Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak! MTI 427

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
This is what happens when everyone tries to keep their problems hush hush so that the vendor will take care of them. It is a shame. I know of a few people who got burnt bad over sleeved motors from MTI and Morgan Motorsports. Hopefully people will search these posts and do their homework better before making the same mistake. The problem is more common that what you read...
I agree I know of a local that had a Z07 package and dropped dry sleeves on 2 motors. The motor were repaired without argument but the owner still had to pull and ship the motor to Tx.

Last edited by 93Polo; 02-24-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
This is what happens when everyone tries to keep their problems hush hush so that the vendor will take care of them. It is a shame. I know of a few people who got burnt bad over sleeved motors from MTI and Morgan Motorsports. Hopefully people will search these posts and do their homework better before making the same mistake. The problem is more common that what you read...
Thats why I started this thread. At this point I want nothing from MTI, free or not.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of justification for a C5R block can come from incidentals. Lets assume that MTI will honor their warrantee on whatever shortblock you buy from them. *IF* you dont live in TX, the cost of either paying to R&R the engine or ship the car back/forth to MTI can become significant. I had a dry sleeve motor which was replaced on warrantee with a wet sleeve motor for the cost of the sleeves. If you add the price of the original dry sleeve block, plus the core, plus the wet sleeves, plus the tranportation of the car back/forth to TX... I should have gone for a C5R block instead. Would I go to MTI again? Sure. I would have bought a C5R block in the first place though. I only have 700 miles on the current engine, but its using oil in huge amounts (I think one of the heads is cracked...not an MTI issue). I cannot exactly sleep soundly at night as if I had a C5R block. Was I told that the Wet-sleeve process was a perfect science? Sadly I was. But then again I was told the dry sleeve process had been worked out too. I'm going to learn one of these days. Either way, I don't have many miles on the car :-/ and I'd really LIKE to move to a 4" stroke. Wisely, I went all-bore thinking that the block/sleeving process could be trouble, and I wanted to get it sorted out before moving to the bigger stroke. I also don't need to spend the big $$$ on Lunati billet stuff, and last time I checked, it was all MTI installed.

One of the issues at play here is that MTI has been very good to most of us, even if there have been sleeve problems. MTI rescued me from ARE back when Jeff was the shop foreman, and I was ready to kiss their feet. I have had nothing but fantastic dealings with them on every aspect of the engine, though I almost *always* have to talk directly to Jayson for the whole/real scoop. Rick (the newer foreman) has treated me very well too, and I while I was told that these sleeved motors are very reliable, I have always had reason to doubt it. I did not go blindly.
If MTI would only admit to their loyal customers that the process is not perfect yet, we would probably still go for it... albeit knowing the risks. I suspect that they have always felt that the perfect process is the one they are just now using... I was once an engineer of consumer items as well. Its easy to believe you're just turning the corner.

As a consumer however, I am far more afraid of what I don't know than what I do.

MTI continues to fix problems of mine that werent necessarily their making, and in every other aspect, especially cost, they have exceeded my expectations. I understand that Steve at Race Engineering is the inventor and offers the blocks, etc. However, I am a loyal customer of MTI's. But I should be honest with my friends and admit that the sleeve process has not been easy or straight forward. Go... but go knowing.

Last edited by Visceral; 02-24-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:57 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Visceral
Alot of justification for a C5R block can come from incidentals. Lets assume that MTI will honor their warrantee on whatever shortblock you buy from them. *IF* you dont live in TX, the cost of either paying to R&R the engine or ship the car back/forth to MTI can become significant. I had a dry sleeve motor which was replaced on warrantee with a wet sleeve motor for the cost of the sleeves. If you add the price of the original dry sleeve block, plus the core, plus the wet sleeves, plus the tranportation of the car back/forth to TX... I should have gone for a C5R block instead. Would I go to MTI again? Sure. I would have bought a C5R block in the first place though. I only have 700 miles on the current engine, but its using oil in huge amounts (I think one of the heads is cracked...not an MTI issue). I cannot exactly sleep soundly at night as if I had a C5R block. Was I told that the Wet-sleeve process was a perfect science? Sadly I was. But then again I was told the dry sleeve process had been worked out too. I'm going to learn one of these days. Either way, I don't have many miles on the car :-/ and I'd really LIKE to move to a 4" stroke. Wisely, I went all-bore thinking that the block/sleeving process could be trouble, and I wanted to get it sorted out before moving to the bigger stroke. I also don't need to spend the big $$$ on Lunati billet stuff, and last time I checked, it was all MTI installed.

One of the issues at play here is that MTI has been very good to most of us, even if there have been sleeve problems. MTI rescued me from ARE back when Jeff was the shop foreman, and I was ready to kiss their feet. I have had nothing but fantastic dealings with them on every aspect of the engine, though I almost *always* have to talk directly to Jayson for the whole/real scoop. Rick (the newer foreman) has treated me very well too, and I while I was told that these sleeved motors are very reliable, I have always had reason to doubt it. I did not go blindly.
If MTI would only admit to their loyal customers that the process is not perfect yet, we would probably still go for it... albeit knowing the risks. I suspect that they have always felt that the perfect process is the one they are just now using... I was once an engineer of consumer items as well. Its easy to believe you're just turning the corner.

As a consumer however, I am far more afraid of what I don't know than what I do.

MTI continues to fix problems of mine that werent necessarily their making, and in every other aspect, especially cost, they have exceeded my expectations. I understand that Steve at Race Engineering is the inventor and offers the blocks, etc. However, I am a loyal customer of MTI's. But I should be honest with my friends and admit that the sleeve process has not been easy or straight forward. Go... but go knowing.
Well if you have been taken care of so far, thats great. I hope you don't have the same problems I've had. I was VERY surprised when I was not taken care of. I honestly couldn't believe that they acted like it was my problem. Also being a business owner myself, I questioned the business decision on not wanting to solve the problem for me. I can't understand that at all. It almost seems like they are giving up on a hopeless cause. Anyways, good luck to you.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Thats why I started this thread. At this point I want nothing from MTI, free or not.

I have to assume from what your have written, their (MTI) customer service was not getting anything done? I had a bad experience with them also. I gave up, after they got my money they would not give me the time of day. I tried to warn a few others and the MTI cheer-leaders beat me down with the "it was all your fault crap"....

Oh well.... Thanks for not playing the silent save my ego game and letting the rest of us know.....

...good luck...

Old 02-24-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a darton block is NOT stronger than a c5r...as stated by the Colonel on a previous thread.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Badass pool player

LASTLS1,

Please check your e-mail and get back to me if you would. Am trying to clarify a few things in the hope that I can help.

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX
Old 02-24-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SideStepThanks for not playing the [U
silent save my ego game[/U] and letting the rest of us know.....
Yeah.... If you think I would or wouldnt post something to "save my ego", you are smoking some low grade hash. I have written many times about being bent over by ARE. People know what I've done for this community and I'm very "secure" in myself.

The reason people are slow to announce some kind of failure on this board (or others) is the countless train of bull$hit bandwaggoneers who love to come in and bash any vendor they don't use. If you want to talk about ego, those are the folks who are puffing their chests because they were "smart enough" not to use said vendor. Pretty soon you have 75 posts of people saying how crap a vendor is, of whom one has an issue, three have bought intake lids, and 71 don't know WTF they are posting about.

Appreciate that those of us who have been around here far longer than most (all the way back to F-body IRC chat rooms in the 90's) know well how out-of-hand a "problem" post can get if not properly bracketed, prefaced, and footnoted. Given then that such a post can be tantamount to starting a war, most of us have learned that we can get our problems dealt with far more quickly, effectively, and cheaply with diplomacy.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't understand that at all. It almost seems like they are giving up on a hopeless cause. Anyways, good luck to you.
Based on my experience, I suspect that there might be some miscommunicaiton somewhere... not necessarily through any fault of your own. Talking with David further (sounds like he is interested), will hopefully get thing straight again. I would be surprised if it doesnt help. If it doesn't, we will be interested... and you can call me wrong
Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
a darton block is NOT stronger than a c5r...as stated by the Colonel on a previous thread.
What does Colonel know... he hasnt been drag racing a car in years!

Old 02-24-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Has anyone else had any problems with their sleeved block? The first one dropped a sleeve (dry sleeve). Second one cracked the sleeve at the top of the cylinder. (dry sleeve). MTI gave me a new Darton wet sleeve block. This one has coolant leaking ALSO! Difference in the sleeve and the block is .003. Just enough to leak coolant when hot. Seems as the deck was not serfaced properly. I'm getting pretty tired of pulling the motor. Not to mention the car being down for most of last summer! Am I the only one having problems? Less than 1000 miles on the engine NO NITROUS! I'm so scared to put nitrous to this paper shortblock. I'm thinking a 402 iron block would have been a better choice. MTI gave sugestions on how (I) should repair the block or they said I should upgrade to a C5R? I didn't know you needed a C5R shortblock just to hold coolant. Anyways, has anyone else had any problems?

sounds like the block was fucked up (Wets don't usually leak).......I have almost 5K on mine and there are tons of people with 15K+ without any problems.....

in short....yes.....your the first person I know of with this problem....
Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Has anyone else had any problems with their sleeved block? The first one dropped a sleeve (dry sleeve). Second one cracked the sleeve at the top of the cylinder. (dry sleeve). MTI gave me a new Darton wet sleeve block. This one has coolant leaking ALSO! Difference in the sleeve and the block is .003. Just enough to leak coolant when hot. Seems as the deck was not serfaced properly. I'm getting pretty tired of pulling the motor. Not to mention the car being down for most of last summer! Am I the only one having problems? Less than 1000 miles on the engine NO NITROUS! I'm so scared to put nitrous to this paper shortblock. I'm thinking a 402 iron block would have been a better choice. MTI gave sugestions on how (I) should repair the block or they said I should upgrade to a C5R? I didn't know you needed a C5R shortblock just to hold coolant. Anyways, has anyone else had any problems?
are you kidding me?? have you done a search? or maybe all the threads have been deleted... 6 of 7 local MTI sleeved block I personally know of were defective. enough said.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, they were. Even so how would that explain the sleeve being .003 higher that the block? And only on one sleeve.

didn't catch that part.......thats something shifted in the block (not the sleeve's fault).......
Old 02-24-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383ss
are you kidding me?? have you done a search? or maybe all the threads have been deleted... 6 of 7 local MTI sleeved block I personally know of were defective. enough said.
Sorry... but you know of 6 or 7 local Kansas City MTI wet-sleeve motors that have leaked?

I find that hard to believe... given how many they have made.

Most of us know about the dry sleeve issues... but even Steve at Race Eng. only knows of a few Dartons that havent worked out... MTI or not.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
I prefer to listen to the guy who designed the sleeve and installs them for a living FWIW, I know why the MTI Darton blocks have issues. I'm not going to post it, but let's just say it is not because of a design flaw in the sleeve.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I prefer to listen to the guy who designed the sleeve and installs them for a living
I would agree with that statement.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I prefer to listen to the guy who designed the sleeve and installs them for a living

second that.....
Old 02-24-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is all like arguing if Superman is stronger than Spiderman. I don't know anyone here that is capable of max'ing out either block design, properly installed.

I'd be happy to let this thread turn into that discussion, since I bet LASTLS1 and David Coates will work something out.

But in Ferris's words;
"The Europeans could be Fascist Anarchists... it still doesnt change the fact that I don't own a car."
Old 02-24-2005, 09:03 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by poolfanatic
LASTLS1,

Please check your e-mail and get back to me if you would. Am trying to clarify a few things in the hope that I can help.

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX
I can't get back to you. I have no email. You wouldn't have my email address. I don't hide behind a screen name. LASTLS1@comcast.net Andy Essary 630-531-5666.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:55 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line u got screwed even if it was by accident..
The C5R is the ONLY WAY TO GO--------->PERIOD!!!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak! MTI 427