Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Timing chain install question

Is there a method that the old timing chain can be removed and a replacement timing chain can be fit on w/o removing the oil pump?

Most install documents show an oil pump replacement at the same time because the owner wanted a ported or LS6 pump. but I have a 2002, so there is no reason to remove the pump if it can be avoided.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um...no. How can you get a continuous circle with no breaks in the links off of it? If you call David Copperfield he might be able to help with that though
Old 03-16-2005, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimm
Um...no. How can you get a continuous circle with no breaks in the links off of it? If you call David Copperfield he might be able to help with that though
I can't tell from pictures if the oil pump completely blocks access to the crank sprocket. If that is the case, you could just say so without a smart-aleck answer!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I can't tell from pictures if the oil pump completely blocks access to the crank sprocket. If that is the case, you could just say so without a smart-aleck answer!
Sorry, I thought you knew it was like that, but wondered if there was a trick. The answer is a simple no. It's not hard to change at all. The only pain in the *** is lower the oil pan and loosening all the bolts, and getting the pickup tube bolt back in (stuff a shirt back there so the bolt doesn't fall in the pan).
Old 03-16-2005, 09:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while on this note, i noticed that there are 2 tapped holes in the oil pump i pulled off my 00' motor in my car, but the pickup tube bolts into the oil pump with only one bolt. Does anyone know why this is?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Launching!

It's different on a Corvette compared to an F-Body is what I've seen thus far about that. Put it back in the way it came out. There was a recent thread where someone saw that and wanted to try to do the other hole (much more room for one bolt hole compared to the other), but he wasn't able to. I guess it's not threaded or something. So pretty much put it back together like you saw it.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, There was never a doubt about putting it back together the same way, just wanted to know why the difference....weird, but thanks for the info!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks to Jimm for the complete answer.
That settles the question, and the reason for the thread.