Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INSANE noise from the new lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I have the same problem. I did a larger cam than you, but my car has 78K miles on it. Aftr checking everything, im about 99% sure its a lifter. The car idles crazy taps like a a ****, and the exaust kinda bubles/pops.. i think that more than likely the old stock lifters coudnt handle the increased seat preasure of the new springs causeing them to pump up. Ill tell you saterday if it is, cause im putting new comp 850's in this weekend with my new heads.

check the easy stuff first.

chris
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I'm beginning to think it's a broken lifter/bent valve... I'm gonna make absolutely sure it isn't the pushrods or rockers first though. Let me know how that comes out.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I just checked the pushrods and they are all perfectly fine. So I'm gonna put them all back two at a time and turn the engine over and see where this **** is coming from. I'm also gonna put the stock plugs back in and see if that helps anything.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Did u look at your cam retainer plate. When I took mine off it was smooth to the touch. The new one has silicone on it that protrudes from the surface so u can get a good seal for the lifters. I don't know if it is that important but I bought a new one for $15 at the dealer (stealer). I read somewhere that it was recommended that u replace it when u do a cam install.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone who says he has bent valves, he did a compression test and it came out good so it's almost definately not that.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can still bend a valve and have it seal properly...but it is way less likely to be that with good compression results
Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Leak down is different then compression leka is rate pressure is bled off, compression is the psi reading
Old 03-22-2005, 02:07 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
Ok. I have the same problem. I did a larger cam than you, but my car has 78K miles on it. Aftr checking everything, im about 99% sure its a lifter. The car idles crazy taps like a a ****, and the exaust kinda bubles/pops.. i think that more than likely the old stock lifters coudnt handle the increased seat preasure of the new springs causeing them to pump up. Ill tell you saterday if it is, cause im putting new comp 850's in this weekend with my new heads.

check the easy stuff first.

chris
i just did the same thing 2 weeks ago, good luck man! make sure you have a 1/2" drive ratchet and a 3 foot cheater, it makes the head bolts give up alot easier. the JMX guide had some good tips for blowing coolant out of the holes and making the tap/thread cleaner from the old bolt. i've seen your posts in the past about your noises, you seem to have been having them for a while.

i repaced my lifters/valvesprings/pushrods getting prepared for my cam swap this summer
Old 03-22-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like it's time to pull the heads to me. The sound described sounds like bent intake valves that made contact with the pistons. If your timing was "way" off before, the likelihood is that you had piston to valve contact and bent them. Even if you fixed the timing, you'd still have bent valves.

I wouldn't rely on a compression test, if it's a REALLY loud clackity clackity type sound, sure sounds like valve contact to me. Even if it's collapsed lifters you'd still have to pull the heads.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JF WS6
Sounds like it's time to pull the heads to me. The sound described sounds like bent intake valves that made contact with the pistons. If your timing was "way" off before, the likelihood is that you had piston to valve contact and bent them. Even if you fixed the timing, you'd still have bent valves.

I wouldn't rely on a compression test, if it's a REALLY loud clackity clackity type sound, sure sounds like valve contact to me. Even if it's collapsed lifters you'd still have to pull the heads.
Those are my thoughts exactly.
It sounds like they just did a compression test and not a true leak-down test, so that's not revealing at all in a case of bent valves. The only real way to know is to go in and look.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white2001s10
Those are my thoughts exactly.
It sounds like they just did a compression test and not a true leak-down test, so that's not revealing at all in a case of bent valves. The only real way to know is to go in and look.
Agreed....... If he wanted to just for verification sake, he could put the air fitting for a spark plug socket in and blow some compressed air in there (compressor off) and get close and listen, a lot of times there will be some whistling sounds of air around the valve area if the valve(s) are bent. You'd have to do this on a cylinder that is on it's up stroke though so both valves are closed.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I'm gonna try the leak-down by putting my ear up to it and listening. But, I am leaning more and more towards pulling the heads. UGH... We will find out this weekend.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

My car sounded like a '72 Pinto with 200,000 miles on it after the cam swap...Put the adjustable Crane Rockers on and instantly...Sounds like it rolled off the assembly line...

Sounds alot like lack of pre-load to me...

Peace...Gman
Old 03-22-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gman2002Z06
Sounds alot like lack of pre-load to me...
Lack of preload is noisey for sure, but how do you suppose his heads grew about .100" away from the block? Or perhaps a cam with an extremely small base?

The fact that it was stated that it was put together out of time before would worry me the most.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white2001s10
Lack of preload is noisey for sure, but how do you suppose his heads grew about .100" away from the block? Or perhaps a cam with an extremely small base?

The fact that it was stated that it was put together out of time before would worry me the most.
The title from the thread says "INSANE noise." I don't think a lack of preload or too much preload would sound like a ball peen hammer getting beaten on piece of sheet metal. It's time to pull the heads IMO. I just hope he hasn't beaten the pistons up too bad. Also, if the heads have moved .100" away from the block surface........ yipes...... yeah, the heads need to come off.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

The heads will be coming off... no doubt about that. I'm banking on a bent valve or busted lifter. We shall see come this weekend, hopefully. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Exclamation lifters

just wondering if you changed ur cam? a buddy of mine got a real high lift cam and b/c of that he had to shave down metal under is valve covers to avoid hitting them. i know all you changed was lifters just wondering if you changed the cam too and forgot that step.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

He had a valve break off and embed itself in a piston. Look at this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/296794-what-knocking.html .

Steve
Old 04-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
The heads will be coming off... no doubt about that. I'm banking on a bent valve or busted lifter. We shall see come this weekend, hopefully. Thanks for all the help guys.
well?? was it valves?? After reading this thread I still cant understand why u cant figuer out if it was valves or lifters.. removing some pushrods along with sparkplugs should be a good idea to help pin-point the noise if it was a lifter.. You could even hold the pushrods in ur hand at idle, its not hard to figuer out lifter noise... Their should be some way to check valve lash on rockers or pushrod length. obviously if lash is to much it would give you taht tap-it sound...
Old 04-13-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbipo
well?? was it valves?? After reading this thread I still cant understand why u cant figuer out if it was valves or lifters.. removing some pushrods along with sparkplugs should be a good idea to help pin-point the noise if it was a lifter.. You could even hold the pushrods in ur hand at idle, its not hard to figuer out lifter noise... Their should be some way to check valve lash on rockers or pushrod length. obviously if lash is to much it would give you taht tap-it sound...
Look at the post above yours and check out his other thread. He broke a valve!