Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rollmaster/oil pump install....new found experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My rollmaster/oil pump install....new found experience

Just some info beacause I know the ls1howto leaves this detail out.

Rollmaster cam gear

I originally purchased a posi lock 104 puller model from sears but it didnt work for the ASP so I was already to return, however, it worked great on the crank gear. Popped off no problem. To reinstall the rollmaster cam gear I used the stock and a rubber mallet to "bang" it on.

Oil pump

I was getting very very frustrated becasue I couldn't get the pump to aligh to the crank gear (all the while putting pressure on the pickup tube) and could not get it the inerds to line up. So before I threw it across the room I came up with the idea to use the stock crank gear to set up the keys inside the pump (only works if installing or have installed an aftermarket and have the stocker handy). I kept it there and oriented the keys to match the new crank gear setting/position. At this point the pump is tilted a bit. I then pushed the the pickup tube low enough to clear the casting, started sliding the oil pump from the old onto the new. Worked pretty good

Pickup tube bolt

I stuffed one old Tshirts on the left side and another on the around the back of the pickup tube. Then I used aluminum foil to make a tray right under the bolt hole so it would be easy to grab if dropped. The Tshirts ran behind it and served as a good backing/buffer so I could mold the the foil into a cup. Otherwise I couldn't get it to form correctly. Then I wrapped solder around the bolt, put in the gearwench and then wrapped the solder around the gear wench. I actually had to take the wench out of the equation later on cause I couldn't get the bolt into the pickup hole (installed a double roller and clearence was tighter than stock) and then put the gear wrench on it. Still didn't work because the wrench wouldn't ratchet since there wasn't enough resistance from the threads yet so I used two fingers. While doing this I had to get creative with the prybars to get the pickup tube flange up to the pump. It seemed to work after time and alot of cursing. I have pics I will be posting later.

Last edited by BLASTER; 01-02-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this a bunch of times already, but this is how you save a lot of grief. Pull off the pump cover. Take the gears out. This allows you to wriggle the pump body around enough to get the pickup tube inside of the pump without straining so much. Now put everything back together. There should be 0.002" between the crankshaft and the inner pump gear at 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Thanks for the info. I am doing one this weekend.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Bowling; 03-01-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used needle nose pliers and a gearwrench to put the pick up tube bolt back in. It worked great.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLASTER
I originally purchased a posi lock 104 puller model from sears but it didnt work for the ASP so I was already to return, .
So what did you end up using for the ASP that worked well?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr2guru
My dad's old Snap-on versitile 2 jaw set. Just set up the right sized jaws and hooked it up. Worked great.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by mr2guru
The ASP has three screw holes that I would think you could use a standard puller on.

Bill
Old 03-02-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

pics soon and any more info possible as i'm doing one this weekend as well...