Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hugger1975
jason just reccommnded that cam to me.
what mad u do that over the f13?

i was going back and forth 4 weeks myself. have not made a purchase as
i have to drive 500 miles for the install at txspeed anyway.
but i wanna be sure i make the right descision.
keep us posted on power, install, etc
Over the F13? Just like the Torquer initially and this cam sounded even better, and I just liked the torque curve it put down.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hugger1975
jason just reccommnded that cam to me.
what mad u do that over the f13?
I'm getting this cam also, I chose it over the f13 because it peaks earlier. FMS told me my shift points would be 6700-6800 w/ the f13. TSP told me no higher than 6600, probably 6500. I can't wait to get it in, but who knows how long til I have the time to actually install it.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered mine yesterday, I can't wait til I get it! :-D
Old 01-12-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I ran 11.56 at 119 mph untuned on the fm13 cam and shifted at 6600 rpms.

Does this mean that I can notice a difference if I go to 6800? Probably not enough to be worth running that hard.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

wow,
think i know what i am getting after alot of reading.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

car is torn down right now went with the prc dual's just for assurance didn't want to take a chance and have to spend the money anyway later on. should be up and running by this weekend. will post in and let you know how it goes.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It surprises me how many people make a big deal out of these shelf cams. Just because some vendor puts out a odd numbered cam instead of a even, dosen't make it any diffrent from the others. LG has had the same cam out for over 2 years. The X2 and X3 fall within the margins of these cams. I'm not trying to down any vendors cams, and I'm glad you guys like these cams, but why would you choose this as compared to the other cams listed above? Do some of you not look that far into it? Not bashing, just wondering?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
It surprises me how many people make a big deal out of these shelf cams. Just because some vendor puts out a odd numbered cam instead of a even, dosen't make it any diffrent from the others. LG has had the same cam out for over 2 years. The X2 and X3 fall within the margins of these cams. I'm not trying to down any vendors cams, and I'm glad you guys like these cams, but why would you choose this as compared to the other cams listed above? Do some of you not look that far into it? Not bashing, just wondering?
I have been trying to decide on a cam for quite a while, and have done quite a bit of research.
I chose this cam mainly because it peaks earlier than the cams mentioned in this thread. I also did not know that LG offered this same cam. I would in fact be surprised if it was the same cam. Are you sure it is the same lobes and all, not just the same duration @ .05? Not sure if you know this, but it has been pretty well confirmed that the X2 (for sure) & X3 are shelf cams also. I don't really know that there is to much of a point of going with custom cam for a stock headed street car, which is what I have. If there is a big advantage, please explain it to me. I'm not trying to start either, just explaining myself.

Craig
Old 01-12-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From the numbers posted in other threads, the lobes mimick that of the XE-R. It may still be ground by someone else, but the numbers are the same. This cam dosen't have the "exact" specs of the LG cams, but it falls right in between. 1 degree of duration either way isn't going to make a drastic diffrence. Also, where a cam peaks can be determined by many factors. Just because a cam peaks at 6600, dosen't mean it won't hold that number for a few hundred rpm's. If your picking cams off of pek power figures, then a cam that falls into a range would be a more acceptable way of choosing. Since every car is diffrent, it's hard to give a definate answer as to where it will peak in your car. In some cases, you may rule out a better cam because someone said it peaked 6800, when in fact it may peak at 6500 and cary peak to 6800. It's all in the combo. If you want a cam that peaks earlier, just tighten up the LSA and throw in some advance. I guess I'm just trying to say that these cams are nothing magical and new, because that is the way some seem to be taking it. Also, Craig, your post was exactlly what I was looking for. A well mannered approach to what I said. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which 'other cams listed above' are you talking about? I chose this not due to a lack of research, thank you, but because I honestly liked the numbers it put down, the power band, torque curve, etc., etc., not because it resembles a G5X2. Even if I did choose it because of that route, it's still $170 cheaper. LG's are off the shelf cams too, I see nothing wrong with TSP cams. May I ask what you are running yourself?
Adam
Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats something thats been on my mind as well. im very curious to see the advertised duration of some of these cams. 233/233, 233/239, 237/242 would all make very similar power all things being equal and yet people try and disect the **** out of them.

i remember when TR had the overlay of there tr224, tr227, and tr230 and all the tq curves were near idential within 3rwtq and with 10rwhp of each other.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

That's what I was doing, disecting the **** out of a bunch of pretty similar cams. I finally said screw it and just picked one that a. peaks early from what I've seen, b. has a split that be suitable for future n20 applications, c. will sound means as hell through my duals, and d. won't be a terror on valve springs. This cam in not on XER lobes, some where in the lunati lobes of the tsp 231/237 and XER is what I've been told.
I wasn't going to spend the time and money to get a custom cam fit for a race car, that's not my goal. I'm building a street car, not a race car. There are other cams that will do the job just as good or better than the this one, if I don't like it I can always change it. I should also mention that this will be my first cammed car, so it is kind of an experimental process for me.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TSP 233/239? If you're going to go this far, why not just go a little bigger and put in the Magic Stick (TSP 237/242?) I agree, the number of similar cam choices boggles the mind.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

uh, want the tsp 233/239 or 233/233 make more lowend tq and be more streetable then the 237/242? maybe the 237/242 will make 5 more peak hp, but the 233/239 will drive fine with a 3500 stall and 3.73 gear, the 237/242 calls for atleast a 3800-4200 and 4.10 gears does it not? i could be way wrong here, but this was my reason for the 233/239.. about as big as i could go without being to damn big for my taste!

but, i know other companies offer similar cams.. my buddy bought a 230/237 custom grind comp cam or some **** the other day.. but he paid like 429$ for it wherever he got it from, the tsp is 310 and proven, never heard of my buddy's "custom cam" id say hes taking a risk .. and ive never heard any complaints about quality have ya'll? seriously, jw, not trying to sound like i know it all, cuase im far from that.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

hell if someone says i can run that 3500-3600 stall i plan on getting and 3.73's and drive the 237/242 on the street every other day like i would do cruising around, then by all means post up and convince me.. long as i wont lose any et n/a or n2o id consider rethinking my above post.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just talked to Trevor at TSP about this, and he said there wasn't much difference in the lowend power between these cams, so they all should be about as streetable. But of course I have an M6, so he might not have pointed out the A4 issues to me. I called him to order the 233/233, but he talked me into going bigger.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
TSP 233/239? If you're going to go this far, why not just go a little bigger and put in the Magic Stick (TSP 237/242?) I agree, the number of similar cam choices boggles the mind.
One main reason, the power band. I don't like how high up in the RPM range the MS3's power starts as compared to the 233/239.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm...why did i choose TSP233/239 over the G5x2 or the G5x3.....

1) It was cheaper(bought my tsp cam for 310 shipped)
2) I like the customer service TSP provides
3) It was openly discussed RECENTLY, therefore, i have people to go back to when i put my cam in if i have any questions
4)most importantely They don't keep their cam's specs secret which I think is flat out STUPID. Why would someone want to buy a cam.....then ask the vendor what the specs are to be sure of a certain power output, or better yet, if it'll even fit in their setup, and the response from the vendor is......"that's classified".....no, that's just stupid....

Please don't drag other vendors into this thread and ruin it. This thread has been very helpful for people looking for a "certain" cam to fit what they want their car to become/perform........

Thanks for the inputs!!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim99ws6

3) It was openly discussed RECENTLY, therefore, i have people to go back to when i put my cam in if i have any questions
4)most importantely They don't keep their cam's specs secret which I think is flat out STUPID. Why would someone want to buy a cam.....then ask the vendor what the specs are to be sure of a certain power output, or better yet, if it'll even fit in their setup, and the response from the vendor is......"that's classified".....no, that's just stupid....

Please don't drag other vendors into this thread and ruin it. This thread has been very helpful for people looking for a "certain" cam to fit what they want their car to become/perform........

Thanks for the inputs!!
What? You mean to tell us that you're worried about knowing paltry little details like "specs" when installing something as insignificant as a camshaft in your car?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6

Thanks for the inputs!!
completely agree.

Quick Reply: I just ordered my new cam (TSP 233/239)