Sponsored by:

Ticking from passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Ticking from passenger side

2000 TA with 41k stock everything

Recently I missed a shift on the highway, and overrevved the engine. I got off the highway and drove home slow. When I got home i noticed a ticking noise comming from my engine. My oil psi never dropped and even now i still hear the tick, but psi is perfect. When i start the engine cold the noise is barely noticable, as soon as the engine warms up you can hear the noise, sounds like lifter clatter. The engine runs perfect no skips, idles great. The noise sounds like its comming from the passenger side valvecover, so i pulled the cover off. I inspected the pushrods and found one that is bent, not bent like a bananna, but it wobbles when i roll it on glass. Second cylinder in on passenger side, intake valve pushrod. I was wondering what the possibility of my problem being more than just a bent pushrod. Noise is there once engine warms up, perfect psi, runs great, idles perfect, no skip. Please help
Old 01-08-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tripdagoat
2000 TA with 41k stock everything

Recently I missed a shift on the highway, and overrevved the engine. I got off the highway and drove home slow. When I got home i noticed a ticking noise comming from my engine. My oil psi never dropped and even now i still hear the tick, but psi is perfect. When i start the engine cold the noise is barely noticable, as soon as the engine warms up you can hear the noise, sounds like lifter clatter. The engine runs perfect no skips, idles great. The noise sounds like its comming from the passenger side valvecover, so i pulled the cover off. I inspected the pushrods and found one that is bent, not bent like a bananna, but it wobbles when i roll it on glass. Second cylinder in on passenger side, intake valve pushrod. I was wondering what the possibility of my problem being more than just a bent pushrod. Noise is there once engine warms up, perfect psi, runs great, idles perfect, no skip. Please help
Change the pushrod and count your blessings. It's normal for rocker noise to increase as the engine heats up.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check your pushrods.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Default yikes!!

I just finished checking my pushrods, found the source of my noise, one looks like an s one looks like a bananna. So I guess put a set of hardened pushrods in and hope for the best. What are the odds that i have somthing else damaged now knowing this new info? Also which are the best bang for the buck in terms of pushrods. Thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2005, 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tripdagoat
I just finished checking my pushrods, found the source of my noise, one looks like an s one looks like a bananna. So I guess put a set of hardened pushrods in and hope for the best. What are the odds that i have somthing else damaged now knowing this new info? Also which are the best bang for the buck in terms of pushrods. Thanks for the help
Pay for shipping and I'll send you all the stock ones you can use.

Comp 7.400s are good aftermarket ones.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by narcszm
Pay for shipping and I'll send you all the stock ones you can use.

Comp 7.400s are good aftermarket ones.
Thanks for the offer, and while I only want to miss a shift once, I only want to replace my pushrods once as well Hopefully it wont happen again, but better safe than sorry.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ahve some Thunder Racing 7.400s that are nice i am happy with
BTLFEDSS
Old 01-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Default length

should i go with the slightly shorter rods or stick with the 7.40?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Default Its fixed!!!

Well I replaced the pushrods, started the car and no noise let it warm up, sounds better than the day I bought it!!

Now all I need to do is put my mods on and ill be ready for summer
Old 01-09-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I replaced my pushrods, my ticking went away too. Now I am not embarassed to have my car idling around people.