Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grand am cam> TREX, G5X4, Magic Stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be installing the G5X4 in my forged 346 with some Absolute Stage Stage 2 heads any day now..I will be sure to post how it performs and dynos.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Beast: That is a very good explanation.

I just wasn't very clear in my post, I am fully aware of everything you stated. When I asked how it would make more power I was referring to total power (including low-mid "power under the curve") and not just peak power. I had forgotten about the softer lobes not falling off as hard though.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you want to know about any LG cam, or the Grand am cam? A G5x3 will make 10/10 over a grand am ca, idle and drive 100x better, with more lowend.

We have to run the Grand Am cam in Speed World Challenge due to the rules, so I know it quite well.

Those of you with LGM issues, please contact me directly. I dont deal with the street side of things right now very much, so I dont know your issue. Chris, send me a PM.

Louis
Old 06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run a shitload of duration without hurting the valvetrain on a cam with an old, slow ramp profile, but why would you want to in a streetcar?

Mike
Old 06-03-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

The ramp rates in the cup cam arent what I would call "old and slow". They just arent as fast as the current XER lobe profiles that everyone jumps after in the LS1 world. These cams can make a serious amount of HP with the right combos. They do need compression. From what I have been told they really start coming alive once the compression starts getting higher. They will also spin HUGE rpm without beating valve train comonents to smithereens.

If you want to have a good idea of what this cam is like in the right hands, go download one of LG's in car vids from this seasons race. The best is road atlanta with the long straight in it. They spin that motor like nothing youve ever heard.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:54 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

What he said. The LG car sounds like a two stroke pulling serious rpm!
Old 06-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Grand Am Cup cam is a very good cam for serious road race applications. It would not be very streetable IMO, though. Maybe Joel (Binks) will jump in here; he's had one for a long time, and he was tuning it for a long time as well. You have one in your new motor, right Nata?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cal
You have one in your new motor, right Nata?
Not in current motor. I have it sitting in the garage waiting to go into the 14.0:1 motor
Old 06-03-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cal
It would not be very streetable IMO, though. Maybe Joel (Binks) will jump in here; he's had one for a long time, and he was tuning it for a long time as well.
Tuning one of these cams seems to be the biggest issue with them. The narrow LSA and big duration make getting it to idle a nightmare. I have no idea how someone could get one of these cams to work in an A4 car. But thankfully one of our sponsors seems to have it down to a science.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
The ramp rates in the cup cam arent what I would call "old and slow". They just arent as fast as the current XER lobe profiles that everyone jumps after in the LS1 world. These cams can make a serious amount of HP with the right combos. They do need compression. From what I have been told they really start coming alive once the compression starts getting higher. They will also spin HUGE rpm without beating valve train comonents to smithereens.
Slower ramp rates aren't old, they just have there own place. Diffrent set-ups require diffrent things. Slower ramp rates and a asymetrical lobe design, like the G/A cup cam, have there place on the road course. Since these cars pretty much live at 5k+, a slow ramp rates allows more advertised duration, which in turn, will turn more RPM's and possiblly make more power, or at least hold peak power longer. The asymetrical design of the cam lets the valves open quicker, but close slower, which is a must in a car that has to sustain a long time at high rpm's. Is it something you would want in a street car? Hell no, but it does have it's place. It's actually a pretty advanced cam design.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I hope you don't mind Louis of me posting this video.
This has to be one of my favorites, i can listen to it all day. Correct me if i'm wrong but the idle is 1k+.

LG WC
Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Louis
Those of you with LGM issues, please contact me directly. I dont deal with the street side of things right now very much, so I dont know your issue.
Louis
You have a pm
Old 06-06-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what doesthe motor consist of in a car like that i.e., cid, size cam (general), heads, intake, etc ... just curious , and also what kind of power does it make?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Full-Force
what doesthe motor consist of in a car like that i.e., cid, size cam (general), heads, intake, etc ... just curious , and also what kind of power does it make?
I'm asumming your asking about LG's car... the one in the video is the '04 C5

Its a LS1 349ci with GM CNC heads (Lingenfelter Ported) GM part# 88958622
GM Grand Am cup cam 239/251 0.570/0.570 106LS Part# 88958606
LS6 Intake Manifold

The '05 C6 is a LS2 configuration (block and intake) with same heads and cam.

"rumor" is LG got it so well tuned to 500+ hp crank. Which may not seem like alot for you Gazillion horspower Lsx's, I'm sure Lou would love to put one of his Cam's in, and kick some viper and Porsche a$$.

This is the setup mandated for the Corvettes in SCCA World challenge

http://www.world-challenge.com/compe...te-C6-rev1.pdf

Louis may chime in with more details.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

I got the Grand Am Cup Cam

Mine idles at 850 fine and she fires up fast and goes straight to idling. I can get it to idle lower if i want but she shakes alot. Tuning was only an issue b/c i had a motor not up to par, which blew up. and i've been trying to tune the thing with no air/fuel so she always running way rich
but when i dyno'd her she ran 370rwhp @ 9 a/f mixture this is thru an A4
she also idles in gear.

I have another Vid i'm trying to get, racing a 500rwhp Black Cobra
I litterally put 8cars lengths on him he saids 10 but i doubt that. She was on the juice then

I'm now running a stock LQ4 w/SLP Headers and Grand AM CAM thru an A4 still. She runns even better, still running extremely rich but i cant seem to get to a dyno or get ahold of a wideband so until then i know she got alot more potential..
but shes still good enough to kill a modded Cobra The vide below is with the LQ4 , headers, cam, and borla turbo muffler i'll be putting on an XR1 soon

driveability is fine sometimes she surges alot from unstable air , but an easy fix there would be a bigger vacuum resivor..
Old 06-18-2005, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DVCrazyCamTAWs6
I got the Grand Am Cup Cam

Mine idles at 850 fine and she fires up fast and goes straight to idling. I can get it to idle lower if i want but she shakes alot. Tuning was only an issue b/c i had a motor not up to par, which blew up. and i've been trying to tune the thing with no air/fuel so she always running way rich
but when i dyno'd her she ran 370rwhp @ 9 a/f mixture this is thru an A4
she also idles in gear.

I have another Vid i'm trying to get, racing a 500rwhp Black Cobra
I litterally put 8cars lengths on him he saids 10 but i doubt that. She was on the juice then

I'm now running a stock LQ4 w/SLP Headers and Grand AM CAM thru an A4 still. She runns even better, still running extremely rich but i cant seem to get to a dyno or get ahold of a wideband so until then i know she got alot more potential..
but shes still good enough to kill a modded Cobra The vide below is with the LQ4 , headers, cam, and borla turbo muffler i'll be putting on an XR1 soon

driveability is fine sometimes she surges alot from unstable air , but an easy fix there would be a bigger vacuum resivor..
That Gran Am Cam is a lopey mo fo but...that sucker pulls farking hard...
Old 06-18-2005, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPIV
That Gran Am Cam is a lopey mo fo but...that sucker pulls farking hard...
Huh, Who pulls hard?

Quick Reply: grand am cam> TREX, G5X4, Magic Stick