Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who IS running C5R heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who IS running C5R heads?

I have had this idea running through my head here lately and wanted to see what people were running.

Im doing 402 w/ a eagle crank and rods with diamond flat tops(which will prolly be too much compression, so i'll prolly go to a dished set up to get back around 12:1).... of coarse I'll be doing a solid roller and a sheet metal intake. But my goal is to have one BAD **** streetable engine(must run on pump gas) and then fog it with oodles of nitrous. I'm not looking to break any records but I don't want to be outrun within the state of mississippi(there are a few high 9 second ls1's and thats about it)... I'de like to break the 8 second barrier though.

BTW the block, crank, rods, pistons, and rings are already purchased... awaiting fitting of rings and being sent off to be balanced.

Josh S.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some C5R's sitting here...

Problem is you have to renotch the pistons and a 40-48cc chamber is going to have lots of compression so a custom piston is the way to go.

They also like a big bore like a 4.100 or larger.

The block is the only thing holding me back on this ****...

Bret
Old 05-24-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would look into the new heads comming from ET if I was you. They are geared up for a 4" bore and bigger and flow more then some of the c5-r offerings out there right now.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

I don't even like the idea of using these heads due to their small combustion chamber (38ish cc?)

Using heavily-dished pistons to lower the compression is a terrible idea and IMO is like a band-aid.

Mike
Old 05-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kraest
I don't even like the idea of using these heads due to their small combustion chamber (38ish cc?)

Using heavily-dished pistons to lower the compression is a terrible idea and IMO is like a band-aid.

Mike

A Band-Aid eh? Wow, I love the internet.

How about these then....

That's an expensive band-aid to me.... Custom reverse dome pistons, and a welded combustion chamber to get chamber volume down to 30cc.... And to think it ran on 13:1+ on pump gas with no problems... then again that guy who build it doesn't know that much, he only builds 815 cube mountain motors to push guys into the mid 6's at over 215mph. In fact he has the IHRA Pro Stock ET and MPH record with his motors, and the last 10 years powering the IHRA Pro Stock Champs.

Yeah that's a freaking band aid... That's why a SB2.2 on a Nextel Cup Motor (12:1) or a Busch Motor (9:1) does the exact same thing.

And these motors use even less total timing than a LS1 for max power, doing a chamber this way really must suck if you can get total burn to happen that fast.

There is a world out there full of better heads (both cylinder and brain) that makes a ton more power than a LS1 and you could probably learn from them. You picked the right guy to work with on your car there with Futral, so at least you have right idea to work with someone who knows what they are doing, but it would be a good idea to learn what you are talking about before you put your foot in your mouth.

Sorry Man, but I can't let grossly inaccurate statments prevail....End of Rant.

Bret
Old 05-24-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

And with small chamber heads and large dish pistons you have a lot more surface area for the hot combustion gasses to push downwards on the pistons with.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I would look into the new heads comming from ET if I was you. They are geared up for a 4" bore and bigger and flow more then some of the c5-r offerings out there right now.
Who is ET? Where can I get more info?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fandango
And with small chamber heads and large dish pistons you have a lot more surface area for the hot combustion gasses to push downwards on the pistons with.
You also have the air/fuel mixture charge centered closer to the spark plug... there is no hills to climb over like in a dome piston setup.

Remember it's a burn not a explosion.... getting the particles in closer proximity to the start of the burn is going to work much better. A sphere is going to burn faster than a pancake if you want to think of it that way.

Bret
Old 05-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
Who is ET? Where can I get more info?
They are a sponsor ------>

http://www.etheads.com/

I'm interested in what they are doing now as well.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bret

Quit taking the children to school and come on over so we can drink some beer and talk about cars.

Floyd.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:07 PM
5-7
Teching In

dshed pistons a band-aid. Now I've heard it all lol
Old 05-24-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is PLENTY more far-fetched stuff than that out there...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
Yes, we do have a c5r style cylinder head. it will fit properly on a 3.9 4.0 or 4.125 bore.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
A Band-Aid eh? Wow, I love the internet.

How about these then....

That's an expensive band-aid to me.... Custom reverse dome pistons, and a welded combustion chamber to get chamber volume down to 30cc.... And to think it ran on 13:1+ on pump gas with no problems... then again that guy who build it doesn't know that much, he only builds 815 cube mountain motors to push guys into the mid 6's at over 215mph. In fact he has the IHRA Pro Stock ET and MPH record with his motors, and the last 10 years powering the IHRA Pro Stock Champs.

Yeah that's a freaking band aid... That's why a SB2.2 on a Nextel Cup Motor (12:1) or a Busch Motor (9:1) does the exact same thing.

And these motors use even less total timing than a LS1 for max power, doing a chamber this way really must suck if you can get total burn to happen that fast.

There is a world out there full of better heads (both cylinder and brain) that makes a ton more power than a LS1 and you could probably learn from them. You picked the right guy to work with on your car there with Futral, so at least you have right idea to work with someone who knows what they are doing, but it would be a good idea to learn what you are talking about before you put your foot in your mouth.

Sorry Man, but I can't let grossly inaccurate statments prevail....End of Rant.

Bret
I love the rant...down with regurgitated ignorance.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Banned

ChucksZ06,

Not a problem... I might be one of the only people out there to see potential in the GM market, we just need to start thinking better than the Ford guys in terms of technology and not LBF (Low Buck F*^k) setups like a $400 turbo setup that I see those guys do.... I have no problem "ejumacating" guys on how motors work so that we can develop better motors and feed the market. The Ford guys really started this, then the import guys took over and the GM guys now have these awesome motors to play with. Who knows one day we might have Pro 5.7 Racing classes.... lol It would be cool to have a real racing class with EFI motors based on stock style layouts. Pro Stock is cool but those things are so far out there in terms of being a BBC or a "Hemi" it's silly.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-24-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cary et performance
Yes, we do have a c5r style cylinder head. it will fit properly on a 3.9 4.0 or 4.125 bore.
Cary - When will the info and pricing on these be released? I have been looking forward to these since I heard a rumor about them a few months ago. Thanks - TR
Old 05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

A Band-Aid eh? Wow, I love the internet.... so at least you have right idea to work with someone who knows what they are doing, but it would be a good idea to learn what you are talking about before you put your foot in your mouth.
Touche.

Advice you should take yourself before you ask your daddy to answer the questions for you. Don't think for a second I don't remember when you were a newbie on CZ28.com and asking completely retarded questions. I can post examples if need be.

Internet glory. Who loves it?

Everyone's a ******' hero.

Mike
Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned

LOL, funny.... I'm fully capable of answering my own questions but I'm lucky to have a father who taught me some great fundementals of this. Good try on a comeback though for getting owned on a post beforehand. You put your foot in your mouth, sorry your ego can't handle it. Go ahead and feel free to find a retarded question I asked on CZ28.com, I don't think I've ever asked a question, in fact all I do is answer them. If you really want to waste your time looking, sounds like a fun way for you to make a productive afternoon. Or you could work, which is what I'll be doing.

I could really care less about making this a pissing match, not worth the bandwidth.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-25-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bauer knows his ****, more so than all the people here.... He's almost as cool as me, but he doesn't drink Stag or Harps so he loses out. I'd prefer a small chamber as opposed to a big one. Detonation is a bad thing, bad bad bad.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

They are a sponsor ------>

http://www.etheads.com/

I'm interested in what they are doing now as well.

Are the intake ports (intake manifold-to-head face) a C5R derivitive (ie: will an intake built for a "real" C5R head fit on those etheads)?

Quick Reply: Who IS running C5R heads?