Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

terrible banging sound from motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low oil can also cause lifters to collapse. The first thing I'd do is change the oil and filter. That way when you're checking for the noise, if it is just a lifter or a broken rocker or something you'll be running it with clean oil.

Changing the oil will also let you see if there is any metal in the pan or any other indication of damage.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question for you. If you collapse a lifter, is that lifter done for or can it "un-collapse"? Do you have to have zero oil pressure to collapse a lifter or just low volume?

Thanks
Dave
Old 07-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01350ss
smart idea man. again, i'm not discounting anybodies advice or thoughts, just giving some more "pre-repair" advice

p.s. where do you live? if your close, i'll give you a hand
I live in Sicklerville, NJ winslow township. where do you live in north jersey any idea how far away that is? i truly appreciate the offer. I have two mechanics lined up to give it a look tomorrow and im gonna see what they think im not sure of their reputation so im gonna get as much information as i can.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Low oil can also cause lifters to collapse. The first thing I'd do is change the oil and filter. That way when you're checking for the noise, if it is just a lifter or a broken rocker or something you'll be running it with clean oil.

Changing the oil will also let you see if there is any metal in the pan or any other indication of damage.
ill be sure to do that tomorrow. thanks for the help
Old 07-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cal
It may not be as bad as you think. Find out what it is before you panic. It's possible that the crank can be salvaged. An LS1 bearing is about $25. Thunder Racing has Eagle cranks on sale right now for about $850. The expensive part is all the labor, but you could do that yourself if you are willing to take this on as a learning project and buy a few tools. All the tech you need is right here on the forum.
thank you ill look into that. is it possible that it could be JUST the bearing if i could get away with spending 25$ for parts that would be nuts.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

violator, if your anywhere near cherry hill, than your about 3 hours away. not to bad of a drive (i like driving) let me know what you find or what you want to do, and we'll go from there. For instance, if your problem is a lifter and you don't want to pay out the *** for labor, I will be more than willing to drive to help a fellow member out. (for your reference, i'm only 24, but have 7 ls1 head and cam swaps and about 5 or 6 plain cam swaps under my belt-not to mention like i said prior, I am a mechaninc)
Let me know
Justin
Old 07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01350ss
violator, if your anywhere near cherry hill, than your about 3 hours away. not to bad of a drive (i like driving) let me know what you find or what you want to do, and we'll go from there. For instance, if your problem is a lifter and you don't want to pay out the *** for labor, I will be more than willing to drive to help a fellow member out. (for your reference, i'm only 24, but have 7 ls1 head and cam swaps and about 5 or 6 plain cam swaps under my belt-not to mention like i said prior, I am a mechaninc)
Let me know
Justin
thats great, i am another half hour down from there if thats not bad. i can tell you have experience then and i really appreciate this. ill find out whats going on hopefully tomorrow. Oh and my name is Justin too ill keep ya updated thanks alot
Old 07-07-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let us know what you find out... I think I might have a bad lifter
Old 07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Launching!

well i couldnt get someone to come here today to look at becasue it was pooring rain. there is a place nearby that would look at it for me but i would have to get it there. should i definitley not drive the car?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Just for the record! I had the same thing! Mines was much much worse (i think) I heard the same noise! Took it to the dealer! My clutch was gone bent rod and bearing! Over all I got a new LS1....Damages and Labor = $5000 ...so they just said **** it and gave me a new engine! Had to pay $1200 for clutch and tranny!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Launching!

But Im almost certain you have the same problem! If you drove it hard while the oil was bad or you did something else like miss a shift or something!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by violator6090
my car is a 98 TA ls1 A4. I have a transgo shift kit with headers on back. yesterday i drove home from my friends house and remebered it was time to get my oil changed soon and as i was thinking of that i started hearing terrbile banging or clanking sounds comming from under the hood. the more gas i gave it the faster the clank sounded i was right around the corner so i pulled in and popped the hood. i checked my fluids and i had hardly any oil it was maybe showing a centimeter on the dipstick. i filled it back up and still the banging. i have no idea whats wrong but the banging sounds like it is right around my intake manifold. could this be a busted push rod? any help would be great. i also had no leaking of oil so i dont know why the hell it was so low.
What year did they put low oil sensors in the pan. As for being low on oil thats normal. The LS1 is notorious for blow by and the more miles the worst it gets. Sorry to hear about the little man thats stuck in your engine with a hammer. Can you get us a sound byte so we can help a little better.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by electricz28
What year did they put low oil sensors in the pan. As for being low on oil thats normal. The LS1 is notorious for blow by and the more miles the worst it gets. Sorry to hear about the little man thats stuck in your engine with a hammer. Can you get us a sound byte so we can help a little better.
thats actually a great idea. only problem is that the only sound recorder i have is on my desktop computer i dont have any digital one or anything. but i may just go ahead and bring my comp out into the garage and use the mic it came with. if that gives a decent recording ill let you guys hear it. thanks alot why didnt i think of that...like i said before though if its any damages that would cost over a grand or so then ill just save for a 383 or 383 stroker if the block is fine.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Teching In

spun bear, or rocker arm got lose, It has happend to me before. is It a high pitch knocking or a deep?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

i'm **** outta luck too , i know my lifter is toast again, but i'm unsure how to figure out if i have spun a bearing without replacing the lifter and then starting it up and finding out the car is still broken as i have already replaced it myself once and it isn't the most fun thing in the world to do.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
spun bear, or rocker arm got lose, It has happend to me before. is It a high pitch knocking or a deep?
more high pitch almost like a tank tank tank tank like metal hitting metal