Sponsored by:

Bad valve seals or Mac's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:44 AM
DJB
12 Second club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad valve seals or Mac's?

My car seems to be burning a lot of oil lately. It used to burn a quart about every 2000 miles which was ok. Now it seems to be burning about double that amount. I was thinking it could be bad valve seals. But then I did a search on oil consumption and found people with my same situation. Which is my car didn't burn this much oil until after I installed my Mac headers and ORY pipe about 7,000 miles a go. Have anyone figured out why Mac's and ORY make LS1's burn more oil. Should I replace my valve seals because I have a cam that I am getting ready to install? If me replacing them will not help with oil consumption then I wont touch them. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DJB
My car seems to be burning a lot of oil lately. It used to burn a quart about every 2000 miles which was ok. Now it seems to be burning about double that amount. I was thinking it could be bad valve seals. But then I did a search on oil consumption and found people with my same situation. Which is my car didn't burn this much oil until after I installed my Mac headers and ORY pipe about 7,000 miles a go. Have anyone figured out why Mac's and ORY make LS1's burn more oil. Should I replace my valve seals because I have a cam that I am getting ready to install? If me replacing them will not help with oil consumption then I wont touch them. Thanks.
holy **** u sound like ME....I too have MAC ML's and i burn oil...infact if i steppin on her u can see the smoke behind me....im thinkin valve locks or retainers...but the car only had 26000 miles when i got it...BUT the guy had the stuff installed in it already and had informed me of this...the only way to now for sure(as i am told is to do a leak down test)....im not to worried about it for now though...ur just gonna eat up spark plugs faster...and gas mil. might fall some....im gonna get that prob....looked at when i buy my heads though
Old 03-27-2005, 12:59 PM
dug
Banned

After I added the macs and cam the car burns a lot of oil during low load high rpms decels. I dont know if its the pcv, rings, or the valve seals. I think its probably the pcv because when I changed the intake it was full of oil from the pcv.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

I burn little to no oil with my macs. I removed AIR and there is no EGR since it's an '02.

I use Mobil 1 5W30 with one quart of 15W50 since I have piston slap. No consumption issues at all.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Bad Seller Alert

I had macs and burned alot of oil but im pretty sure it was the rings