Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

terrible banging sound from motor

Old 07-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy terrible banging sound from motor

my car is a 98 TA ls1 A4. I have a transgo shift kit with headers on back. yesterday i drove home from my friends house and remebered it was time to get my oil changed soon and as i was thinking of that i started hearing terrbile banging or clanking sounds comming from under the hood. the more gas i gave it the faster the clank sounded i was right around the corner so i pulled in and popped the hood. i checked my fluids and i had hardly any oil it was maybe showing a centimeter on the dipstick. i filled it back up and still the banging. i have no idea whats wrong but the banging sounds like it is right around my intake manifold. could this be a busted push rod? any help would be great. i also had no leaking of oil so i dont know why the hell it was so low.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Spun rod or main bearing maybe
Old 07-07-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Spun bearing sounds like... had that same noise.. turned out to be a spun bearing.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Launching!

spun bearing, is that really bad? will this cost alot to fix and replace the part? where could i get it from and would it be real bad to drive the car?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Don't crank or drive it. Start by pulling the intake manifold. Have someone bump the motor just enough so that you can tell where the noise is coming from.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Teching In

i have the same problem right now so whats the damage on repairing it?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by violator6090
spun bearing, is that really bad? will this cost alot to fix and replace the part? where could i get it from and would it be real bad to drive the car?
Oh boy.... dude spun bearing is a crank bearing.... as in engine overhaul. Does it sound like someone knocking on the door. TOK TOK TOK?From the sounds of things your not to familiar with motors ( no offense ). Take it to a mechanic because its hard for us to tell. I had that happen on my 97. I did it all myself and the parts and machine work alone, if you go back to stock will run about 1500 or so. Yes its a lot of money to rebuild an engine.
Sorry.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Launching!

i honestly dont think i have enough experience to fix this myself but if it is a spun bearing how much do u think it would cost to replace it and then how much to get it installed. if anything crazy expensive damages have been done to the engine ill be letting the car sit and savin up for a 383. and also if not a spun bearing any other ideas on what it could be. clanking sound the goes faster with the more i push on the throttle. started occurring while running on very low oil
Old 07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
Oh boy.... dude spun bearing is a crank bearing.... as in engine overhaul. Does it sound like someone knocking on the door. TOK TOK TOK?From the sounds of things your not to familiar with motors ( no offense ). Take it to a mechanic because its hard for us to tell. I had that happen on my 97. If you havent figured it out. Yes its a lot of money to rebuild an engine. Sorry.
its ok no i dont know alot about motors at all and it does sound like a tok tok tok noise if by that u mean clank clank clank anyway.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well if your gonna let it sit then you might as well do it yourself. When I rebuilt my engine I did the same thing. Lived on the boards reading and posting. I ended up building a full forged 383 in my garage. Before that the most I did was change spark plugs. If you have the time, you'll be real amazed how easy it is compared to how you thought it would be.

But if you fell you dont wanna tackle that then I'd say around 3k if you take it to someone and rebuild it to stock.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
Well if your gonna let it sit then you might as well do it yourself. When I rebuilt my engine I did the same thing. Lived on the boards reading and posting. I ended up building a full forged 383 in my garage. Before that the most I did was change spark plugs. If you have the time, you'll be real amazed how easy it is compared to how you thought it would be.

But if you fell you dont wanna tackle that then I'd say around 3k if you take it to someone and rebuild it to stock.
yea theres no way ill pay that much. so hopefully its not a spun bearing but if it is ill save up for a 383. any idea where i could fine one new for a good price?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Post up on the sponsor forum. Then ask around.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Launching!

alright thanks, oh and i have a question? if the engine block isnt damaged by this would it work getting a 383 stroker kit? i know that would save a decent amount of money
Old 07-07-2005, 07:00 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Find a friend that knows a little about LS1 and have him help you take it apart. After fuel and power have been disabled, taking the thing apart is not difficult, as long as you have a rachet, 10mm socket and wrench and few other similarly sized tools.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by violator6090
i honestly dont think i have enough experience to fix this myself but if it is a spun bearing how much do u think it would cost to replace it and then how much to get it installed. if anything crazy expensive damages have been done to the engine ill be letting the car sit and savin up for a 383. and also if not a spun bearing any other ideas on what it could be. clanking sound the goes faster with the more i push on the throttle. started occurring while running on very low oil

Sounds like you need to start saving, If there was no oil on the dipstick you were at LEAST 1 &1/2 -2 qts low.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

before you go crazy on letting the car sit and saving money for a 383 build-up, why don't you try to get the noise identified first. No sense in replacing everything for a $2 part (i'm not saying that your problem is as simple as a $2 part either) As a professional mechanic, I can't tell you how many false repairs are done at an expensive because someone "thinks" they KNOW what the problem is. By no means am I saying these other guys are wrong in their diagnoses, but, as the owner of the car (and the one who will be paying) don't you think it's best to determine the problem first and go from there?
Good luck
Old 07-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Launching!

yea i will be. i know it sucks i wish i got my oil changed last week
Old 07-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01350ss
before you go crazy on letting the car sit and saving money for a 383 build-up, why don't you try to get the noise identified first. No sense in replacing everything for a $2 part (i'm not saying that your problem is as simple as a $2 part either) As a professional mechanic, I can't tell you how many false repairs are done at an expensive because someone "thinks" they KNOW what the problem is. By no means am I saying these other guys are wrong in their diagnoses, but, as the owner of the car (and the one who will be paying) don't you think it's best to determine the problem first and go from there?
Good luck
oh dont worry sir, i will be getting it checkled out by some people that i trust before i do anything believe me, i just have a bad feeling and im jumping ahead for future planning. thank you though i understand how this all sounded, i will be getting it checked out as soon as i can.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

smart idea man. again, i'm not discounting anybodies advice or thoughts, just giving some more "pre-repair" advice

p.s. where do you live? if your close, i'll give you a hand
Old 07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may not be as bad as you think. Find out what it is before you panic. It's possible that the crank can be salvaged. An LS1 bearing is about $25. Thunder Racing has Eagle cranks on sale right now for about $850. The expensive part is all the labor, but you could do that yourself if you are willing to take this on as a learning project and buy a few tools. All the tech you need is right here on the forum.

Search this Thread