Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP PerformacePac: Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SLP PerformacePac: Bad News

The horsepower numbers for all SLP PerformancePacs were gained with 1.85-ratio rocker arms. The Pacs now come with 1.8-ratio rocker arms resulting in a significant loss of power over the "Guarateed Horsepower" number.

Also, the truck PerformancePacs claim up to 5% better fuel economy. This is also a false representation. Try it out. You'll see maybe 1-2% or no increase at all.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

1st post? hmmmmmmm
Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Teching In

maybe, but i'm in the know. if you don't believe me then see for yourself. just call and ask them if they will guarantee the horsepower numbers. that's all I'm saying
Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

But Dan Rather faxed him proof!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

slp is junk so i wouldn't doubt it
Old 03-25-2005, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

slp makes decent products but u can get a lot more for your money elsewhere
Old 03-25-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoeFranks
The Pacs now come with 1.8-ratio rocker arms resulting in a significant loss of power over the "Guarateed Horsepower" number.
I'm probably one of the last people to support SLP but how is 1.85 to 1.80 going to make a significant difference in power... what maybe 5 or so? Granted their numbers are already inflated. Now if this was not advertised, thats a different story.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

I bought SLP new pulley its very high quality. I bought there loudmouth too its very nice also.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike00FRC
I'm probably one of the last people to support SLP but how is 1.85 to 1.80 going to make a significant difference in power... what maybe 5 or so? Granted their numbers are already inflated. Now if this was not advertised, thats a different story.
Initially it was advertised that the package contained 1.85 rockers. Now advertisign has changed to 1.8 rockers to save money. But the horsepower number has stayed the same and now it is Guaranteed Horsepower. there's quite a big difference in the hp number between the 2 rockers. the package was not designed with 1.8 rockers. it was designed with the 1.85. this change will affect every component of the package.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by madpwr1
slp is junk
WERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now advertisign has changed to 1.8 rockers to save money.
What makes you think that 1.8 rockers are any cheaper than 1.85? Look around, every place I see rockers, theyre the same proce no matter what the ratio. IMHO, quite spending your time on rocker ratios and get a cam. Youre only getting lift with the rockers, the added duration via cam will have a greater impact.

-T
Old 03-25-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
WERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't agree enough.

JoeFranks, I'm glad you're "in the know", but I didn't need to be to realize SLP falsifies their HP claims excessively. They make crap except for their LM and subframes. Only two items that are worth a ****.

You're preaching to the choir on SLP, but I don't think coming on here talking to us like we're ignorant schoolboys that need to be educated will gain you much respect either.

Edit.....Guits, GREAT point, I always try to steer ppl clear of rockers. They're a shortcut to lift that shouldn't be taken as an initial step. Buy a cam instead.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe, but i'm in the know
... what's "the know"? where is it? can i be in too? anyone got directions?
Old 03-25-2005, 02:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and they got the 41rwhp /40rwtq claims from there headers from there h/c 383 setup from what i read a long *** time ago. the point is its pretty much common knowledge that SLP's claims are nothing more then .

they dont make a bad product, i just hate seeing peope, especially newbs getting sucked into there marketing.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:56 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Remember all advertising is indeed "ADVERTISING"! Thats what makes this site so great! You can save alot of money and time by weeding out the parts and vendors that aren't worth poop!!! Listen, ask questions and LEARN!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Remember all advertising is indeed "ADVERTISING"!
That's what people just don't understand, and need to realize claims for making power should be taken with a grain of salt. There are a lot of shady practices by vendors to inflate their product. For example:
  • Flow benches. Many head companies inflate their flow #s. Flow benches and their #s can be manipulated, and frequently are.
  • Dyno #s. Many companies inflate this # as well. Fairly easy by inflating tires, removing filter from intake lid, running no belt, running race gas to jack up timing, not smoothing dyno graphs, etc. SLP's header is an example with "up to 40hp gains." They don't tell you the 40hp gain occured on a whored out stroker motor running stock manifolds.
  • Misleading advertising, specifically a certain vendor's LS6 "style" heads. They even advertise them as "LS6 heads," and not ls6 "style" heads in their banner here on ls1tech.com for like $1395. These aren't LS6 heads nor do they flow nearly as well as ported ls6 heads, but it's clever enough to trick ignornant people into buying them.
All I can say is do your homework. Track #s are harder to manipulate than dyno numbers and flow numbers.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:32 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by verbs
That's what people just don't understand, and need to realize claims for making power should be taken with a grain of salt. There are a lot of shady practices by vendors to inflate their product. For example:
  • Flow benches. Many head companies inflate their flow #s. Flow benches and their #s can be manipulated, and frequently are.
  • Dyno #s. Many companies inflate this # as well. Fairly easy by inflating tires, removing filter from intake lid, running no belt, running race gas to jack up timing, not smoothing dyno graphs, etc. SLP's header is an example with "up to 40hp gains." They don't tell you the 40hp gain occured on a whored out stroker motor running stock manifolds.
  • Misleading advertising, specifically a certain vendor's LS6 "style" heads. They even advertise them as "LS6 heads," and not ls6 "style" heads in their banner here on ls1tech.com for like $1395. These aren't LS6 heads nor do they flow nearly as well as ported ls6 heads, but it's clever enough to trick ignornant people into buying them.
All I can say is do your homework. Track #s are harder to manipulate than dyno numbers and flow numbers.
that about sums it all up

but track numbers can be misleading as well if all the facts arent stated or understood. DA, raceweight, gears/stall, ect.

some people actually believe that all they need is T-rex, headers, and intake and they'll run 10.4 like rodney does. or 10.9 SI like Magnus did.

what it comes down to is that ever prevasive word: COMBO
Old 03-25-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'll be one of the other few to say SLP stuff isn't crap. Sure, some of their stuff is excellent and some is not so good, but that's true for many suppliers.

For those of us with SSs and Firehawks, it was their innovation and effort that brought the cars to life.

I don't know of too many people here "in the know" who bought their parts because of a performance gaurantee.

And BTW the gaurantee says the numbers "can be replicated" here's the quote:

WHY DON'T MY DYNO NUMBERS MATCH YOUR HORSEPOWER CLAIMS?
A: DYNAMOMETER RESULTS CAN BE INFLUENCED BY A NUMBER OF VARIABLES, INCLUDING ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS, OTHER MODIFICATIONS PERFORMED, AND THE TYPE AND CONDITION OF THE TESTING EQUIPMENT ITSELF. ALL OF OUR HORSEPOWER FIGURES WERE ACHIEVED ON OUR IN-HOUSE SUPERFLOW CHASSIS AND ENGINE DYNAMOMETERS AND HAVE PROVED REPLICABLE IN REAL-WORLD APPLICATIONS.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Launching!

There is a difference between, "Advertising," and "Fraudulent Misrepresentation." JMO
Old 03-25-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will learn real quick that most advertized numbers are bullshit!! Just a fact of life in the high performance arena..