Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you change anything in my new set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Would you change anything in my new set-up?

I am building my new 346 with my old GTP stg 2 heads(milled .030) 78mm LSX, ls6 shortblock, Yella Terras, PRC springs, Comp R lifters, and all the bolt ons except EWP. I am going with a TSP Magic stick cam or a G5X3 cam.
Everything I have used before except the Comp R lifters. Some people tell me I should ditch the Yella Terras and the Comp R lifters and just use stock stuff...? What do you guys think?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a98ws6
Anybody?
I would go with stock lifters and rocker arms, I think you should use the 90mm Lsx with that big of a cam i'm sure it can't hurt. Good luck hope all turns out the way you want.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brokez
I would go with stock lifters and rocker arms, I think you should use the 90mm Lsx with that big of a cam i'm sure it can't hurt. Good luck hope all turns out the way you want.
Thanks for the reply! Anybody else?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody? I am just mostly trying to figure out if I should stay with the Comp R lifters I bought, instead of stock, and also if I should keep using my Yella Terra's instead of the stock ones? I hear they both can give problems???
Old 06-26-2005, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Nothing wrong w/the YT's and "R's" if set up properly(IE: PR length/preload).

Also nothing wrong w/stock rockers/lifters. A no brainer install(preload is always best checked w/either on an aftermarket stick IMO).

Lot's of folks making reliable power w/the stock pieces.
FWIW.... I'm running stock rockers/Comp. R's. No problems...
Old 06-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone that says to go with stock lifters and rockers over what you're talking about using is crazy. with the cams you're looking at stock lifters will be the weak point and the "r"s or some morel hyd lifters are the only way to go. and the roller rockers free up power and will be better for use if you ever upgrade you motor again to bigger and better. and with the motor you're talking about putting together putting an LSX 78 mm on it would be horrible..the 90 is the only way to go

Last edited by liftin'em on nittos; 06-26-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by liftin'em on nittos
anyone that says to go with stock lifters and rockers over what you're talking about using is crazy. with the cams you're looking at stock lifters will be the weak point and the "r"s or some morel hyd lifters are the only way to go. and the roller rockers free up power and will be better for use if you ever upgrade you motor again to bigger and better. and with the motor you're talking about putting together putting an LSX 78 mm on it would be horrible..the 90 is the only way to go
You're right... I'm crazy. Dunno WTF I'm doing either. Just REAL lucky... along with THOUSANDS of other people using stock lifters/rockers making above average power safely and reliably over a long period of time.
With the cams he's looking at, the stock rockers and lifters are fine.....and the R's or Morels are NOT the only way to go.... as long as said parts are in good condition, and preload is checked and is w/in tolorence.

Are the R's and roller rockers a better choice for overall quality/HIGH demand applications? Yes. No argument there.
Are they worth the $$$ on a non track dedicated motor? Your call. Your money.

True... roller tipped rockers will free up a little power, and will help w/ power robbing friction/heat, but on his proposed combo.... well... see paragraph 1.

JMFUO......
Old 06-26-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

How do I check the pre-load? Thanks for the opinions guys!