Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just thought I'd let everyone know....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I do that too...just rinse, relube and hang up to dry. Ive got about 500 #$&$s on mine so far so good.
man watch out....thats how i ended up with twins
Old 03-13-2005, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bo White
While you all are at it, reuse your condoms too- just wring em out and hang em to dry
That's not how I heard it

It was, "Wring em out and wash the ***** out of em!"
Old 03-13-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOA

You guys just don't turn your condoms inside out and reuse them? Think of the money and effort I save by just turning them inside out....
Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
WHOA

You guys just don't turn your condoms inside out and reuse them? Think of the money and effort I save by just turning them inside out....
LMAO
Old 03-13-2005, 02:29 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

whoa guys... wait a minute here. I usually dont post a whole lot but there has been a trend that i have been seeing over the past few months that i have to bring to attention. This guy did give some bad advice, and we should most definately correct him in his ways. we should also give some facts to back this up as was given by Lowetz. That was good. But all the slander and jokes being made about his post is just childish. This site used to pride itself by being different from ls1.com and some other sites by focusing onthe "tech" side of things. More and more often I have been seeing immature comments that only embarass people and push them away from the site. NOT something that sponsors like to see. And I can't believe the moderators of this site allow it. Its just bad business.
Now I agree that we owe it to the author of the post and all who read this, that there were errors stated, but making comments about condoms / oil filters and things of the such is just wrong. With that being said... lets try to grow up a little. And if that is too much to ask, maybe you yourself should go back to LS1.com
Old 03-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Launching!

whoa guys... wait a minute here. I usually dont post a whole lot but there has been a trend that i have been seeing over the past few months that i have to bring to attention. This guy did give some bad advice, and we should most definately correct him in his ways. we should also give some facts to back this up as was given by Lowetz. That was good. But all the slander and jokes being made about his post is just childish. This site used to pride itself by being different from ls1.com and some other sites by focusing onthe "tech" side of things. More and more often I have been seeing immature comments that only embarass people and push them away from the site. NOT something that sponsors like to see. And I can't believe the moderators of this site allow it. Its just bad business.
Now I agree that we owe it to the author of the post and all who read this, that there were errors stated, but making comments about condoms / oil filters and things of the such is just wrong. With that being said... lets try to grow up a little. And if that is too much to ask, maybe you yourself should go back to LS1.com
Old 03-13-2005, 02:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WOT
Your right bout all of that actually, it has been happening lately ALOT, I guess alot of us have it as all fun and games. It seems to me that once the ? is answered though or the main argument is posted, said, and understood...The threads become free for alls thus causing moderators to lock the threads up

Adam
Old 03-13-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WOT
More and more often I have been seeing immature comments that only embarass people and push them away from the site. NOT something that sponsors like to see. And I can't believe the moderators of this site allow it. Its just bad business.
Exactly right.
I would put money up that none of the people badmouthing the guy have any real-world test data of their own to back up their belief that reusing stock bolts will cause a gasket failure. This means their own knowledge is second hand and partly heresay, much of which comes from the establishments that have money to gain by selling more head-bolts.
Whoever thinks that repeating these so-called facts has anything to do with science is sadly mistaken.

Now if we had 100 members reuse stock bolts, and another 100 members use new bolts, and then the used group had a significantly higher failure rate,
then that would indeed be fact and proof that there is something to the theory.
Funny thing is that I'd also bet money that there wouldn't be a significant difference in the failure rate. Those results would make some professed know-it-alls look pretty silly, but that's how it goes with true science sometimes. It doesn't always work out in the real world like you think it will.

I definately give the guy credit for trying it and actually putting the idea to the test. Experimentation and science should be encouraged. After all, it's not going to cost any of you guys if his experiment fails, so you shouldn't be crying about it.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

44 posts and attacking 99% of us by saying we do not have the "cahoonas" to reuse or stock head bolts.
And others saying we are negative.

I like the reuse condom statement, that is about how stupid it is to reuse stretch/yield bolts.

All this for $35

In brief to be positive post could have been:

"I reused my bolts as an experiment and so far 500 miles with no problems."

But to call us light in the undies because we have the sense not to do stupid things, that tops it.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:47 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

I agree with you Predator-z in the fact that bolts should not be re-used and that the post could have been worded differently. But me personally... it bums me out when i see people making fun of others on a board. it's just bad juju. One person does it, and then another, and another. Next thing you know it is spreading throughout the site. We are all hear to learn, research, chat and what not, but pushing away potential customers for the sponsors by getting a quick chuckle is going too far. Not to mention it is embarassing for the individual. It is not how I was raised.
To the few that agree with me, please contnue to discourage the flaming. This is the only true tech site that has a lot to offer both on the posting side of things and the sponsor support.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

I think that the fact that oem head bolts are STRETCHED and ARP are not is lost somewhere in here. Once STRETCHED they are DONE!
Old 03-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Teching In

i also believe that not reusing tty bolts is right...but it is over rated
sure on a crate motor you should use new ones, but on a suicide n2o engine or one you plan on replacing soon its another story
Old 03-13-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Torque to yield stretches the fastener past the point of where it will not return to its original length. This weakens the bolt and makes it unusable for repeated tightening.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:43 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by auto_gto
i also believe that not reusing tty bolts is right...but it is over rated
sure on a crate motor you should use new ones, but on a suicide n2o engine or one you plan on replacing soon its another story
its 35 god dam $
Old 03-13-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well let me make a very good point here and let lvmyz28 how foolish it would be to re-use a stock head bolt.

I recently did a cam swap and pulled the heads to install new lifters. In the process of putting the heads back on we snapped one of the Brand new bolts at less then 50lft lbs of perssure. Keep in mind that this bolt is brand new. This was on the second round of tightning and snaped it inside the block.

Now how in the hell would you think that using a stock bolt AGAIN would be smart.

By the way does anyone know how I can get the snapped bolt out of the block.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

I understand about makin the fella feel bad about his post but he insinuated that we were scared about doin it, we're not scared of doin it- we just know better. $35 is cheap insurance and alot of us on here like a laugh or two while stateing the facts. I appoligize if I hurt the dudes feelings but do not make a post about something contreversial and making a statement like that, your just askin for it- and we just happened to give it to him. Peace and love to all
Old 03-13-2005, 06:44 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

bad idea bro
Old 03-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Need More N2O Mod

i reused my stock bolts and i am going on 10k miles and not a problem. i didn't have time to wait on a set to be sent to me. i had to drive 2 and half hours to find head gaskets was bad enough
Old 03-13-2005, 07:47 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I re-used a driver's side head gasket that only had less than a 1000 miles on it. Reason was, when I pulled the head, the head came off the gasket cleanly and it didn't leave behind any residure on the cylinder head.

I inspected the gasket and it didn't appear any different than a new one that I had for the passenger side. So I decided to go ahead and re-use it since I never lifted it off the block.

It was a calculated risk I took, but I did use new factory bolts, but its the last time. I am tired of using the TTY bolts, so sometime in the near future, I'll replace them with ARP studs and be done with torquing to yeild bolts.

I've stripped out three header bolts now in four years so I'm all about doing header studs as well. I'm so gun-shy now with torquing bolts down, afraid they are going to snap, talk about a horrible feeling.

One day, the motor will get pulled and put together the right way... bit by bit, peice by peice with all the right components.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would in no way reuse the stock bolts. When I had my heads off. I bought new bolts. There cheap anyway.