Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decking of aluminum block, deck height or iron liner etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Decking of aluminum block, deck height or iron liner etc

Anyone had any problems with decking the aluminum blocks? From the factory the iron liners sit above the alum deck a few thousands to help seal around the head correct? Anyone had a problem with a flat decked block, and when the motor expands the liner sits a couple thou under the deck?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Decking the LS1 blocks

GM machines the decks flush just as I do after sleeve installation. Used blocks sometimes have the sleeves slightly proud of the deck surface. This I believe is caused by the aluminum shrinking slightly over time - stress relief. In any case, MLS gaskets require a flush surface. The graphite gaskets will accept some misalignment between sleeves and block face. I do a lot of blocks here, a lot of LS1 blocks as well as Honda, Nissan, Porsche, Ford, Subaru, Viper, etc. Never had any sort of problem with decking the blocks flat. I use Cometic gaskets exclusively by the way.

Steve

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Anyone had any problems with decking the aluminum blocks? From the factory the iron liners sit above the alum deck a few thousands to help seal around the head correct? Anyone had a problem with a flat decked block, and when the motor expands the liner sits a couple thou under the deck?
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 01-31-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
GM machines the decks flush just as I do after sleeve installation. Used blocks sometimes have the sleeves slightly proud of the deck surface. This I believe is caused by the aluminum shrinking slightly over time - stress relief. In any case, MLS gaskets require a flush surface. The graphite gaskets will accept some misalignment between sleeves and block face. I do a lot of blocks here, a lot of LS1 blocks as well as Honda, Nissan, Porsche, Ford, Subaru, Viper, etc. Never had any sort of problem with decking the blocks flat. I use Cometic gaskets exclusively by the way.

Steve
Steve do you only offer sleeving blocks or other machine services as well?

Floyd.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default other work

No, I do other work as well. I do flow testing - port development work on my SuperFlow 1020 as well as competion valve jobs, etc., camshaft testing, evaluation with my high definition Cam Doctor, computerized engine simulations using Dynomation for cam, intake and exhaust configuration testing and engine building as time permits.

I do a lot of blocks here, work with Darton on R&D and also sell CNC machines to other shops for block blueprinting, sleeve installation. This leaves me little time to build many engines here myself. Therefore I am presently negotiating with a couple of my local trusted engine building friends so we can shortly offer, LS short blocks, heads, and or complete engines in various states of tune and to meet various budgets through my shop. I will put a post up when we are ready.

Steve

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
Steve do you only offer sleeving blocks or other machine services as well?

Floyd.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net

Quick Reply: Decking of aluminum block, deck height or iron liner etc