Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, it finally happened... a lifter fell during a cam swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you have to pull the head? Can't you just put them lifters back in through the top and be done with it?
Also why weren't you using those dowl rods to hold up the lifters, seems like very cheap insurance, can't even understand why people use those pen magnet things to hold them up when you can just use the rods
Old 02-23-2005, 02:55 AM
Launching!

You have a PM, glad to see you finally got those SOB's pulled out.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by d james
Why do you have to pull the head? Can't you just put them lifters back in through the top and be done with it?
Also why weren't you using those dowl rods to hold up the lifters, seems like very cheap insurance, can't even understand why people use those pen magnet things to hold them up when you can just use the rods
The lifters are located under the heads on a LS1 engine. To get them back in you HAVE to pull the head. I wasn't using rods with it because I've changed a pretty large amount of cams without using any rods. I bought me some 5/16 round stock last night and I'll be using them on the cam swap I do tonight.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

did you use magnets? ive seen a lot where those rods dont work put them in before you pull the cam and see if you can push the lifters back down on the cam, just curious, good job on getting the 4 out and good luck with the cam swap tonite? what time are you down to now on a cam/springs swap?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
did you use magnets? ive seen a lot where those rods dont work put them in before you pull the cam and see if you can push the lifters back down on the cam, just curious, good job on getting the 4 out and good luck with the cam swap tonite? what time are you down to now on a cam/springs swap?
I don't really trust the magnet thing, I've had too many of those cheap *** things come apart on me. I bought one of those trick *** crane valvespring tools I'm going to try tonight. I'm sure that will take some time off the valvesprings. I had been using my own home made tool until it finally broke Sunday. Best I can figure it lasted thru about 25 or 30 swaps. I'm getting to where I can do them pretty quick. I'm doing a truck tonight, I hate those SOB's, everything is WAY up in there and a PITA to get to. All the stuff on my car is held in by wire ties or velcro, so that makes it really quick to swap sticks in
Old 02-23-2005, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Congrats, I havent worked on a LS1 yet. Didnt know they were such a PITA. That pic with the coors sitting on the core support looks like summer around my shop
Old 02-23-2005, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is why i used dowel rods from home depot. $5.00 saves a lot of trouble.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gomer
I'm doing a truck tonight, I hate those SOB's, everything is WAY up in there and a PITA to get to.
A nice trick for working on trucks is to let all the air out of the front tires until the SOB is sitting on the rims. That gets things within easyer reach.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:14 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gomer
I'm doing a truck tonight, I hate those SOB's, everything is WAY up in there and a PITA to get to. All the stuff on my car is held in by wire ties or velcro, so that makes it really quick to swap sticks in
i find trucks easier to work on :dunno:

and , thats funny ****.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:16 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Gomer i've got a bunch of spare (brand new in package) head bolts if you need them. Cover shipping and their yours.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
Gomer i've got a bunch of spare (brand new in package) head bolts if you need them. Cover shipping and their yours.
Thanks for the offer man! But, I happen to have a few of them laying around here I had to do that truck tonight, but I'm going to finish the "dropped lifter bitch from hell" tomorrow night.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

man i feel for ya. im just curious if you checked the lifters before you pulled the cam. when we changed my buddies cam we found that a couple lifters werent holding up. so we tested each port by sticking a pushrod and if it would fall with the weight of the pushrod we werent satisfied. we ended up useing rods and pen magnets, i gaurantee a lifter woulda fallen had we not used both. this was on a car that already had heads/cam. my stock car probably woulda held up fine with the russian roulette method but i cant see how you would want to temp that. oh well lession learned, good luck getting her back together.

Quick Reply: Well, it finally happened... a lifter fell during a cam swap.