Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all of you w/rod bolt ?s come inside. Rod bolts 101, numerous threads summarized!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went down the list of sponsors and checked almost every website to see who sells the Katechs, but had no luck finding them. How did the Katechs come into play if none of the sponsor sell them, or at least I didnt see that they did. I could see if it were a product that many sponsors carried and became popular or commonly talked about, but its just like they popped up out of no where. I dont doubt either one because I dont have any personal experience, but I was just curious as to how the Katechs came into the game. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSP can get them. I think they quoted me around $165 for them. Any sponsor that sells the katech belt tensioner can also get their hands ont he Katech rod bolts. Be warned though, Katech aparently thinks highly of their rod bolts.......I just went with the Arp's for that reason
Old 01-22-2005, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job on the write up.
When's the last time anyone has heard of a rod bolt breaking?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

I have installed about 6 sets of ARPs with no issues but I like the summary you wrote up. Lots of interesting stuff.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:51 AM
9 Second Club NA

Well it seems that lots of people have had good luck with the ARP rod bolts and then there has been those few unfortunate ones, but has anyone had proof that the Katechs work without any problems? I still dont see how they came into the picture if they arent a popular item or something that almost all the sponsors sell. I dont see too much on them, kinda makes me wonder if I should consider them. You have the few who say they are going with the Katechs when it comes time, those who say if they had to do it again, they would go with the Katechs, etc., but has there be anyone that has actually installed them without any problems? Now Im stumped on whether I should chance my luck with the ARPs. Hell, seems like I would be chancing it as well with the Katechs. ARP is a very popular brand and almost every company carries them, how come Katech rod bolts arent such a hot thing? I guess I would feel more comfortable about them if more people tried them out and sponsors actually advertised them on their websites.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

Just wondering if anyone else has any more info that would like to share on this topic, particularly the Katechs. I've run into more info on the ARPs than the Katechs. How many of you went with the Katechs? I cant remember if I read that some did or not. Also, has anyone found a sponsor(s) that sell the Katech rod bolts? I posted in the Sponsor Section but had no luck with any responses from the Sponsors.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Yep.. thats my car. Just about everybody has missed a shift in my car. Lol. The engagement on the clutch was so fudged with no shims and some wear on it that it was hard to get it in any gear.. much less the right one.. You'd force it and it'd knock you out and sorta push you over.. The bottomend hasn't skipped a beat. 7k.. several times. Usually shifted at 6800 at the track, however. It'd gesture to say its seen 6800-7k at least 500 times though.

The motor is going to be torn down before the next week or two thanks to some tax cash I can have Allan take a look at it and see how they looked.

Peace,
Josh
Old 02-01-2005, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

I talked with guy who contributed the developement on the rod bolts from Katech and he said that you torque them down to 50 ft. lbs. and call it a day. He said that the torque procedure isnt really necessary with these bolts. He also said that they are the same weight and length as the stock bolts and theres no need to resize anything. He said the main purpose of the rod bolts being produced is so that you can take the old ones out and put the new ones in. He was saying that I would be ok to spin 7k rpms, but the next weakest link in the bottom end of the motor would be the rods themselves. Should I be worried now about the rods?

Quick Reply: For all of you w/rod bolt ?s come inside. Rod bolts 101, numerous threads summarized!