Sponsored by:

MTI or AFR heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get some LS6 heads ported by Advanced Induction

www.non-sponsor.com

My Vette made 412rwhp with a cam-only and no UD pulley and the stock TB.

Mike

Last edited by jrp; 06-02-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Restricted User

Wow, 412rwhp with Futral cam only? Sweet numbers, I wish my FRC will see that with it's cam ...hopefully soon.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

I've had neither, but how often do you hear about someone that is unhappy with the results, performance, or quality from a set of AFR heads. Not very often at all. Just some food for thought.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm happy with my AFR's, My HP was not all that great(numbers in sig corrected) but what I was really impressed with was my Torque curve from these heads and mods in the sig. that was with stock head gaskets, a baby TR224, and before the cutout and ported TB.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 06-01-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmaknSS
I'm happy with my AFR's, My HP was not all that great(numbers in sig corrected) but what I was really impressed with was my Torque curve from these heads and mods in the sig. that was with stock head gaskets, a baby TR224, and before the cutout and ported TB.
you have about the same set up as I have and your number are right about where I figure to be. your a good gauge for me
Old 06-17-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, Lots of sales on heads this month
TSP nice price on AFR , but pushing PRC

MTI always a nice price

hmmm
Old 06-17-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

I have a similar set-up as well. If I went anywhere besides AFR I would ask for a flow sheet and want to know exactly who did the headwork.

Best of luck with your combo.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Launching!

i vote for AFR. there's no exchange on them, so you could sell your stock heads or use them for a project
Old 06-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Teching In

AFRs all the way!
Old 06-17-2005, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

AFR'S Baby, getting a pair in a couple of months myself.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

MTI Stage 2E
Old 06-17-2005, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered my AFR 205's today. will post before and after dyno results
Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Launching!

So how many AFR cars in the tens? Like two. Enough said. My old MTI(About three sets ago) flow 331 at .600. I think the AFR are good out the box, but nothing replaces hand porting of any head, port matching on manifolds, etc.. All the fast cars 7,8,9 & 10 second cars are running really worked C5R, LQ9 or LS6 heads. Proof is in the results.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BUYAMERICAN
I think the AFR are good out the box, but nothing replaces hand porting of any head, port matching on manifolds, etc.. All the fast cars 7,8,9 & 10 second cars are running really worked C5R, LQ9 or LS6 heads. Proof is in the results.
Ya think?

Given the same runner volume, NOTHING I have seen come across my bench (or other peoples bench I trust to be accurate) has matched either AFR in flow (205 & 225). And only a select few have exceeded some of the peak #'s the AFR's routinely put down out of the box, however the disparity in port volume was tremendous and almost always the low and midlift #'s were softer.

The AFR's are extremely optimized for their size....I think an average "hand porter" has a greater chance of hurting them then helping them. A tremendous amount of R&D went into the port design and CNC execution of these cylinder heads. A talented ported could get them to flow more, but at higher lifts with an increase in port volume and larger cross sections....and a high likelihood that the end results would hurt some of the low and midlift numbers. Don't forget that the same talented hand porter would then have to duplicate his masterpiece seven more times on both intake and exhaust....not easily done if the port truly flows kick ***....any slight change in contour, shape etc. will quickly have a negative effect on a port thats close to optimal.

And yes....the proof is in the results....there are loads of positive AFR results and experiences in the Dyno section almost every week.

Also, comparing 7, 8, and 9 second race vehicles to the cars that typically run our "production style" bolt on AFR's is a bit silly....apples and oranges to say the least. We are manufacturing a killer "bolt on" street head for the masses, still capable of making big power and holding its own at the strip with right choice of complimenting components.

Tony M.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 06-18-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Right now I'd probably get AFR heads if was in the market
Old 06-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Ya think?

Given the same runner volume, NOTHING I have seen come across my bench (or other peoples bench I trust to be accurate) has matched either AFR in flow (205 & 225). And only a select few have exceeded some of the peak #'s the AFR's routinely put down out of the box, however the disparity in port volume was trememndous and almost always the low and midlift #'s were softer.

The AFR's are extremely optimized for their size....I think an average "hand porter" has a greater chance of hurting them then helping them. A tremendous amount of R&D went into the port design and CNC execution of these cylinder heads. A talented ported could get them to flow more, but at higher lifts with an increase in port volume and larger cross sections....and a high likelihood that the end results would hurt some of the low and midlift numbers. Don't forget that the same talented hand porter would then have to duplicate his masterpiece seven more times on both intake and exhaust....not easily done if the port truly flows kick ***....any slight change in contour, shape etc. will quickly have a negative effect on a port thats close to optimal.

And yes....the proof is in the results....there are loads of positive AFR results and experiences in the Dyno section almost every week.

Also, comparing 7, 8, and 9 second race vehicles to the cars that typically run our "production style" bolt on AFR's is a bit silly....apples and oranges to say the least. We are manufacturing a killer "bolt on" street head for the masses, still capable of making big power and holding its own at the strip with right choice of complimenting components.

Tony M.

stop posting and get the small chamber 225's ready j/k....
Old 06-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Launching!

I guess MTI produces two plus race only cars (The owners drive them home) once a week, that can do a nine or a ten out the box.. Nines with a 125 shot on 422+ motor. Have done so for the past five years.

I am waiting to see some, "worked," AFR's produce some great track numbers. Not saying that they will or won't, but at the end of the day, proof is in reality.

I believe you have a good product and I reliese that it has to appeal to certain market group. I think it would be silly as well to compare base AFR's to worked (10-30 hour) heads and not state that. Not my intention at all. I would like to see results from worked AFR's. Reality now, on a, "great and well worked," big bore head, intake flow at .600 is running 345-400 cfm, exhaust 230-270.

The nature of things, is that these numbers will look mild in a couple of years as things evolve. EG. Corvette three valve head or Ferrari 430 five valve head(remember that motor is only 3.5 liters)

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 06-19-2005 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo