Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve seal problem

Old 04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve seal problem

well i was changing out my valvesprings today with manley duals. the first one i did went well but right after i finished i realized that i had put an exhaust valve seal on an intake valve. all the other valvesprings got finished up just fine but how do i get that seal off. i tried for about 3 hours to get it off and the whatever i use (pliers, vice grips, channel locks) just gouge the metal. if i can't get it off what will happen if i just leave it on there. thanks for any help guys.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

somebody has to know what will happen if i leave an exhaust seal on an intake valve
Old 04-23-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

By no stretch of the imagination am I an expert on this subject, so take it for what it's worth.

Coincidently, I had this conversation with a friend of mine the other day (he happens to be very knowledgeable about cars). He told me that it's ok to place an exhaust valve seal on an intake valve, but it's not ok to do the opposite. His reasoning was that the exhaust and intake valve seals are the same size. The only difference is the exhaust valve seals are designed to handle high temperatures. Therefore, placing an exhaust valve seal on an intake valve will not cause a problem, but doing the opposite will. My only concern with your situation is that you've been trying to remove it and you may have damaged it.

Again I am no expert and the information I'm giving you is second hand.

Hopefully some of the experts can chime in and verify what I said.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 04-24-2005, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Nothing will happen as stated above they are made of 2 diffrent materails
if you use an intake on the ex.it will get hard and then fail.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, sounds like your attempt to getting it off warrants a new part anyhow. I would just get a new correct one and install it if it were me. Too much work on your entire project to allow one messed up seal stay in place. Now that its apart, why not finish it off correctly.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that's the main problem, i know i have the wrong seal on there but i can't get it off. i've tried everything i can think of but that seal is almost welded to the valve guide. the harder i try the worse i gouge the metal of the seal. i don't want to do that anymore cause of the shavings getting in the motor. if you guys have any ideas about how to get that seal off i'm open to any ideas at this point.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Use a screw driver under the seal and canterlever it up.

Last edited by ROGERSPERF.; 04-25-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Rollinna if you want send me your phone number and i will call you.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:40 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually if you grab the seal with some channel-locks from the top, you can wiggle it left and right. do this while pulling and it should come off. get on the horn and order up 2 new valve seals. screwdriver under it, then twist, should help to. maby squirt it with a little oil if it gets too hard for ya.

while farting around with the seal, you can place a shop vac on the head to suck up any shavings that might fall.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

these damn navy computers lock out all the features. i can't pm, email or anything but sometimes it will let me post. roger my email address here on the ship is rainsna@truman.navy.mil so shoot me an email and i'll give you my number. actually if you want you could send me your number and i'll give you a call when i get off duty and start working on the car. if i can this seal off all i've got to do is get that pickup tube bolt back in (it's definitely as hard as everyone says it is), put the front of the motor back on and i'll be able to start her up. thanks for all the help guys.

Search this Thread