Coolant leak! MTI 427

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:34 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
It is the machine work.
I have to add to this again.

Like I said in my earlier post. All manufactured parts, and machined parts will have a failed part here and there, plus machine work errors are all possible. Nobody and nothing is perfect. It very could be that the Darton sleeve was machined down to much from Darton themselves. Maybe MTI did it, I dunno. And it going bad around 1k miles is strange, unless I missed something in this thread. From what I gather in the first post was he had some miles on it before it started. But you'd think it would happen from day one or alot earlier for poor machined parts.

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
That MTI was responsible for.
Thats the grey area right there. Read MTI's site for their stroker warranty. If I was going to buy a stroker I would research it, and the vendor for every aspect and stipulation on can do's and no-can do's.
Why get it from another shop, and why not have them install it if that means thats the only way to get a warranty. I mean come on, if you are going to dump thousands of dollars into a motor look into it, and if thats the only way they warranty it either deal with it or buy a motor from another shop.
Why take a gamble or risk of this magnitude? Just my $.02

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:03 AM
FormerVendor

Crager, are you saying the MID blocks CAN'T take a power adder of nitrous or turbos??? So they are good for 500hp NA only?

I beleive MTI knows their **** and was machined right etc... Maybe call and talk to Jayson again and explain the situation..

I just think the problem with MID blocks is there is SO much crucial MEAT taken out of the block, that there is a great chance something WILL move or shift eventually. It has to! The whole deck and internals are removed, kinda a 'can-opener' effect. All thats left holding the deck together is the head studs.

The ARE Big Bore blocks leave all the crucial meat behind the original sleeves which is also main strength of the block, PLUS we don't hit water, so there is no way it
will leak. Our sleeves have special steps and install instructions so they CANNOT Drop.We have the biggest 'sleeve lip' in the industry. ALso a few other sleeve specifics I can't comment on.
We don't care if you use nitrous, turbo, blower... We HAVE tested our Big Bore 4.100 blocks to nearly 170mph.

One last comment, when others jump in here, please talk about LS1 or LS6 Blocks ONLY. I don't care about Honda, Viper or Ecotec motors.. They have absolutely NOTHING to do with this conversation. So why compare a totally different block casting??

Dave

Last edited by SLED28; 03-01-2005 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:24 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by SLED28
Crager, are you saying the MID blocks CAN'T take a power adder of nitrous or turbos??? So they are good for 500hp NA only?
No sir, thats not what I am saying. Just stating that "if" you decide to go that route with any kind of power add'er you void the warranty that MTI offers. With the little Z1 cam (236/236) in mine I made 535rwhp, so it can handle more easily.

I've seen a Procharger blower (I think) on a Darton block and it made around 800rwhp. There is too much that could go wrong with any kind of power add'er and it could grenade the block. So they don't allow power add'ers for warranties.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:17 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

First off. Speed inc Dynoed the car the night before the street drags. NO POWER ADDER! That night it happened I was racing at the track for money. Motor only. There has been NO POWER ADDER on any MTI block I've had. Prove me wrong by ANYONE OR ANYWAY and I'll pay you 10K!!!!! I believe Tom from speed will vouch on the power adder issue. It's a cop out! That car made 5 track passes N/A! Three one day and two the night it started leaking again. I want to spray. That was my intention from the begining. But I want to make some track passes N/A without LEAKING COOLANT! Also I already made a statement! ANYONE show me how (I) caused the problem and I'll buy a new C5R block from them. As far as the miles, I don't know. Maybe because the car had true dual dumps with bullets. It would rattle the windows out of your house! So driving hard on the street wasn't going to happen. ( I bought new mufflers)! Bottom line three motors in a row to the same person! N/A. You kind of see the pattern??? If I would have sprayed the car this wouldn't be a lssue. Those motors have never seen nitrous! I don't trust them. I would rather have a rock fight in my glass house! It would be safer than pushing one of those blocks. Thats why I bought a new 408 iron block from LME yesterday! It's a shame you don't know me. My word and reputation would far exceed your wildest expectation. I'm still going to get the Darton repaired. It will be my back up motor until I decide what to do with it. I don't want to sell it and someone have a problem. I guess after I run my iron block for a while, I'll put it in my car and run it for a while to see if it's ok. Otherwise I won't sell it. If it happens to run strong and DOSEN'T LEAK! I might to spray it, if it lives I might keep it. Thats what I wanted in the first place.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

LASTLS1, private mail me man. I can help you out using most of your old parts...
Old 03-01-2005, 12:24 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

LASTLS1, private mail me man. I can help you out using most of your old parts...
You have a pm. Or you can call. (9-6) 630-782-6000 or 6:00 on 630-531-5666. Andy.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I couldnt justify 6500 for a C5R block when I can get a 4 inch LS2 for a FRACTION of the price.

For a street motor a C5R is a total waste of money even at 800RWHP.

Last edited by CHRISPY; 03-01-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
I couldnt justify 6500 for a C5R block when I can get a 4 inch LS2 for a FRACTION of the price.

For a street motor a C5R is a total waste of money even at 800RWHP.

I don't intend on buying a C5R. I also think it's overpriced. I was just making a point. Bad machine work was not cause by me. Cylinder and piston look new!!! Thats why I just ordered a 408 iron block!!

Last edited by LASTLS1; 03-01-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know ARE has turned a new leaf, things are different now, etc, etc...

But for LASTLS1 to feel ripped by MTI so he goes to ARE would be... ironic at best.

Dave, you need to start "Dave's LS1 Shortblocks" and do this without the baggage.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW... Andy... If you are interested in selling the rotating assembly from the 427, or even parts such as the pistons (no use for them in a 408), let me know. I need to convert form 388 to 427 soon (since my bottom end seems quite sound).

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-01-2005, 02:10 PM
SSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Visceral
I know ARE has turned a new leaf, things are different now, etc, etc...

But for LASTLS1 to feel ripped by MTI so he goes to ARE would be... ironic at best.

HILARIOUS.

I don't see the big deal I guess, none of this falls under MTI's written warranty, so they are off the hook. It sucks, but you gotta read the fine print...that's life. An LME 408 will be awesome, good luck to you!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Visceral
BTW... Andy... If you are interested in selling the rotating assembly from the 427, or even parts such as the pistons (no use for them in a 408), let me know. I need to convert form 388 to 427 soon (since my bottom end seems quite sound).

Thanks,
Chris
If Steve says the block is junk I might do that. I have two sets of pistons. I just got one set last week, Diamond high compression, small dome, thick ring land for nitrous. I will let you know.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Badass pool player

Even though I've approached Andy about this off line - I'm going to state MTI's position on this so everyone can be aware:

I've asked Andy to contact me after Steve at RED has a chance to look over the block and then I'll work directly with Andy to try and satisfy him and turn this situation into something that he's OK with.

No one person or business is perfect, mistakes do happen. We like everyone else try to keep them to a minimum because they cost money - both in customer goodwill and actual monies out of pocket, not to mention time and aggravation for everyone involved.

Sincerely,

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by poolfanatic
Even though I've approached Andy about this off line - I'm going to state MTI's position on this so everyone can be aware:

I've asked Andy to contact me after Steve at RED has a chance to look over the block and then I'll work directly with Andy to try and satisfy him and turn this situation into something that he's OK with.

No one person or business is perfect, mistakes do happen. We like everyone else try to keep them to a minimum because they cost money - both in customer goodwill and actual monies out of pocket, not to mention time and aggravation for everyone involved.

Sincerely,

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX
Thanks. Since you pm'ed me I didn't know you wanted your statement made public. I was going to wait until the final out come to post. At this point nothing is set in stone or resolved. Andy.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:39 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Well, the engine was shipped out today. Steve at Race Engine and the owner have really been willing to hlep out. He should get the block by Wednesday to look at it. I will post what he finds then.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:08 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by RyanJ
HILARIOUS.

I don't see the big deal I guess, none of this falls under MTI's written warranty, so they are off the hook. It sucks, but you gotta read the fine print...that's life. An LME 408 will be awesome, good luck to you!
If this doesn't fall under MTI's warranty. They have NO WARRANTY! You must not have read the facts. Anyone can refuse to honor a warranty, but that has nothing to do with the fine print. It's pretty cut and dry. Lets just see how it pans out. Andy.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Good luck Andy.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Good luck Andy.
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

So whos taking care of the warranty since you bought it through speed inc. I want to build one of these monsters and need to know who is going to stand behind there stuff.I won't buy from the middle man if they don't stand behind there supplyer.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very bad thread for MTI's rep.

Good for Steve.
Things seem a bit different since Pecos left MTI.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak! MTI 427