Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to correctly plan/build a motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is why I think that 'LS1 People', as a group, are the biggest bunch of idiots ever.
I think I'll speak for LS1 people as a group, that you being here makes you guilty by association

Certain people have a nag about picking 2 lines out of a whole context and take as point of focus.

Now I understand why our congress fell into the "Weapons of mass destruction bit".
Old 06-18-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No affiliation here. Just check the sig for proof! We have a SBC in a Mustang!

Engines are all just air-pumps anyways.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Shoot! You don't even have a grasp of your own language.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Nothing worse than domestic-rice...
Old 06-18-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

This topic has taken a turn for the worst.

In any case, Bret, that's a photo of my Sportsman II chamber.

2.02 valves close up look like big block valves
Old 06-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Anyways, I know one thing, I would never come to you for building my motor. Because from what I gather, It is certainly not your lack of knowledge, (you have plenty knowledge), it is the way you always like to impose your opinions as the final ones without trying to listen, understand and being a teacher of knowledge, instead of an imposer of knowledge.
I'm sorry (actually I pity), characters like yours, that always have to put down people, because you have achieved a certain degree of education in a certain subject.
God bless you, at least he understands.
I don't appologize for who I am man... That would not be fair to myself as a person. If people don't like me, that's ok there are more out there.... Same thing applies to females which guys never realize, if one does not like you it's not the end of the word, it's actually a good thing that you find that out EARLY so you can move to the next one. And PLEASE DON'T PITTY ME! Pitty the poor kids you see on late night TV where $0.80 a day could help, hell don't pay your internet bill for a month and give it to those kids, they actually need help.

What I'm saying here is not opinion a lot of the time, this is not a philosophy class in college (which I did a lot of) it's a discussion about how I and most engine builders SCIENFICIALLY BUILD ENGINES.

I come on here ONLY to try and teach and help people out, I do listen, but what you are doing is basically the pot calling the kettle black. At a point I'm going to be IMPOSING rather than TEACHING because the TEACHING didn't get thru..... "Preditor-Z land" is a direct reference to being close minded... that's the whole point of that comment.

I'm picking on you on here to get your attention, you really should realize that when I say the things on here I say it's out of doing these things long enough that I am pretty confident that this is how the world works, not my internet guru opinion of how I think it works. If there is something I didn't state clearly enough, ask a question don't tell me you pitty me cause I don't really care if you do or not.

BTW, It's ok that you are not my customer.... I don't have the time in the day to argue and explain everything. I have no problem telling someone that they have a pile of parts here and they need to come get them because it sounds like they know more about this than I do.... Don't think that's concieded or cocky, that comes from "I do it the way I know works or I'm not doing it at all" because if something goes wrong because I did it the way the customer would and not my way, that's not a excuse it's still my fault since I built the thing..... Lessons well learned in bussiness.

Lets' get back to the meat of this now.....

In fact do me a favor, go fill out EDC's camshaft form WITHOUT any info on the heads, no flow numbers, no port volumes, valve sizes and of course no idea of static compression ratio because without the heads you don't know that. See what he e-mails you back and says.... It's close to impossible to pick out a cam without any knowledge on the heads and that's just one part of this. I know what I would say, but I would guess postitive re-enforcement of these same principals MIGHT get the point across.
Go do this and send us his response.

Bret
Old 06-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
This topic has taken a turn for the worst.

In any case, Bret, that's a photo of my Sportsman II chamber.

2.02 valves close up look like big block valves
Thanks, I knew I saw that before!

It's good to see that some people understand how the world works... anyone who knows how to use a degree wheel is good by me!

Bret
Old 06-18-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

I just have to say, there isn't much difference of strategy, or concepts of
building a motor whether it be a Gen I Chevy, or the latest LS series motors.

Dare I say, there is less new technology in the LS design relative to the
competition
, than back in they day when Pontiac and Mopar (to name a couple)
were carving the way for engine design.

Aside from the LS7 which has taken a small leap forward with the RPM peak
(while maintaining pushrod technology) and the efficient chamber design,
I really don't see the why so many treat the LS motor so differently.

Possibly because of the unique shape of the LS1/6 head runners which were
believed to be the reason behind the flow and power of the LS1/6?

From what I've seen, GM engineers are stil ltaking the tech from yesterday's engine
and applying it.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just have to say, there isn't much difference of strategy, or concepts of building a motor whether it be a Gen I Chevy, or the latest LS series motors.
Fully agree. Airpumps are airpumps.

Dare I say, there is less new technology in the LS design relative to the competition, than back in they day when Pontiac and Mopar (to name a couple) were carving the way for engine design.
Audi, with very current technology like DFI for gasoline engines, and Corvette CR6 with "old" technology just won LeMans, both for multiple times. I find that very interesting.

As far as Pontiac and Mopar in the 60s, we should discuss that over a few beers. I was fortunate enough to be very close to some of those events a few careers ago. It may not be as you think.

Aside from the LS7 which has taken a small leap forward with the RPM peak (while maintaining pushrod technology) and the efficient chamber design, I really don't see the why so many treat the LS motor so differently.

Possibly because of the unique shape of the LS1/6 head runners which were believed to be the reason behind the flow and power of the LS1/6?
It's not really different, just more highly developed, sorta like man among the primates.

From what I've seen, GM engineers are still taking the tech from yesterday's engine and applying it.
"Refining it" would be my choice of words. DOHC tech is about as old as pushrod tech, maybe much older. Getting there is probably more important than the route you take.

My $.02
Old 06-19-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

It may not be as you think.
I'd love to know the down and dirty details!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the numbers of the LSx.
It seems GM has finally started to give the performance consumer something
they want with the development of the LSx heads.

Fast burn chamber design, coupled with tighter quench, and even a 'coolant
free' composite intake manifold (< nice touch).

I guess I'm a sucker for new tech., and when I read about the competition
taking risks and marketing their DOD, Hybrids, variable valve timing, dynamic
intake tuning (I believe BMW?), I'm wondering why GM is not taking a lead in
any of their platforms?

Do you recall any recent headlines that GM stood out with a breakthrough,
or leading concept? I mean that sincerely, because I can't think of any
(aside from LS7). For me, I'm dating back to the LT5 planted into the Vette.

Having said that, I like the proven and inexpensive design of the pushrod engine.

It makes people like myself less apprehensive to dig into these motors and
play. I'm sure the aftermarket is taking advantage of this as well.

I can't argue with your clarifications, or logic. I'm just a little angry about
the loss of the F-body platform, and the current politcs.

P.S. Patiently waiting for GM to release a HOT looking, REAR wheel drive replacement for the Camaro

What does my reply have to do with building an engine? Nothing!

What do you all prefer when designing engines? Natural Aspiration, boost, nitrous, alternative fuel (aside from pump gasl)?
Old 06-19-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to know the down and dirty details!

What do you all prefer when designing engines? Natural Aspiration, boost, nitrous, alternative fuel (aside from pump gasl)?
Sorry, but the details aren't D & D, but they are interesting. There were some great gearhead engineers @ Pontiac way back then.

500 cubes, 8400 rpm, huge Roots blower and 85% CH3NO2

Seriously, NA/petrol. BTW, It's SStrokerAce that does engines. I consult for him.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Tribe Shaman

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
once you narrowed down what CI's you want, what is next-

-meaning... do you pick CR first, or cam, or heads, valve sizes?

i know that you should have in mind what you want out of your new motor but after all the needs/wants are wrote down and thought about what order do you plan your "hardware?"

when i build this motor i want to make sure it is planned and matched perfectly

this is for you JRP
for everyone who ask this question, here is your answer.

since the early days of racing for the rich to the poor.

Speed is a Question of money.
How much power and how fast you go depends on how much you put in to it.
the highest priced brand name is not always the best part to buy.

one of the best ways to save money on a build is to use the machine shop and do it your self.
or you can pay the higher price, order it from a catalog, and pay someone to build it for you.

i would have to say, the very first thing to do. is get this book.
HOW TO BUILD A LS1 - LS6 HIGH PORFORMANCE MOTOR.
this book will help you decide what you want to build with out having to ask questions of how.
but questions of where do i get this and were do i get that.
that book will help you more then any one can on this board.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
once you narrowed down what CI's you want, what is next-

-meaning... do you pick CR first, or cam, or heads, valve sizes?

i know that you should have in mind what you want out of your new motor but after all the needs/wants are wrote down and thought about what order do you plan your "hardware?"

when i build this motor i want to make sure it is planned and matched perfectly

this is for you JRP
Based upon your desired displacement, you will know what kind of heads you'll need. If going 400+ cubes, you should have at least a 2.08 intake valve and a 1.6 exhaust valve. These can usually be purchased from any sponsor in a stage 3 setup. You'll also need high flow numbers which can be attained with 6.0L heads, LS6 heads, and AFR 225's with some touching up. TEA has some of the highest flowing heads out there as well as Meaux Racing (head porter for Futral).

You'll want to pick a cam based upon your engine wants. Do you want forced induction, or a naturally aspirated beast? Once you've decided, I would recommend talking to Allen over at Futral, and he'll steer you in the right direction. You will also base your CR off of the same thing - forced induction or NA. FI will require a low CR, and NA you'll want to go into the 11.x:1 range to stay on pump gas.

Also, if you're going to build an engine, don't skimp on parts. You typically get what you pay for, so get the best and build it with the best while you have everything being assembled.

Everyone knows how many cubes they want, and whether or not they want to run power adders. Just post what you're thinking about, and 99% of the people on here will probably recommend the same parts for your setup.