Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Gold Springs Failing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8er
This is good info and no doubt true, but maybe the small cams in the T1 cars are easier on the rockers than a G5X3, etc?
which was my major factoring reason of buying something aftermarket thinking it to be stronger ? I'll give it a shot and see what happens
Old 12-18-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In general lifter failure is due to wrong preload (too much). Also lifter preload shoud be done ho and not cold, which results in too tight tolerances upon heat pump up.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Restricted User

I agree with getting stock rockers modified. Soon as I can get a spare set, from a YT or HS user, I will get some modded lighter, "stock" rockers!
Good luck and please post back your findings.

Charlie
Old 12-19-2004, 02:24 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Just because you have broken one doesn't mean everyone else will! The point is, your case is a rarity.
No, it is not. The stock OEM rockers have been known to spill their bearings quite often. I've personally seen at least 3 such cars in just my city here. 2 of the cars were bone stock. The rocker failure seemingly has little to do with RPM, its just about when the stock rocker wants to spill its guts or not.

Now of course it doesnt mean everybody is going to have a rocker failure...for the past 4 years I've used nothing but stock rockers, but at the same time saying it is a "rarity" is a stretch. It is a very well known issue and one that I've seen happen more often than a rod bolt let go (which I have seen happen).
Old 12-19-2004, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

My G5X3 ran very well with the stock rockers...But, it was annoying to listen to...TAP, TAP, TAP...7.35 pushrods, G5X3 and stock rockers, don't make for a good quiet combination...

I added a set of CraneCam's Gold Adjustable Roller Rockers and they really feel as though they rev the engine much more freely and smoothly...Seat of the pants feels better down low and stronger up top right up to the 6800 rpm rev limiter...

ALSO...NICE AND QUIET...

Peace...Gman