Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purpose of coating pistons? Heat? Detonation?

Old 01-06-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purpose of coating pistons? Heat? Detonation?

What is the purpose of coating pistons? Is it to protect the piston from heat?

I am putting together a stock LS1 using stock pistons. If I can get the top of the stock pistons coated for a reasonable price, and it will help prevent detonation or help to protect the piston in the event of small detonation it would be worth it to me.

Would it be beneficial to do so? And if so, what kind of coating should I look into?

I'm not going with a forged piston. I dont want to spend the money on machine work and balancing. I just want to throw this together and blow 200-250 at it and see how good I can do on stock internals.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The coating is an attempt to 1 keep combustion heat in the chambers by 'reflection' which keeps the pistons from absorbing the heat; and 2 to keep carbon from sticking. You can do this to your cylinder head chambers/valve faces as well. However, some think the coating may somewhat induce detonation because it can hold heat. Personally, I think the first little bit of the incoming fuel charge sufficiantly cools the coating w/o heating up more than that first part of the charge.

Distortion comes into play when a metal absorbs enough heat. If heat is reflected instead of absorbed, the object has a better chance of holding its form which helps keep clearances in check
Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM
SSU Moderator

You can actually coat your pistons, etc. at home. You just need a spare oven and some time (it just sprays on).
Old 01-06-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Have a look for a process called Keroniting.

It was originally used by the russians on their fighter jets but now we can do it. Instead of a coating sprayed or painted onto the crown it's actually embedded into the piston crown so can never fail or flake off. Be warned, it's probably expensive! In addition to the other posts above, heat in the combustion chamber represents expansion power. Heat absorbed my the head and pistons is lost energy. It will give you some extra leaway with detonation but won't stop a blow up if your engine's set up wrong.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

The "reflecting heat" theory makes sense.

Now the question is what kind of coating should I look into? Emphasis on inexpensive How much am I looking at to take them to a reputable shop? (there is a piston manufacturer local to me) What do I buy if I choose to do it myself? Does it come in a can or something?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K2LS1
The "reflecting heat" theory makes sense.

Now the question is what kind of coating should I look into? Emphasis on inexpensive How much am I looking at to take them to a reputable shop? (there is a piston manufacturer local to me) What do I buy if I choose to do it myself? Does it come in a can or something?
there are a few out there,but the only one i can think of off the top of my head is Swain Coatings.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just pull a net search for 'engine coatings'. You'll get a few. Swain has a great reputation. I'm not sure what it'd cost just for piston tops.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Try this link... http://techlinecoatings.com/Engine.htm they have many types of coatings available that you can apply yourself. I have purchsed the Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC, this is what you are referring to when you talk about coating the piston crown) and the dry film lubricant (this is the balck areas on the skirts of the newer LS pistons). There is also a product to coat the inner surfaces of the engine that facilitates oil flow back into the pan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purpose of coating pistons? Heat? Detonation?