Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd valvetrain noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think alittle more preload will really quiet it down,The only question I have is has much if any power does it rob?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Well!

I have a very good feeling I was able to sort out my problems. I went through the preload procedure for my Crane/Vinci rockers again, and the train is SILENT. Silent, as in, I didn't realize it was even making noise in the past when it actually was. I can't hear much of anything through the firewall now. It's dead quiet in the operating areas where I used to be able to pick up on the noise I mentioned in the first thread - now I can't hear a THING. It's definitely one of those circumstances where you don't realize what you're have until it's gone. I definitely know what Crane mean by these rockers were engineered to be extremely quiet.

I've been tearing around all evening, and I didn't hear a hint of the noise I first mentioned. I'll give it a few days to make sure nothing comes back... and I'll definitely tell you if it does... but for now, I'm going to have to chaulk this up to a poor preload procedure that I did.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Marc do you have any idea of how much preload you have? In thousands?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Crap, I still got a hint of the noise showing up.

Overall things are much quieter than before... but after plenty of spanking today, it started to show up again. It seems to be really localised to ~2,000rpm when you back off the throttle. Everywhere else, everything is very quiet (still quieter than before, which I'm very pleased about). I want to double check intake manifold bolts next. I'm not sure what the torque spec is.

Matt: I'm not sure on that right now, but I can get the info. Another member speced out what the two-turns of preload equals to.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

LS1howto.com shows the pattern and the torque specs. Did you have the intake off Marc?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Sweet, thanks.

No... I never had it off.

I was probing around with a stethescope last night. Those injectors sure are loud. I can't help but wonder if they're the source of the noise? Larger cams need/use more fuel at idle... the injectors work harder... so they're prone to be noisier?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Well I got some Yella Terra's on finally and although I believe it to be a little quieter, It wasn't what I was hoping for. I'm also wondering if what I'm hearing isn't the injectors. They are the only real noise that I can hear with my stethoscope as well. I wonder if some FRC's might not reduce the noice a little more. Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

You want .060 preload on the lifters. Tq specs on a stock intake is 44in lb. on the FAST it is 50 in lb.
-matt