Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autozone/sears spring compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:26 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i prefer the TDC method over the air compressor myself. the compressor is to cumbersome. i compress the spring and then use a pen magnet to make sure the valve is all the way up then drop the locks in. friction holds the vavle up long enough so it doesnt slip down.

to answer the question about the crank seal, its one piece. you tap the metal part to get it out. tapping the rubber just pokes holes into as you found.

oh ya, my lost lock ended up on under the steering wheel shaft on the k-memeber. i found it months later. might want to check your header too, a local guy i helped out during his swap lost a lock and it ended up stuck on bewteen 2 primaries near the collector.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blkz28spt: I was so worried about dropping a keeper in my motor I took a clean tee shirt and put it on my head all around the springs. Your probably ok, it fell on the k member and dissappeared. I found a clip that I lost from my tranny line over the summer on my k member when I swapped my springs.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JRP: thanks, guess i'll try pounding on the metal. I am now to the point of reinstalling the timing cover.

The K-member eats a LOT of things. I dropped my first 10mm gear wrench in there during header install and never even found it.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
JRP: thanks, guess i'll try pounding on the metal. I am now to the point of reinstalling the timing cover.

The K-member eats a LOT of things. I dropped my first 10mm gear wrench in there during header install and never even found it.
you lost a whole wrench , the k-member is like a black hole. one reason i replaced mine with tubular one

how'd lining up the dots go?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
you lost a whole wrench , the k-member is like a black hole. one reason i replaced mine with tubular one

how'd lining up the dots go?
In the middle of a cam install myself and managed to lose a new 10mm socket. Damn K-member.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 AM
11 Second Club

Lining up the dots went a lot quicker than I expected. Like the second try it was really damn close. We guestimate it looked like it was 1/4 tooth off but could be right on with the small amount of slack in the syestem. The car is 100% back together as far as I know. BUT since it's 3:35 am and everybody else is in bed.........I've worked all day since 11 am (when my kickass crane cams spring tool came arrived).........and I'm only 99% sure I did everything I am waiting until tomorrow to start it up so that I can double check everything, my dad can double check everything with me to try and spot something I may miss, and someobdy can watch fluids for me. GD I'm tired. Went from having only two springs installed to totally finished in one day. I think taht went alright I'll start a new thread once I get it started and I have a small list of recomendations/tips/etc on what ended up working for me.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:47 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Lining up the dots went a lot quicker than I expected. Like the second try it was really damn close. We guestimate it looked like it was 1/4 tooth off but could be right on with the small amount of slack in the syestem. The car is 100% back together as far as I know. BUT since it's 3:35 am and everybody else is in bed.........I've worked all day since 11 am (when my kickass crane cams spring tool came arrived).........and I'm only 99% sure I did everything I am waiting until tomorrow to start it up so that I can double check everything, my dad can double check everything with me to try and spot something I may miss, and someobdy can watch fluids for me. GD I'm tired. Went from having only two springs installed to totally finished in one day. I think taht went alright I'll start a new thread once I get it started and I have a small list of recomendations/tips/etc on what ended up working for me.
awesome man . now go get some sleep
Old 12-30-2004, 03:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
awesome man . now go get some sleep
Thanks, and good idea!!! Just as so on as I finish my ravioli and chocolate milk.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats man. Lets us know how that crane tool worked out for ya. Did you end up using compressed air ?

Please do share anything that was worth noticing...I'll be doing my cam swap in a couple months. It's still too cold here in chicago area. Even in garage.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AdamSS
Congrats man. Lets us know how that crane tool worked out for ya. Did you end up using compressed air ?

Please do share anything that was worth noticing...I'll be doing my cam swap in a couple months. It's still too cold here in chicago area. Even in garage.
Yes I'll be doing that post later today.. FYI: I am at home right now in Hobart, IN (not far from chicago at all) and some days it was 25-35* in the garage.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

I threw out my Autozone spring compressor. It sucked *** for spring swaps on the car. Got tired of retainers and locks exploding everywhere if the tool wasn't lined up perfectly. I ending up making a tool like I saw on here somewhere. It's just a piece of steel bar that bolts on it place of the rocker arm. Tighten it down and tap it a little to free the locks. It leaves you two hands free to work while the spring is compressed.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Go to NAPA, they have a great part for $30.00.

Quick Reply: autozone/sears spring compressor question