Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First heads/cam buildup what will I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First heads/cam buildup what will I need?

what are you guys getting as far as gasket kits are concerned? I know I need a single roller timing chain, chromoly pushrods. What else? What does head milling mean and how do I know for sure what pushrods to use. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd get a double roller timing chain, Rollermaster has a nice/cheap setup. pushrods, patriot performance has a good vavlespring package(but springs/retainers...outta come with your heads), might want to get ported ls6 oilpump, gaskets, and you probably outta go ahead and get new lifters. Just check on of the sponsors to the right ===========>
Old 11-30-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, might want to get some new rocker arms too, the stock ones are fine even for large lift cams but its an idea.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

k, some more dumb questions:

I'm all set on springs/retainers/locks. Why double roller vs. single roller timing chain? From what I've read I don't want to be adjusting my timing so I don't want double roller just stick with single roller right?

What is advantage of LS6 oil pump?

Why new lifters and rocker arms if the stock ones are fine?

Do I need to get arp bolts? They are looking to me like they are $230!!! That's a crapload for a few bolts. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id like to know too
Old 11-30-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

double roller chain is stronger than single roller.

you might not need a new ported/blueprinted oil pump because you have a 01 which has a better pump than the 98/99/00. I was told when i ordered my cam from TSP that he sold a cam of similar size a few weeks before to a guy who had a 98 and didn't get a ported oil pump. To make a long story short the engine siezed up on the guy. You might not need the better oil pump but if it were me i'd buy it just for a piece of mind.

You probably don't need different rocker arms and lifters but i was just throwing that out there as another option. I've been told that the stock arms work just fine.

And i'm not sure about the arp bolts, i've been wondering about that too.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got an tsp ls6 oil pump and it's the best reliability mod (next to trans/power steering coolers). oil pressure went from anemic 40-55psi to 65-75psi.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Default ARP Head Bolts

The ARP "bolts" aren't quite that bad...I think that you are looking at the "stud" pricing. I went with studs on my FI engine, but even then it was overkill...a good set of bolts (ARP) would've been fine and wouldn't present clearance problems for R&R on your car.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Save yourself some cash use (new) stock tty head bolts.
I have yet to hear of a stock headbolt failure the heads will actually lift around them worse case scenario. ARP's have been known to bottom out with milled heads (do a search) and with the studs an align bore is recommended in the I -Sheet.
$40 from PACE and your dialed.
Stock rockers are fine IMHO
Stock lifters are the best choice hands down IMHO

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Keep in mind guys, I've never done a heads/cam swap before, so talking bolts and studs I really don't understand diff.

Mirek: What did you mean by use new tty head bolts? Just get new GM bolts? Won't that wear into the motor more? And every time I pull the heads off I have to buy new GM head bolts? I read that these bolts stretch. Doesn't that leave the possibility for one of these bolts to snap off inside the motor?

What do you mean by the heads will lift around the bolts? Won't that be horrible?

So I have no hp or anything to gain from doing lfters/rockers? I want as much power as poss as reliably as poss without worrying about wasting money. Thank you everyone.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael Ozorowsky
Keep in mind guys, I've never done a heads/cam swap before, so talking bolts and studs I really don't understand diff.

Mirek: What did you mean by use new tty head bolts? Just get new GM bolts? Won't that wear into the motor more? And every time I pull the heads off I have to buy new GM head bolts? I read that these bolts stretch. Doesn't that leave the possibility for one of these bolts to snap off inside the motor?

What do you mean by the heads will lift around the bolts? Won't that be horrible?

So I have no hp or anything to gain from doing lfters/rockers? I want as much power as poss as reliably as poss without worrying about wasting money. Thank you everyone.
Well if you want to go as reliable as possible definitly get one of the ported oil pumps from one of the sponsors like TSP. I also know that Comp won't warranty their cam if new lifters are installed with the new cam, just a thought. And a few extra dollars for a double roller timing chain would be a good idea.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

The Torque to Yeild GM bolts will not break off in the block man. You did not say you intended to tear this down numerous times you stated a concern about cash which I can appreciate. If your gonna tear it down again and again go with ARP STUDS no question about that. When you do this and seek advise you need to be EXTREMELY specific not just about this in particular but about everything.
I mean that under extreme duress as the head gaskets blows you will find that the head will actually lift and the bolt will appear "sunk" for lask of a better description if that makes any sense.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

I have heard that double rollers cause problems, don't fit right with oil pumps and stuff.

Also, will a new timing chain last for a really long time?

When I am at idle, my oil pressure is at 40, when I floor the car, it goes up to about 55 or 60 (According to non accurate stock gauge). I THINK I should be good right? Or is it really recommended to get a new oil pump? What is the concensus there?

My biggest concern is about the bolts. I really do not want to spend that much money on some bolts if I don't have to. Thanks again all of youe.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Mirek: First of all thank you for your quick replies and your patience.

I do not intend to tear down my block several times, but this IS my first heads/cam build. So let's say I mess something up in the install, and have to tear the heads right back out after I install them (God I hope not) will I have to buy new bolts for a simple mistake?

If the bolt appears sunk, the block is still fine right? It's just the heads that would need to be reworked. Is that correct? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil pump is really recommended
Old 11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Dude just forget about that, I was attempting to illustrate (albeit poorly) the strength of the stock gm headbolts. Point is they will not fail you.

The studs are better for re-use primarily because you do not have to clean out the bolt holes (do not forget to do this BTW) next time around.

Good luck.
LS1HOWTO.COM
Old 11-30-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Mirek: Final 3 questions:

1) Do you recommend a new oil pump? Please scroll up for my current oil pressures

2) Double Roller timing chain or single which one?

3) Can I reuse the stock head bolts that are in car right now? Or do I have to buy new GM bolts? Let's say I put everything together with NEW GM head bolts, and I realize I screwd up and forgot to put pushrods in or something stupid, so I have to take the heads back out, will the NEW GM head bolts be wasted? Or can I just put the new ones back in, seeing as how they weren't even in there long enough for one motor startup? Thank you in advance for help.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Michael Ozorowsky
Mirek: Final 3 questions:

1) Do you recommend a new oil pump? Please scroll up for my current oil pressures

2) Double Roller timing chain or single which one?

3) Can I reuse the stock head bolts that are in car right now? Or do I have to buy new GM bolts? Let's say I put everything together with NEW GM head bolts, and I realize I screwd up and forgot to put pushrods in or something stupid, so I have to take the heads back out, will the NEW GM head bolts be wasted? Or can I just put the new ones back in, seeing as how they weren't even in there long enough for one motor startup? Thank you in advance for help.
1.if the pump is working good and have good pressure all the way to redline leave it alone
i have a 2000 that holds 45 at warm idle, 55-60 cruise and almost 80 at 6800
put over 10000 on my cam only setup w/o any issues now heads are going on over winter

2.rollmaster double cheap and good insurance because id replace the stock anyway

3.torque to yield = one time use , they stretch once torqued and if you re use them the torque readings will be incorrect.
use new bolts or stud it. i went arp studs for ease of working on the car or if i deck the new heads checking for piston clearance

4.gaskets
03 ls6 metal headgaskets-cheaper than felpro by a long shot gm list is under 30 each
front cover crank seal
intake gaskets
most of the others can be reused
Old 11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

1.My oil pump does the same as yours so I will reuse my current one to try and save a few dollars.

2.rollmaster double cheap and good insurance because id replace the stock anyway

--Any problems with replacing a double? I heard there are fitment problems.

3. So you can EITHER get arp studs OR bolts? Where did you buy your studs from? You can PM me if you want to.

4.gaskets
03 ls6 metal headgaskets-cheaper than felpro by a long shot gm list is under 30 each
front cover crank seal
intake gaskets
most of the others can be reused

I think it would be cheaper to get a gasket kit right? If I'm looking at $60 for JUST head gaskets.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

gasket kits are about 200 something i think. how do you adjust the double chains, i dont quite understand that one