Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil Life Study

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Synthetic Oil Life Study

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

Looks to be an interesting test, and since it's being done on a 2002 Z28 it should be of interest to many of us.

I plan on doing a similar test myself, I'm going to push the limits of the oils I am running in my wife's and my car, and through periodic oil sampling I will determine when the oil has reached the end of it's useful life. I'm running Schaeffer Supreme 10w30 blend in my LT1, and Royal Purple 5w30 in my wife's 2000 Civic. I should easily go beyond 10,000 miles in both cases, I'm shooting for 20k in my LT1!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:12 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Synthetic Oil Life Study

Should be informative.
After a lifetime of oil changing habits at the 3K - 4K intervals, I find it hard to go more than 4.5K miles w/o changing the oil, though, even with synthetics.

On another note, did you see the post about PF58 vs PF59 oil filters? I'm wondering if there really is an advantage to using the PF59, a filter that seems to be hard for me to find around here. I'm -assuming- the filter would be full at engine shut down, and any oil remaining in the galleys would stay there w/o need for an anti-drainback valve?
Old 12-04-2002, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to an antidrainback valve, so if you use the AC Delcos, go with the PF59. If you're using a Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter anyways, they have the antidrainback valve so it's safe.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:34 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Patman,
Mobil 1 & K&N filters are hard to come by in this little town I live in. In fact, it's getting hard to find AC filters at all, being as how the local parts chains mostly carry Purolater, Fram, and No-Name store brands now. Even the local Chevy dealer does not carry PF59s, although they will order them upon request. (seems strange since they sell more trucks than cars?)
Thanks, as always, for your input.
Gerald
Old 12-04-2002, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

What filters do you have to choose from then Gerald? Another great filter is the Bosch Premium. It's made by the same guys that make the K&N and Mobil 1, and it's half the cost. It's filtering efficiency is:

98% @ 15 micron first pass

93% @ 15 micron multi-pass
Old 12-06-2002, 06:40 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Well I've managed to scrounge up a PF58 every time so far, but I just found out a local parts place is selling some K&Ns. I'll check them out and see if they stock one for the LS1. Haven't seen any Bosch, that I recall.
Have you got a part number for the K&N and Mobil 1 filters?
Thanks.
Edit: I got 'em from another post.
(long filters)
K&N: HP2006
Mobil: M1-206
Bosch: 3423

<small>[ December 06, 2002, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: gwj ]</small>