Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP !!! -- blow-by and leak-down q?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP !!! -- blow-by and leak-down q?

Hi,

If the engine has major blow-by... ie, when the oil-stick removed, it's a real cheminy.
My question is... would that be detected on a leak-down test ?
imho, it would be... and supposedly having a leak-down of under 10% for the worse cylinder doesn't add up...
What you guys think ?

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
Hi,

If the engine has major blow-by... ie, when the oil-stick removed, it's a real cheminy.
My question is... would that be detected on a leak-down test ?
imho, it would be... and supposedly having a leak-down of under 10% for the worse cylinder doesn't add up...
What you guys think ?

Thanks,
Well, my opinion is that you may have a dead cylinder. Just my opinion!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you know what, I'm not surprised at all.
The car is low on power for what it is... and when it was last tuned, there were a few pulls done with A/F higher than 18, and the guy would still rev the thing... added lots of fuel, brought it down to 14, and the added more fuel to a decent A/F, but engine only makes 420rwhp
I don't recall engine smoking before that tune... is it possible it got dammaged on the dyno/tuning ?
Getting that checked by professionals.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

you know what, I'm not surprised at all.
The car is low on power for what it is... and when it was last tuned, there were a few pulls done with A/F higher than 18, and the guy would still rev the thing... added lots of fuel, brought it down to 14, and the added more fuel to a decent A/F, but engine only makes 420rwhp
I don't recall engine smoking before that tune... is it possible it got dammaged on the dyno/tuning ?
Getting that checked by professionals.
When you first take off(first gear), does your car feel sluggish and then take off????
TECH Enthusiast

when that tune was done, I went from a ls1 intake to a LSX-90mm + TB + TSP 85mm lid.
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by closet red neck
When you first take off(first gear), does your car feel sluggish and then take off????
hell yeah.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

doesn't sound too good.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

doesn't sound too good.
I think that I hate to tell you but......I think you have a piston ring that laid over on you!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but if that is the case... would it be possible the leak-down to be under 10% for each cylinder, as I was told... while the engine has that much blow-by.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

but if that is the case... would it be possible the leak-down to be under 10% for each cylinder, as I was told... while the engine has that much blow-by.
Well, I was told that the cylinder with the bad ring will show the most loss in compression. The leak down is to find the bad cylinder. Sure, if you pumped up that dead cylinder with air, lets say this cylinder to be under 10%. The other cylinders might be 3%. The one that yeilds the most percentage is most likely to be the bad cylinder. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. I hope I'm understanding you correctly....LOL. I want to help you if I can!!!! I don't know...I'm just guessing!!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Well, I was told that the cylinder with the bad ring will show the most loss in compression. The leak down is to find the bad cylinder. Sure, if you pumped up that dead cylinder with air, lets say this cylinder to be under 10%. The other cylinders might be 3%. The one that yeilds the most percentage is most likely to be the bad cylinder. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. I hope I'm understanding you correctly....LOL. I want to help you if I can!!!! I don't know...I'm just guessing!!!!!
from what I understand stock ls1 will leakdown @ somewhere around 18% (I think)... so if the worse is 10%... that means it's in excellent condition and there is no leak whatsoever.
Now what I'm thinking is that I was BS-ed when told those #s.
Anyways, I'm having my engine checked by another shop to confirm the information I got... I can't stand BS and lies.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what I understand stock ls1 will leakdown @ somewhere around 18% (I think)... so if the worse is 10%... that means it's in excellent condition and there is no leak whatsoever.
Now what I'm thinking is that I was BS-ed when told those #s.
Anyways, I'm having my engine checked by another shop to confirm the information I got... I can't stand BS and lies.
Well, that sound like a good idea!!!! Let me know what you find out!...O.K. I'm going to go to bed, I have to work tomorrow! Man, I've always heard that anything over 10 or 12 % is a bad thing...But that might be in the old school racing motors!!!LOL!! I maybe wrong with this ls1 thing.