Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: Ticking noise gone!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Update: Ticking noise gone!!!!!!!!!

Well just to update everyone incase some of you don't know I did a cam swap and oil pump swap with a double roller and after I got it all back together I was getting a really loud ticking noise coming from my driver side valve cover so I thought it was a bad lifter. So i pulled of the valve cover and ran it with it off and found out which one was making the noise went out and bought some comp lifters and before I put them in I decided to change the oil pump pickup o-ring everyone is talking about and low and behold voilla.... Fixed!!!!!! I was so pleased that this worked. Much easier fix than pulling the heads as well!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

is this a gm PN or something you buy at a hardware store?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

no there's a gm part number but I forgot what it is. I just went to my local Gm dealership and to them that I need an oil pump pickup tube o-ring. Make sure you get the blue one though the black ones are a little undersized.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can someone explain how this would cause a ticking noise?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
Can someone explain how this would cause a ticking noise?
Low oil pressure
Old 12-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Air geting pulled in and mix with the oil, I have a Ticking noise to im trying to get the dealer to fix to, Nice to hear somone fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!

J Rogers
Old 12-16-2004, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep the oil gets aerated and causes the lifter to compress the air
wanna sell the comp lifters??
Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Searches would be a lot better if everyone gave an update.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Mine ticked to high heaven after the cam swap...Put adjustable lifters on in place of the stock lifters and ticking noise went bye-bye...

Peace...Gman
Old 12-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hc_performance
Well just to update everyone incase some of you don't know I did a cam swap and oil pump swap with a double roller and after I got it all back together I was getting a really loud ticking noise coming from my driver side valve cover so I thought it was a bad lifter. So i pulled of the valve cover and ran it with it off and found out which one was making the noise went out and bought some comp lifters and before I put them in I decided to change the oil pump pickup o-ring everyone is talking about and low and behold voilla.... Fixed!!!!!! I was so pleased that this worked. Much easier fix than pulling the heads as well!!!
Thanks for the update! I agree with Tiger2o69, it would be nice if more of us would follow up with updates on their problems.

Hey hc,
I have a similar problem, but I experience absolutely no odd variations or drops in oil pressure and my ticking and tapping always starts about 15 minutes after the car has started and has warmed up and it does go away after about 5 minutes of acting up. I did pull the dipstick one time when it was ticking and noticed that there were quite a few bubbles in the oil but I just dismissed it thinking that it was because the car was running.

Did your ticking ever seem to go away or at least lessen if you left the car running? How did your oil pressure act before the o-ring change?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

At first I thought my oil pressure was fine becauseit would get to around 55 psi cold when I first started it, so I ruled out that the o-ring could be the problem. But when I would drive it for 15-20 minutes and come to a stop at a light or something the oil pressure would drop down to around 20 psi or so. My ticking never got any quieter but actually got louder the further I drove it. I would not drive it very far either because when it started ticking I was afraid that I could do damage to my valvetrain and even worse the bottom end. I had let the car sit up for a few weeks trying to figure out what I was going to do next and one night I just decided to pull the timing cover and oil pan and put a new o-ring in the oil pump pick tube because when I changed the old oil pump out I was stupid and thought that the old o-ring looked fine, I guess not. After I got it all back together I started it and saw about a 15-20 psi increase in oil pressure immediately. And it NEVER gets below 45 psi now. Needless to say I was very pleased. When I took the old o-ring out at first I was worried that this was not the probem because it looked fine only thing I noticed was that it was a little bit flat but that was it.
I am like you guys I always like seeing updates because it help everyone figure out what works and what doesn't so I always try to post results. In fact I would have never thought that the o-ring was the culprit if I had not read other posts on LS1Tech.com. This website is a Godsend IMHO. Props to everyone who started it!!!!! And to us members as well.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gman2002Z06
Mine ticked to high heaven after the cam swap...Put adjustable lifters on in place of the stock lifters and ticking noise went bye-bye...

Peace...Gman
This is what I thought was the problem at first with mine but mine ticking noise was distinctly coming from just one lifter or rocker not all of them so I kind-of ruled this out for me.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman2002Z06

Peace...Gman
Wow, never heard of lifters you could adjust...you sure you didn't mean adjustable rockers?