Sponsored by:

Coolant leak! MTI 427

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Exactly.

I wish more people could realize that everyone has opinions and everyone is entitled to believe what they want. Just b/c one's opinion doesn't agree with whomever's doesn't make that person wrong as it is just an opinion, whether it's based on facts or not.

This thread would have been a lot more interesting if the Darton and C5R blocks were close to the same price. Steve is "The Man" but I bet most would be running the C5R.

People, if you choose to go the Darton route, why not have the guy who invented the sleeves install them!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:40 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I'm hoping Steve is as good as everyone says he his. It's giving me some light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope the block isn't junk. After putting a straight edge on it again today the block is weird. It's only low in one area. Checking the block by it self is fine. It's only where it comes off of the sleeve that it has a gap. Oh well, I hope to have good news soon. I can't wait to hear it run again! I will keep everyone posted of the out come. Andy.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

dayum....good luck with yer engine
Old 02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

We've used 2 or 3 of Steve's MID blocks at SAM and haven't had a single problem yet. And believe me when I tell you these things get abused all the time. These Darton MID sleeves are definately the way to go if you're looking for big CID without the hassle of trying to find and then buy a C5-R block.

The strength of these MID sleeves is un-matched by any other aluminum LSX block.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I'm hoping Steve is as good as everyone says he his.

don't worry....he is.........knows all kinds of things......
Old 02-27-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Exactly.

I wish more people could realize that everyone has opinions and everyone is entitled to believe what they want. Just b/c one's opinion doesn't agree with whomever's doesn't make that person wrong as it is just an opinion, whether it's based on facts or not.
The problem with these opinions is some people mindlessly promote them as being factual even though they are still only opinions without any real evidence to support them.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:08 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My evidence and support is GM..
Nuff said...

Now go get Steve to fix that block so u can get back to racing your car
Old 02-28-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JS
My evidence and support is GM..
Nuff said...

Now go get Steve to fix that block so u can get back to racing your car
GM is also the company that put a 7.5" REAR in a 300+ horse car...just because GM does it...don't mean its the best
Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lostpatrolman
The problem with these opinions is some people mindlessly promote them as being factual even though they are still only opinions without any real evidence to support them.
That's why it is important to be able to understand what is a good opinion based on factual data and when it is not

Like I said, EVERYONE can and does have an opinion. It's up to the reader/listener to decide for themselves if they agree/disagree with it however it's of my opinion, that regardless of other's opinions it is important to always respect their opinion, regardless.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:21 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
We've used 2 or 3 of Steve's MID blocks at SAM and haven't had a single problem yet. And believe me when I tell you these things get abused all the time. These Darton MID sleeves are definately the way to go if you're looking for big CID without the hassle of trying to find and then buy a C5-R block.

The strength of these MID sleeves is un-matched by any other aluminum LSX block.
That is good news!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fireball
GM is also the company that put a 7.5" REAR in a 300+ horse car...just because GM does it...don't mean its the best

Old 02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Good to talk to you today Andy. Let me know if I can help you.

Mikey
Old 02-28-2005, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Don't forget ARE's dry-sleeve setup is second to none. We have done Hundreds and a handfull had problems. These are also hardcore setups, you know 9's and 8's...
Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by SLED28
Don't forget ARE's dry-sleeve setup is second to none. We have done Hundreds and a handfull had problems. These are also hardcore setups, you know 9's and 8's...
I didn't think they were still in business? I have called tem a couple of times in the past and never get a returned phone call.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I didn't think they were still in business? I have called tem a couple of times in the past and never get a returned phone call.
The shop has moved and has a new number. Email me for the info. ARE will be a sponsor on here as soon as we can...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Screw the C5R vs everything in this thread, lets get down to the subject at hand.

I'm very sorry to hear about your block, however things work out I wish you the best with your car.

Now as MTI's FIRST Darton block owner here, I have had ZERO problems. I have around 5-6k miles (hard miles) on it. I take it out on the weekends and beat the **** out of it and its been good to me.

The big problem I see here with this situation is that you didn't buy it from MTI, but from Speed Inc. and here is what the warranty reads:

--------------------------------------------------------
2 year, 24K mile limited warranty available if installation is performed at MTI, excluding the use of poweradders (nitrous, superchargers, turbos).

They didn't sell it to you nor install it for you, and how are they to know that you didn't run any kind of power add'er?

To ALL the band-wagon guys in these thread, how many here have had an MTI Darton sleeve fail on them? Thats what this subject is about.
You hear about this one problem but you guys are not hearing the 100+ MTI Darton blocks out there doing fine. There will always be a defect in manufactured parts, nobody and nothing is perfect.
Also what if "Joe-Blow" buys an MTI Darton block, now he lives somewhere else other than Houston and slaps a Turbo and a little shot of gas to bracket race his race car twice a week. Then he cries that the block failed and its all MTI's **** poor Darton block that failed him. Under the same breath he tells MTI "na...I never ran a power add'er on her...when can I get my next block?"

How is MTI to know the truth behind this? They sold it to Speed Inc, which sold it to someone else, and then they or another shop installed it. Do you get what I'm saying?

I always look from every angle on things and I know that I'd hate to be in your position right now. At the same time I am a loyal MTI customer and always will be. Jayson, David and the crew have always done me right. If/when I ever had a problem they have always gone out of their way to make things right. Anytime I had a question Jayson always took time out to discuss it with me. Without MTI I would be just another lid/cut-out simple LS1 car owner and not be as enthused with modding it any further. I feel comfortable and I can "sleep at night" (lol) knowing MTI will take care of anything.

Like I said LASTLS1, I wish you the best on however this may turn out, I hope things work out and work out fast so you can drive your car again and enjoy it!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:34 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brien I agree GM doesnt do everything right but come on dude,they run a C5R race case in a car that kicks the shiat out of everything out there,wins countless races and doesnt have coolant leaks.

I'd love to hear what KATECH SEZ about the C5R...
I bet it might be different but I could be wrong,just voicing my opinon...

I hope the guy get his block fixed cause thats the important thing...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Good luck whatever happens Andy.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Screw the C5R vs everything in this thread, lets get down to the subject at hand.

I'm very sorry to hear about your block, however things work out I wish you the best with your car.

Now as MTI's FIRST Darton block owner here, I have had ZERO problems. I have around 5-6k miles (hard miles) on it. I take it out on the weekends and beat the **** out of it and its been good to me.

The big problem I see here with this situation is that you didn't buy it from MTI, but from Speed Inc. and here is what the warranty reads:

2 year, 24K mile limited warranty available if installation is performed at MTI, excluding the use of poweradders (nitrous, superchargers, turbos).

They didn't sell it to you nor install it for you, and how are they to know that you didn't run any kind of power add'er?

To ALL the band-wagon guys in these thread, how many here have had an MTI Darton sleeve fail on them? Thats what this subject is about.
You hear about this one problem but you guys are not hearing the 100+ MTI Darton blocks out there doing fine. There will always be a defect in manufactured parts, nobody and nothing is perfect.
Also what if "Joe-Blow" buys an MTI Darton block, now he lives somewhere else other than Houston and slaps a Turbo and a little shot of gas to bracket race his race car twice a week. Then he cries that the block failed and its all MTI's **** poor Darton block that failed him. Under the same breath he tells MTI "na...I never ran a power add'er on her...when can I get my next block?"

How is MTI to know the truth behind this? They sold it to Speed Inc, which sold it to someone else, and then they or another shop installed it. Do you get what I'm saying?

I always look from every angle on things and I know that I'd hate to be in your position right now. At the same time I am a loyal MTI customer and always will be. Jayson, David and the crew have always done me right. If/when I ever had a problem they have always gone out of their way to make things right. Anytime I had a question Jayson always took time out to discuss it with me. Without MTI I would be just another lid/cut-out simple LS1 car owner and not be as enthused with modding it any further. I feel comfortable and I can "sleep at night" (lol) knowing MTI will take care of anything.

Like I said LASTLS1, I wish you the best on however this may turn out, I hope things work out and work out fast so you can drive your car again and enjoy it!

Peace,
Craig.

I know you're all loyal to MTI and all that, but you need to reread everything and see where the crux of the problem is. It is not poweradders, installation, ect. It is the machine work. That MTI was responsible for. And they supposedly tell him to waste 6K on a C5R block as a solution. And I can tell you from personal experience that some shops tends to treat you better when they know you live in their town and can stop by for a chat when you have an issue with them.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:40 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I know you're all loyal to MTI and all that, but you need to reread everything and see where the crux of the problem is. It is not poweradders, installation, ect. It is the machine work. That MTI was responsible for. And they supposedly tell him to waste 6K on a C5R block as a solution. And I can tell you from personal experience that some shops tends to treat you better when they know you live in their town and can stop by for a chat when you have an issue with them.
How do you know it was not power add'er problem? Thats my whole point, MTI doesn't know what that block has been through. Here's another big question. He said it was fine until about 1000 miles. Why didn't it leak from day one?
And where in this thread did MTI tell him to dump 6k for a C5R block? I read through this whole thread, maybe I missed it?

I think you might be right about a shop around will help work with your better, but I've seen sponsors here on LS1TECH.com that have good customer relations from people accross the states.
I'm not just a loyal customer with MTI, but after going there for awhile, Jayson, David and the crew are good friends. I'll try to help them out anyway I can. Why? Because the have bent over backwards whenever I needed something, and I like to return the favor and do what I can for them.

But back to the topic it's just a tough call, he has a bad block, MTI never sold it to him and didn't install it for him. I hope something comes together for him. So I really don't know what kind of warranty they can offer, if they can at all.

LASTLS1- So whats the latest news, if any?

Peace,
Craig.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak! MTI 427