Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help idnetifying Crane rocker arm install parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car wont start =( its cranking but the sound only has the spinning sound to it....? its not making the "ch ch ch" sound if you know what i mean
Old 06-25-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

22 ft/lb isn't much. I'd go a lot higher than that. You don't need to use a torque wrench on the set screws, but just make sure they are real tight. A good "T" handle allen wrench will suffice and put as much wrist into it as you have. You don't want them coming loose while your at 6K. I took my studs and set screws and touched their faces on the side of my bench grinder wheel for a seconds to make their faces are flush to each other as they buck up against each other when I tightened the set screws down. The added purchase you get from doing this reduces the chance they'll come loose on their own, but the best insurance is a healthy dose of twisting force.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

I was just thinking you could also use an one of those allen wrenches that is mounted on a 1/4th" or 3/8ths" drive socket. With one of those and a short breaker bar you could get some good torque on the set screw. Don't be afraid to tighen those set screws down real tight. That's steel not aluminum. I wouldn't try getting away with trying to tighten BOTH the polylock AND the set screw together even on the last turn. You need to be ABSOLUTELY SURE those set screws are tight by making you last step the process of tightening the set screw while holding the polylock stationary at the point where the preload is at the correct value. This is because once you've reached the point where the preload is set with the appropriate number of turns of the polylock the set screw locks the polylock in place which holds your preload fixed at the value you want it to be. If you turn both the polylock AND the set screw at this point the preload value increases by the amount you turn the polylock.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely rockers are adjusted too tight. this makes the valves hang open. how did you do zero lash? you are only to use your fingers to set zero lash. then start using the wrench to do hte 8 1/4 turns. if you need some help PM me and i'll PM you my phone number.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the photos and comparing yours to mine, your set screws are sticking up a lot further than mine did at 2 full turns beyond zero lash. That makes me think you tightened them too far somehow. Maybe you were making 1/2 turns instead of 1/4 turns? Do what mrr23 says. I'm sure he'll get you straight. Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i finger tightened them way too much.. all is well now though and the cars runs great even with a f'ed up plug wire
Old 06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear it.