Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Builder forgot to put the knock seals in the valley cover !

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Exatly...water and debris would eventually make their way down into the engine.

Yeah I caught it soon enough thank God ! It only has like 5K miles or so on it so I dont believe anything got into the motor . I wonder if the oil on the sensors harmed them in any way though ? I almost wanna get new ones but damn thats almost $100 bucks for sure .
Old 05-09-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, heres a question.

air goes in the intake, past the MAF where its measured... then into the throttlebody where most of it goes into the manifold.... but some goes into the crankcase...

the air going into the crankcase displaces the air getting sucked out of the crankcase on the other side of the throttlebody..... besides the extremly minor increase of displacement due to heating the air in the crankcase, the same measured air going into the crankcase is coming back out into the motor.

its a SEALED system. so yea, if there is a leak, you have unmetered air going into the motor..

big deal? not really.

but dont say its not happening when it is.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Yeah, there is unmetered air escaping there from blowby, but there is no vacuum leak as others have suggested. It's the same as installing a breather cap on the oil filler cap.

The danger isn't the unmetered air escaping it's the dirt that could make it in. As long as you don't wash the motor and spray it all the time, and the top seals are on it, it's not right (my bad, and I'm sorry) but it's not OMG either.

Honest and small mistake, I make them, 99.9% of the time they are small and harmless, like this one. I'd hate to have to rebuild it again for free.

And Joe, naaa, knock sensors get bathed in oil all the time, just clean them off and keep getting it!! Glad they had them in stock by you! They didn't at Hendrick in Durham.
-jeff
Old 05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

See Jeff is still DA MANG !

**** happens and people make mistakes . I just freaked out about this one cause of the money invloved . I have never in my life spent $3300 on a motor rebuild . Im just glad it isnt life threatening for the motor !

Last edited by 1999T/A; 05-09-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Jeff for stepping up and admitting you made a mistake - many people do not do that in the car business.

1999T/A good deal on fixing it yourself - now go enjoy!!

Quick Reply: HELP - Builder forgot to put the knock seals in the valley cover !