Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric water pump and underdrive pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Electric water pump and underdrive pulleys?

I was thinking about getting the Meziere electric water pump and some underdrive pulleys. Is it a bad idea to mix the two since the underdrive pulleys mess with the electrical and I would be added another electrical device? I know ASP offers all the pulleys you would need, while SLP only seems to offer the harmonic balancer pulley. What are the benefits or downside to any of this and which would be the best way to go?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Teching In

I was thinking the same thing

someone chime in and help us out...
Old 01-30-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of people have just the balancer pully and run large stereo's, so I don't see where it would be a problem. The WP isn't going to draw as much current as a large amp. The A4 cars would have a problem long before a M6 though.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with Beast. Given an A4's lower idle it would be a problem compared to an M6's.

I have the Crank Pulley and EWP with a 300 watt amp pushin' a little 10" sub with no problems.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your alternator is putting out VERY little current at idle in either a six speed or a auto. It doesnt really "charge" unless you are driving it around.

The EWP is fine with underdrive pulleys, it pulls very little current compared to other things in your car.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running both (the ASP underdrive pulley and the Mezierre WP) with NO issues and a high powered stereo in the car as well (3 amplifiers, almost 1000 watts total). I love the EWP because at an idle, your still getting max water flow thru the engine, not too mention its great for chassis dyno testing for much quicker cool downs between runs. For the $750 or so you will lay out for both you will probably see about an honest 10 RWHP total gain in power....dont be adding up the "claims" from both...it doesn't work that way. It's not cheap power per dollar, but it's not horrible either. If your looking for all that you can grab, its a must do in my book with no downsides except the lightening of your wallet.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
with the undersize pulleys, the only issue is at idle. When I say an issue, the volt meter shows very low voltage - light dim, etc. If you live a cold part of the world and sit in a lot traffic, I would reconsider that option.
Bill
Old 01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Folks
with the undersize pulleys, the only issue is at idle. When I say an issue, the volt meter shows very low voltage - light dim, etc. If you live a cold part of the world and sit in a lot traffic, I would reconsider that option.
Bill
I should have mentioned I do have a 6 spd and it idles right at 850 RPM....At that idle speed however, I dont notice dimming lights or anything that would cause concern.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I should have mentioned I do have a 6 spd and it idles right at 850 RPM....At that idle speed however, I dont notice dimming lights or anything that would cause concern.
My idle is set to 900.

I was hoping by chaning the pulleys, throwing in an electric water pump, carbon fiber driveshaft, and Spec clutch that I would get about 25rwhp. Does that seem possible?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I've been running both (the ASP underdrive pulley and the Mezierre WP) with NO issues and a high powered stereo in the car as well (3 amplifiers, almost 1000 watts total). I love the EWP because at an idle, your still getting max water flow thru the engine, not too mention its great for chassis dyno testing for much quicker cool downs between runs. For the $750 or so you will lay out for both you will probably see about an honest 10 RWHP total gain in power....dont be adding up the "claims" from both...it doesn't work that way. It's not cheap power per dollar, but it's not horrible either. If your looking for all that you can grab, its a must do in my book with no downsides except the lightening of your wallet.

I was wondering what size belt are you using, I just installed an ewp(asp underdrive pulley already on) and it seems my belt is a little too tight?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by kapsz28
My idle is set to 900.

I was hoping by chaning the pulleys, throwing in an electric water pump, carbon fiber driveshaft, and Spec clutch that I would get about 25rwhp. Does that seem possible?
Assuming you use an aluminum flywheel to reduce rotating mass, I would say about 15-18 HP in total gains. I think 25 RWHP would be wishfull thinking but would be very curious to see the outcome.

As far as the question concerning my "belt length", Im not sure if F-Body accessories are the same as C5 stuff....the length of my belt could be completely different...Any input on that?

Quick Reply: Electric water pump and underdrive pulleys?