haven't talked with Futral but will call soon.

-I am looking for drivability. I drive my car 3 days a week, 30 miles back and 30 miles forth from work. Frequently I get stuck in traffic (NJ traffic) and need it to coorperate. I like driving it too much to sacrifice and make it a track car.

-I don't want to spin past 6400. Its ok if it peaks there, as I will not spin past that on the stock short block.

-I would like to hit at least 400 with the cam. MTI said it was definately possibly, maybe a little more, but I don't know if I can get 50 from a cam. I'd also like to get into the high 11s with full weight.

-I only put about 7K on the car per year so I would like to go 2 years before changing springs but this probably won't be my last cam anyway.

-No P/V clearence. I know the only way is to check but I won't be removing the heads so I guess I can't

From what I read, these seem to all be in the relm of these cams (maybe not as much for the G1 since it new) but which one would I stand to make more power? I am partial to the comp lobes but I am intrigued by the cam-motion ones. Thanks. I am so
Old 11-24-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

The G1 would be pretty rough in NJ bumber to bumber. I am looking at MTI's stealth cam II..the few dynos I have seen indicate it would be very close if not a little over 400 RWHP. Can't beat the driveability of it either.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well all I can say is that i 'am going with the G1
Old 11-24-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00T\A
Well all I can say is that i 'am going with the G1
Why? What made that your final descision?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

(1)Well I live here in HTown right down the street from MTI.
(2) I have driven an seen the results of the G1 cam in cam only cars.
(3) I have a street car not a track car ,the G1 has very good street manners.
(4) Plus MTI doe's alot of research before they throw out a new camshaft.
(5) Last but not least it lopes just right
But also i have heard alot of good things about the FM13.
So i guess your best bet is to know what you want the cam to do an it also helps to know who you are dealing with.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with G1 also, not sure on the specs of the other, but I liked the lift, the 113 LSA (hoping for a nice mix between 114 and 112), and the larger exhaust duration will support a nitrous application in the future...plus, they have the 180 days no interest and I got their stage 2E heads at the same time!
Old 11-28-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK. I been doing some think about the extra duration on the exhaust side and wasn't sure if I need that. Now im really undecided. I have a fairly free flowing exhaust. I might go with a 228 single pattern being as I should be able to sqeeze out all the gas in a shorter, more aggressive profile if I can keep the velocity up. I might go FI in the future but I don't think the 4 degrees of overlap willl work and might have to drop down to something with less overlap. What do you guys think?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cam Motion lobes are a little softer than Comp XE-R. FM13 has excellent drivability, those cams can be tuned to be very drivable. The FM13 won't kill your springs, so you should be alright every 20k especially w/o lots of track time. If you're not going to be spraying more than a 150 shot, than the cam doesn't really matter a whole bunch. They all like the sauce FMS's cams have been puttin down some pretty strong numbers for a while now. the -13 should definitely get you close to/past 400. I've got my eye on the FM14 myself
Old 11-28-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

The F13 drives like stock - no surging, bucking, or killing at stops.