Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad luck with a forged 346

Old 07-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad luck with a forged 346

i have a 2002 ws6 transam -this spring i felt the need for speed.so i took the small block to the machine shop. had it line honed and replaced internals with mahle pistons and forged h beam rods with the clevite 77 bearings with calico coatings,head studs and main studs,new cam bearings,ls2 timing chain,with tsp magic stick,with prc 2.5 heads,the heads milled 30ths,pacesetter lt with no cats straight pipes all the way back. i put the engine together everything was fine for about 800 miles -then i lost oil presser down to 25psi - i took the oil pan off checked all the bearings everything look fine. i put tsp ported oil pump on the car-put it back together at home (it's not fun on 4 jack stands and removed sub frame.) oil pressure still 25psi ( i wanted to cry, instead a just swore for about 10mins. my wife came running down to the garage to see if i was hurt. my physical body was fine -i was my brain that was screaming in pain.) i dropped the sub frame and oil pan again- to make a long story short believe it or not the number 4 cam bearing backed out 1/2 way- no one has been able to explain why -still don't know what made it happen - most opions were that it was installation problem. took the short block back to the machine shop -he had no explanation for what had happen was in as puzzeled as i still am. he stood behind his work and assembled it the whole engine together in front of me-no charge he even replace all the gaskets.
today i already have 2000 miles & just came home from dyno with a huge smile on my face - the car run raped ape -running out of control -I LOVE IT!!!
i would like to thank TSP for all the technical advice and for all the GREAT PARTS - with great thanks to Trevor,Jon and Jason for spending hours with my red headed wife on the phone who knows nothing about car,but somehow they were able to figure out what i needed -special thanks to jason our mix is right on!!! thanks again guys i am posting my dyno sheets in the dyno section.
TEXAS SPEED RULES
thanks laszlo
Old 07-09-2005, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on getting it running RIGHT!

I'm in Cleveland - where di u get tuning done?

Thanks and have fun!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I got out of that was "spending hours with my red headed wife".......
Old 07-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to hear.
Good that you noticed the oil pressure and fixed the problem.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think jason at texas speed is the one who tuned mine-they told me if i had any trouble to send it to them & they would keep on adjusting it til it was right - they did pretty good job guessing what i needed - shows with my dyno.

Search this Thread