Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC or AFR heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005 | 02:52 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by JakeFusion

Tony, I think AFR heads are about the best out there, but that's not a fair comparison. We have dynos of the PRC heads and they pick up close to the same amount of HP and nearly as much torque as the AFR 205s. Plus, they are based on the GM casting, which we all know is utterly inferior. How else would LS1s with over 150k miles still be running perfectly fine? <-- Sarcasm.

Phil, if you aren't going to spray huge amounts of nitrous on your engine or run loads of boost, the PRCs will be fine, especially for the price. Hell, for the amount of money saved, you could buy a nitrous kit to go with the PRCs and spray a 150 shot (which won't destroy stock heads because of their inferior deck thickness) and you will wipe the floor with the AFR headed car you would have had.

But, if you have the money, then this isn't an issue. Buy the AFRs because it is a better head, and you'll pay for it. If it is, then the PRCs and nitrous is a better value.
or better yet why doesnt one just buy an even cheaper head then the PRC and just buy a bigger nitrous kit and wipe the floor with the PRC headed car you would of had .

what you buy is what you get with the AFR's. to me consistancy is worth an extra weeks paycheck. and in the grand scheme of things when your all said and done a h/c setup will run you ~3k, whats a few more dollars spend toward the better heads...
Old 06-26-2005 | 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Some of these replies really entertain me! Just because some products cost alot more doesn't mean the product is better. I like AFR heads alot, they flow what they're suppose to & offer a thicker deck for the n2o & boost guys. That being said the PRC head flows more air, offers more compression, & has better springs.

The statements about consistancy is completely rediculous! All PRC cylinder heads are checked & triple check & I believe are every bit as consitant as the AFR heads. Just because something is alot more expensive doesn't always make it better. Maybe it means they just have alot of overhead...

The bottom line is both heads are really nice & will offer great power gains!

Originally Posted by jrp
or better yet why doesnt one just buy an even cheaper head then the PRC and just buy a bigger nitrous kit and wipe the floor with the PRC headed car you would of had .

what you buy is what you get with the AFR's. to me consistancy is worth an extra weeks paycheck. and in the grand scheme of things when your all said and done a h/c setup will run you ~3k, whats a few more dollars spend toward the better heads...
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 06-26-2005 | 03:58 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Jason, my post was not meant to imply the PRC heads are inconsistant. my point was show Jake's error of reasoning. Phil is just looking for a reason not to get AFR's over MTI, PRC, TEA, ect, ect. like i stated, what you get with AFR is consistancy, just look at all the guys that have swapped from XYZ to AFR and have nothing but praise. im sure those XYZ vendors all touted there heads as being "the ****" and yet when it came down to it they didnt perform. since AFR's inception i havent seen an independent set that was +/- 8cfm from what is advertised. unfortunately the same cant be said for alot of others...

compression can be made up my milling and thinner gasket, the heads can be bought bare for the springs and valves of your choice, or you can upgrade the springs to the 8019's (i believe) which have seat and open pressure comperable if not more then the platinum springs. even so, the standard associated golds have already proven to be a great spring and more then what is needed for most cams out there.

like i said in my PM, i'll have a chance too see some independent numbers on a new set of PRC's, im interested too see how they fair.

and for the record my heads where "advertised" TWICE to flow more then a set of AFR's, to bad independent testing didnt share the porters same enthusiam....
Old 06-27-2005 | 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Exclamation

"Just an old proverb"...

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten!

Ed
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

So the trick is find good quality at a reasonable price- ie "cutout the middleman"
Old 06-27-2005 | 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
So the trick is find good quality at a reasonable price- ie "cutout the middleman"
Don't you think it would be better to "cut out" those "inflated advertised flow figures" and "bigger is better" BS artists....

Y'all gotta tell me about that deal JRP!

Ed
Old 06-27-2005 | 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by EDC
"Just an old proverb"...

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten!

Ed
Oh so true.....
Old 06-27-2005 | 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
20 Year Member

I think the best part about all of these comparisons is that some of the people talking down the PRC's have never even seen a set! We could charge $2,182 for a set of PRC's, but there isn't much bang-for-the-buck. Price is a driving force in the cylinder head market, and we can offer the PRC's for a great price. That doesn't mean that the heads are inferior. Every part on the PRC's are American-made. They come standard with Manley valves on the stage 2 and 2.5's, they use a valve spring that will take up to .660" lift, they can be shaved to net the customer's desired CR, etc. If we're going to talk about a product being better than another let's use facts and not shots-in-the-dark. We all know who set the bottom on the market and scared people with an array of problems. Don't judge another product simply because it can offer an excellent price with quality parts. It would be one thing to not like a product based on an experience with them, but it's another to talk a product down simply because they're cheaper in price.

As more and more results roll in from customers, I think we'll see the scare tactics fall to the side.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about any of the PRC cylinder heads, feel free to give me a call or shoot me an e-mail at trevor@texas-speed.com.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 06-27-2005 | 11:05 AM
Restricted User

Not trying to hijack, but how much nitrous shot size or boost has either head been proven to, and repeatability is a good thing in this case? Cylinder pressure can make for some bad times, and coming from PP headed car, I am looking into a swap.
Old 06-27-2005 | 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
We all know who set the bottom on the market and scared people with an array of problems.
Trevor
...and we all know who pimped those products and told us they were great too.
Old 06-27-2005 | 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KGSloan
...and we all know who pimped those products and told us they were great too.
I'd leave that alone. There is supposedly a lot more to it than that. It has been discussed at length before, even if the thread is no longer here, and this qualifies as a cheap shot.
Old 06-27-2005 | 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CAT3
Not trying to hijack, but how much nitrous shot size or boost has either head been proven to, and repeatability is a good thing in this case? Cylinder pressure can make for some bad times, and coming from PP headed car, I am looking into a swap.
You corn-fused the hell out of me here, what are you saying hear?
Old 06-27-2005 | 06:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
20 Year Member

I won't even discuss that topic at this point. That horse has been beaten way too many times.

Trevor
Old 06-27-2005 | 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

you want dyno #s here.

434 rwhp @ 6000
413 rwtq @ 4500 approx cant remember

made over 400rwhp from 4700-7000

PRC 2.5's, Futral FM-8 N2O cam 225/233 .59/.59 114, all major bolt-on's.

I am very pleased with my decision. And too the guy asking about nitrous on either heads. I made 648rwhp 700rwtq from a 225 shot. This was on the stock short block.
Now back on topic.
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well im not sure what to say about a thread I started. I feel like Dr. Frankstein.

It was a pleasure talking to Tony at AFR and Jason at TSP today. Both enlightened me not only about heads, but how my car will react to a little TR224 which at one time was a big cam

Both of you answered an array of questions about more than just heads on the car, but additional parts I thought ID need but wont need.

like I said in the first thread, leaving 10 RWHP on the table isnt a factor for me. ID be happy with 410 RWHP, and I think Id make it with AFR and be close with PRC.

I wont be putting juice in the car so that is off the table.

Id like for the car to be able to be driven on a hot florida day w/o pinging on 92 oct

I just have to see if personally Id like to buy heads and a clutch for the same price I can buy a slightly better head
Old 06-27-2005 | 08:20 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by EDC
"Just an old proverb"...

Ed
damn, if i had room in my sig i'd add that
Old 06-27-2005 | 10:20 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
like I said in the first thread, leaving 10 RWHP on the table isnt a factor for me. ID be happy with 410 RWHP, and I think Id make it with AFR and be close with PRC.

I just have to see if personally Id like to buy heads and a clutch for the same price I can buy a slightly better head
Phil...

Get the PRC's and put the extra money towards the clutch....I'm sure they will work fine. Seems you are not as concerned with some of the unique features and structural benefits the AFR's offer as you are with saving the money. I'm not even kidding....the AFR's are a good head but no product is the right choice for everybody.

Plus I think if this goes on much longer I might have a nervous breakdown

(Just having some fun.... Seems we could use a little "levity" on this board of late...)

Anyway, it looks to me like a no lose situation....either direction you...uuum....choose....has it's merits and would would work out well

Tony M.
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

dare I say it took months for me to choice a cam
reseaching is what the forum is for.
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

fwiw if I were going to buy new heads? I'd Buy the best Phil. IMHO AFR would be the first choice.

Worth the extra money.

JB
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

JB,
I thought you were getting heads for your ride?

did that change?

Quick Reply: PRC or AFR heads