Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting ripped off??!!(cam swap)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REV XTREME IS LOCATED IN BRANDON FLORIDA, THEY DID MY DYNO TUNNING FOR ME ARE REAL GOOD GROUP OF GUYS. AFTER I GET MY NEW HEADS ON I WILL BE GOING BACK TO THEM FOR ANOTHER TUNE. I MIGHT EVEN HAVE THE NUMBER AND THE DIRECTIONS LYING AROUND IF YOU WANT THEM BECAUSE IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF... I AM INSTALLING ALL MY PARTS MY SELF BUT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE A PRO DO IT NOT JO SCHMO MECHANIC
Old 03-18-2005, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

I still haven't gotten my freakin' car back yet. My heads and headers are off, every damn thing is disassembled. Last monday, he told me he would be done with it tuesday evening or wed. morning. Didn't happen. I told him to get working on the fu'ng thing and get it done. He leaves me a msg on thursday saying he "forgot" his anniversary and couldn't be in the shop. Today, he told me he'll definately be done this evening and I can come by and pick it up. Nope. He can't get my timing chain on, and so I told him to just use the godamn stock one if you can't get it right. My heads and manifold are still off.
If this **** ain't done by noon tomorrow, cops are showing up. I am pissed beyond belief, I need my car. A one day job taking over 2 weeks. I'm not gonna pay this ******* a dime of my money. I'd give him a beating if it were legal.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Angry

damn... I'm at a loss of words man.. If he can't get it buttoned up in a another day or two, just tow the car w/o the stuff on!.. seriously, I'm not sure I'd trust him with putting everything back together correctly!..

I would also advise you to NOT drive the car, but tow it.. who knows how he re-assembled it all back..
Old 03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Why are your heads and headers off to do a cam swap? Somthing isn't right.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Launching!

That's pathetic. I'm doing mine for the first time, don't do this for a living, and I'm doing better than he is.

He will NOT be done by tomorrow. And frankly if he is, I'd be worried. We all told you this at the beginning of the week...get your car out of there now.

You WOULD do a better job, even if it's your first time.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black_ws6
Why are your heads and headers off to do a cam swap? Somthing isn't right.
We went over this already in a previous page. The guy obviously does not know what he's doing. He may be good at SBC work, but obviously doesn't know jack about LS1's.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

Not to brag but I did mine in one day.I started around 8 in the morning and was driving it around about 7 that night.That was cam,springs,chain, and oil pump that was changed. LS1 howto is what I followed for instructions.That guy is being a typical backyard mechanic.Tow your car home and do the install yourself,just go ls1howto.com for instructions.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give us an update? What happened!!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Give us an update? What happened!!

Ya, I'm curious, too.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you tow it. My offer still stands. No BS.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I ended up paying this dude $1300, BUT everything WAS done right(even though it took close to 3 weeks). South Florida sucks when it comes to GMs, though I can find a rice shop or rim shop every freakin' block. If I had ended up antagonizing the guy, who knows what he would've done to my engine? Don't know if he would do something like that or not, but I didn't want to take a risk, so I just let him finish it, under my scrutiny.
In the end, an EXPENSIVE-*** lesson learned. I now will only let an ls1tech sponsor touch my car, or I'm just going to do the **** myself.
Not to mention, I was the one running around town getting gaskets and bolts and such. I'm just glad that everything works and the car is running the way it should be.
****, my buddy at South Florida Performance paid over $1200, and it took him 2 weeks to get the **** done for the cam swap.

Tech- I should've taken your offer.

I'm going to Mike Norris next time I need anything major done. Once again, an expensive, brutal lesson to me. Please people, don't make my mistake.
I hope y'all learn from this.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i woulda charged him for the experience.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:54 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBGRAYTA
I ended up paying this dude $1300, BUT everything WAS done right(even though it took close to 3 weeks). South Florida sucks when it comes to GMs, though I can find a rice shop or rim shop every freakin' block. If I had ended up antagonizing the guy, who knows what he would've done to my engine? Don't know if he would do something like that or not, but I didn't want to take a risk, so I just let him finish it, under my scrutiny.
In the end, an EXPENSIVE-*** lesson learned. I now will only let an ls1tech sponsor touch my car, or I'm just going to do the **** myself.
Not to mention, I was the one running around town getting gaskets and bolts and such. I'm just glad that everything works and the car is running the way it should be.
****, my buddy at South Florida Performance paid over $1200, and it took him 2 weeks to get the **** done for the cam swap.

Tech- I should've taken your offer.

I'm going to Mike Norris next time I need anything major done. Once again, an expensive, brutal lesson to me. Please people, don't make my mistake.
I hope y'all learn from this.

Good to hear you got your car back.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Who tuned it?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Launching!

If you needed tune. It's probably best to come up to Orlando and get it dyno tuned by Mike Norris at Norris Motorsports.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

I'm getting it tuned at RevExtreme this Monday. Or, there's a guy down here(ls1tech member) that has the HP Tuners software and gonna get it dyno tuned locally.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mwalls54
thats kinda high and the shop is doing way too much and taking way too long. i took my time and installed cam and springs in a hotel parking lot in 2 evenings
ROTFLMFAO!!!

That is the craziest thing I've heard in a while. How did you manage to pull that off without security asking you to please work on your car elsewhere?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
ROTFLMFAO!!!

That is the craziest thing I've heard in a while. How did you manage to pull that off without security asking you to please work on your car elsewhere?
What about Jordan Musser pulling the heads of his LT1 car in the hotel parking lot with hand tools and pulling a marathon to have the car ready to race the next day.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Before you go pounding on the car a lot go back and ask him these specific questions:

1) Did you use new headbolts or reuse the factory ones?
2) Once you removed the heads did you scrape off the old gasket material?
3) What did you torque the heads to? (kind of a trick question asking it like this)
4) How did you install the rockers, did you torque them and if so to what?

He may have put the car back together but it doesn't mean he did it correctly, from the sounds of it he doesn't know what the f*** he's doing. Any old school mechanic could dissasemble the engine and put it back together the way they took it apart but they may not know of some of the precautions you must take with these engines as compared to the old SBC's. So ensure his answers to the questions above match these exactly, if they don't then you may want to look into redoing a few things:

1) He MUST use new head bolts, if he reused the factory ones then you may end up blowing a headgasket later on down the road because the bolts will loosen due to the fact that they were already stretched.

2) Besides scraping off the old headgasket material ensure that he cleaned out the head bolt holes in the block, when he pulled the heads coolant will dump into them and if he didn't clean it all out it could potentially crack the block.

3) If he tells you a torque number then he f***ed up assuming he used stock style head bolts. Well initially you torque the bolts to 22ft-lbs however the bolts are torque to yield and it's a totally different ball game than the old SBC's.

4) Ensure he actually torqued the rockers to 22ft-lbs and nothing higher than 25 and make sure he didn't just tighten them.

I just don't want to see anything happen to your engine because of his lack of knowledge.

-Sly

Quick Reply: Am I getting ripped off??!!(cam swap)