Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC Update --> 1QuickT-A Cylinder Head Offer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo jason, ill do my own swaps to compare heads if you let me keep my choice Matt, your getting a great deal here!! jason hooks it up!! Oh and thanks for the clutch...got it in yesterday.
Nino
Old 07-21-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I think this is a great thing! Its about time a sponsor steps up and says we're gonna compare different heads. It sucks that it hasnt been done before. If only I had a shop and had all head companies donate a set for a comparison, then again, that would probably be bad joojoo for the lower performance head. I hope to get a set of heads finished by Terry...one day...if i can get a hold of him
Old 07-21-2005, 08:44 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
If all the heads are tested for quality, is there a flow chart sent with them ? My cam came with every spec of it. Do heads?

I hate my PRC vs AFR thread I started. It started out informative and just went to crap. It was meant to see how each head performed. Put the same heads on two differant cars, and you'll get differant RWHP numbers. I was interested in seeing what gains guys were getting from the PRC. I did the search on the AFRs. PRCs I guess are new and didnt have as many hits.

The heads are very differant from each other. Out of the box on a dyno and out of a box on your car are two differant tests. out of the box, I think PRC might flow the same as AFR for $700 less. If it was 8 CFM less than all of the AFR peak numbers, for $700 less who would care on the street. How much HP are we talking off a couple CFM. If your going just drag racing, I think you can do more options with AFRs because they are a differant build seperate from GM core heads. It would be like comparing numbers on cams from differant companies. My TR224 is just a little differant from your comp cam ..224 cam.

I could be wrong, but two tuning shops will get differant RWHP out of a car from how they tune it. lots of guys pay for dyno tuning on there car, and they get a mail order tune and a dyno chart run. Would you really know ? Bullshit you wouldnt know. I think your get more out of a great tune, than the little you loss between the numbers these heads would put up.

Do shops buy cores and put on their own type of springs and valves on them and save a couple buck. You betcha. Thats why you get 3 differant prices from 3 differant companies. If I get X spring for $200 and g spring for $150 and they both will work fine on your car and never have a problem with either, which spring do you really think your going to get when the valve cover is sealed. If I buy a case with 500 valves from source E and 1000 Valves from source K, in the gross packet, which spring cost less. It all about how close you can come to cost savings without breaking someones toy.

Money wasnts a option for me when I consider parts for my car, its more of if the parts worth that money. Combine all the big and little things you've done to your car, and your still at about a $100.00 per 1 hp-excluding N02.

I talked with Tony M. 2 times on the phone and 5-6 PMs. Was nice to me. It's his job to love and push his product. He told me all the good AFR had to offer. I doubt id use the AFRs to their potential. I factored that in. Ive talked to Jason as TSP and to tell you the truth, he never pushed either head on me and told me ID love either. Money wasn't the object, so in the busniess sense, TSP should make about the same market up off me from either heads I bought. They really had no interest or tried to steer me to which set I selected. God honest truth.

if there is a bottom line to my posting here, Any one would be pissed if they paid $1500 for PRC or $2158 for AFRs and they flowed crappy. But who really checks? I tell you now, I will when I get the brand I picked just to keep everyone honest. after all, this is the internet.
read this phil

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....92&postcount=2

and i suggest the whole thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ead+discussion
Old 07-21-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I always thought it was better for vendors just to avoid public drama, but thats just me.
I agree. I'm certainly no expert, but if there was a dispute regarding the quality of a single set of heads, it should have been resolved in private. At this point, all of the vendors who have posted in this thread have, in my opinion, come across as unprofessional in one form or another.

Furthermore, have we not already seen enough dyno graphs to safely say that, in most cases, AFRs outperform every other cylinder head on the market? PRCs may be an excellent value, and may even outperform AFRs from time-to-time, but honestly, if money were no object, wouldn't virtually everyone be using some form of AFRs?

Just my take.

Josh
Old 07-21-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

CAT3, FWIW, during the day, I am the general manager of a 20+ man industrial machine shop. I am well-versed on quality control system, ISO 9001. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and am certified as a Tool & Die maker. We build quality products for customers such as Honda, Goodyear, Siemens Westinghouse Etc. I do cylinder head work because I love it. At no point do I rely on producing cylinder heads for income; it’s just something I’ve done for years! You keep making reference to the PP situation. I had no control on the manufacturing processes or personell there. I tried to install a ISO 9000-type quality system, but I was told it takes too long & “we can't ship heads fast enough.” The owner of PP is directly responsible for the design, parts used, and quality of all products. It takes a certain amount of time to produce a quality product. If the owner of said company, which has no background in machining or quality control, would have let me run the situation the way I thought it should be there would have been nowhere near the problems.

It’s much easier to pass the blame onto someone else, especially if he no longer works for you and cannot defend himself. Everyone in a bad situation needs a scapegoat for excuses, and it seems I was the easiest target.

Last edited by Terry@RacetechSpeed; 07-21-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
If all the heads are tested for quality, is there a flow chart sent with them ? My cam came with every spec of it. Do heads?
when i picked up my heads from LPE they gave me a flow sheet,plus a tag attached to the heads with the measured spring pressures,coil bind,spring height,int. and exh. runner vloume,combustion chamber vol. guide clearances and a couple of other things i can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

From my perspective, it seems like TSP is *trying* to do what's right here, even though some people seem to think that they are pushing a trash product and acting like kids. Well, I'd rather buy from them than Ed or Tony Mamo, and I'm not a customer of TSP.

TSP has just said that their head is less expensive and according to my guesstimate probably 90-95% of the AFR head in performance. It's a tradeoff of price vs performance and perhaps even quality. If you want the absolute last bit of power from your car, and money is not an object, then the AFR 205 is probably not the head you want, either.

But, if you want 35-40rwhp, both heads will give you close to that, so will TEA, Futral, MTI, Cartek, or LPE. So, the point becomes customer service, quality, and cost. Nothing is perfect, so customer service becomes very important. Sure, the AFR heads are mass produced on an assembly line, so their quality is probably very consistent, but you know what, mass producing is supposed to make things less expensive, and there are still problems that creep into manufacturing that is sometimes out of the control of companies like AFR.

For people to get bent out of shape over this is rediculous. That makes me not want to deal with people like that for business transactions out of fear that they will turn that asinine aggression toward me if I challenge their product or service because it does not fully meet my expectations, whether it's their fault, a supplier, a delivery service, or my own stupidity. At least TSP seems like they'd take care of me, even if the whole deal blows up into a circus. Yeah, you get what you pay for, so the AFR heads probably won't ever drop a valve due to shitty machining and that might be the only gripe against TSP because of alleged ties to Patriot.

Managing government IT contract work has taught me that most companies can do the job (some more satisfactorily than others), but if the government doesn't trust you, then get the hell out of dodge, because you won't get the work or keep it, and worse, word might get out that will limit you from getting work elsewhere if you really pissed off someone.

So, compare the heads. At least that will confirm that PRC isn't utter crap and shouldn't be destroyed because it costs $600 less than AFR, and provides 90% of the performance of the 205. I used to worry about getting an extra 2-5% out of whatever it was, whether it be computers, cars, or anything. At the end of the day, you don't notice it, so why pay for it. It's silly to split hairs.

All of this reminds me of the tuner wars and header wars of the last couple of years. One shop in Texas and one shop in New Jersey, and it involved one of the moderators on this board as a driver. The test was to drag similar Vettes with different H/C packages and one shop sponsored it. What a mess that became. So, let Bo White do the tuning/install to get that potential problem out of the way.

Anyway, get the LS7 heads if you want the best and can shoehorn it onto your engine. Get nitrous or a supercharger if you want bang for the buck. Honestly, I don't see the point in spending 2k on something that will only give you 40-50HP. $2k is half-way to a Procharger or STS Turbo.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
From my perspective, it seems like TSP is *trying* to do what's right here, even though some people seem to think that they are pushing a trash product and acting like kids. Well, I'd rather buy from them than Ed or Tony Mamo, and I'm not a customer of TSP.

TSP has just said that their head is less expensive and according to my guesstimate probably 90-95% of the AFR head in performance. It's a tradeoff of price vs performance and perhaps even quality. If you want the absolute last bit of power from your car, and money is not an object, then the AFR 205 is probably not the head you want, either.

But, if you want 35-40rwhp, both heads will give you close to that, so will TEA, Futral, MTI, Cartek, or LPE. So, the point becomes customer service, quality, and cost. Nothing is perfect, so customer service becomes very important. Sure, the AFR heads are mass produced on an assembly line, so their quality is probably very consistent, but you know what, mass producing is supposed to make things less expensive, and there are still problems that creep into manufacturing that is sometimes out of the control of companies like AFR.

For people to get bent out of shape over this is rediculous. That makes me not want to deal with people like that for business transactions out of fear that they will turn that asinine aggression toward me if I challenge their product or service because it does not fully meet my expectations, whether it's their fault, a supplier, a delivery service, or my own stupidity. At least TSP seems like they'd take care of me, even if the whole deal blows up into a circus. Yeah, you get what you pay for, so the AFR heads probably won't ever drop a valve due to shitty machining and that might be the only gripe against TSP because of alleged ties to Patriot.

Managing government IT contract work has taught me that most companies can do the job (some more satisfactorily than others), but if the government doesn't trust you, then get the hell out of dodge, because you won't get the work or keep it, and worse, word might get out that will limit you from getting work elsewhere if you really pissed off someone.

So, compare the heads. At least that will confirm that PRC isn't utter crap and shouldn't be destroyed because it costs $600 less than AFR, and provides 90% of the performance of the 205. I used to worry about getting an extra 2-5% out of whatever it was, whether it be computers, cars, or anything. At the end of the day, you don't notice it, so why pay for it. It's silly to split hairs.

All of this reminds me of the tuner wars and header wars of the last couple of years. One shop in Texas and one shop in New Jersey, and it involved one of the moderators on this board as a driver. The test was to drag similar Vettes with different H/C packages and one shop sponsored it. What a mess that became. So, let Bo White do the tuning/install to get that potential problem out of the way.

Anyway, get the LS7 heads if you want the best and can shoehorn it onto your engine. Get nitrous or a supercharger if you want bang for the buck. Honestly, I don't see the point in spending 2k on something that will only give you 40-50HP. $2k is half-way to a Procharger or STS Turbo.

i dont think your looking at the whole picture. a picture is worth a thousand words. *note* not an apples to apples direct comparison as cam timing, compression, ect are not the same. however it shows the potential of a better package.

in this situation tell me the extra money for the TEA stg 2.5's arent worth it over there 1.5's. if you'll notice the 1.5's make more peak hp, but the curves tell the real story about usable power.

that extra 2 - 5% could be the difference between 1st and 4rd, and considering the lengths some here go to knock off a .1 off there e.t the extra money and percentage of said performance is justifiied.

at any rate im curious to see the results, but more importantly the aftermath. whats to become of this if one head clearly has a substantial advantage over the other. is it back to the drawing board or just accepted as is. we all know numbers sell. its one reason you dont see these types of test in GMHTP and such, cant alienate a sponsor.

honestly i think the PRC's should go up against the 225 to keep port volumes relatively close. my 2 cents, not like it matters much.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I think the cams have something more to do with the torque than the heads in all honesty. Sure the 2.5 LS6s are better, and if you already have LS6s, you'd be insane not to opt for that over 1.5 truck heads.

And I'll stick by my original thought: if I want to go fast, but I have x amount of dollars, I can think of better ways to go fast than heads. I'm sorry, but people who have Mustangs and Camaros aren't loaded, and that's why these cars are so fantastic and so much fun for the average joe. Value for power.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
And Jason, I did not tell you that AFR was gonna sell me the heads for "cost" or whatever. You asked me "so what kinda price did Tony give you?" and I said "he hasnt really given me a price yet, but he is gonna help me out and give me a decent deal on em"... Nothing More, Nothing Less. I told you that I would be interested in doing the head comparison and that I would talk to Gomer about it. I also told you to give me a couple of days to think about it and I'd get back with you. Well, I don't need any more time to think about it. I'm gonna go with AFR and thats it. The heads will be sent back to TSP next week. I'm waiting on it to arrive from AFR right now. Should be here tomorrow or Monday at the latest..
Strange turn of events
Old 07-21-2005, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Lady just curious where did you get that quote from????
Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Well, this thead is total crap.. Every bit of it.. I NEVER said that I was ready to do this. My EXACT words to Jason last night on the phone were "I will get back with you in 1-2 days and let you know what I want to do!" I guess Jason forgot that I said that.

I am NOT going to do this. All of this bullshit and arguing has made my decision very simple! TSP just wants to do this to "kick AFR in the nuts" and they are just using me to try and make their product look better. I am not gonna be the TSP bitch.. I know alot of you guys wanted to see this happen, but its not your car, your money, or your decision to make. If there are so many people interested in this then one of you guys can do it yourself. I can see why Tony would be leary about this comparison. Its being done on the other side of the country and all of the guys involved have "vested interest" in the PRC heads and TSP.. Gomer is a good guy and so is Bo. I know them both personally and they are both local friends of mine. Bo doesnt even do any tuning that I am aware of so that rules him out. But, it really doesn't matter because this thread is pointless and so is this idea. It will just start more crap..

I am happy to see some of the guys in this thread say "I will definately get my heads flow tested/checked out from here on out!" That is EXACTLY what I was shooting for when I started the "original" thread about a week ago. But, it has been turned into "my dicks bigger than yours" by TSP.. Tony or anyone else from AFR has not got on here in a public forum and bashed any other business that I am aware of. TEA maybe, but not AFR.

I think that all of this stuff should be made public. There is no reason at all IMHO that I should have kept this between myself and TSP. Why should I have not told people about this problem? Has it not opened the eyes of alot of people on this site? Thats what this site was started up for or am I wrong on that assumption too? Sometimes it seems like "anything" goes from certain sponsors. And, I think that is wrong. This site is for US.. Not THEM! But, it looks alot like it is for "MONEY" no matter what goes on..

Anyways, I have made my decision and I am going with a set of AFR's. AND TONY IS NOT SELLING ME A SET FOR COST AND I NEVER SAID THAT HE WAS!! I said "Tony and I have not discussed any actually prices, but he did say he would help me out and give me a decent deal!" If I have to, I will post up the freakin reciepts when I purchase the heads from Tony. And I will have 1-2 more flow sheets from these heads to show that I'm not a liar..

Last edited by 1QuickT-A; 07-22-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well, alot has happened while I was at work .
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, this thead is total crap.. Every bit of it.. I NEVER said that I was ready to do this. My EXACT words to Jason last night on the phone were "I will get back with you in 1-2 days and let you know what I want to do!" I guess Jason forgot that I said that.

I am NOT going to do this. All of this bullshit and arguing has made my decision very simple! TSP just wants to do this to "kick AFR in the nuts" and they are just using me to try and make their product look better. I am not gonna be the TSP bitch.. I know alot of you guys wanted to see this happen, but its not your car, your money, or your decision to make. If there are so many people interested in this then one of you guys can do it yourself. I can see why Tony would be leary about this comparison. Its being done on the other side of the world and all of the guys involved have "vested interest" in the PRC heads and TSP.. Gomer is a good guy and so is Bo. I know them both personally and they are both local friends of mine. Bo doesnt even do any tuning that I am aware of so that rules him out. But, it really doesn't matter because this thread is pointless and so is this idea. It will just start more crap..

I am happy to see some of the guys in this thread say "I will definately get my heads flow tested/checked out from here on out!" That is EXACTLY what I was shooting for when I started the "original" thread about a week ago. But, it has been turned into "my dicks bigger than yours" by TSP.. Tony or anyone else from AFR has not got on here in a public forum and bashed any other business that I am aware of. TEA maybe, but not AFR.

I think that all of this stuff should be made public. There is no reason at all IMHO that I should have kept this between myself and TSP. Why should I have not told people about this problem? Has it not opened the eyes of alot of people on this site? Thats what this site was started up for or am I wrong on that assumption too? Sometimes it seems like "anything" goes from certain sponsors. And, I think that is wrong. This site is for US.. Not THEM! But, it looks alot like it is for "MONEY" no matter what goes on..

Anyways, I have made my decision and I am going with a set of AFR's. AND TONY IS NOT SELLING ME A SET FOR COST AND I NEVER SAID THAT HE WAS!! I said "Tony and I have not discussed any actually prices, but he did say he would help me out and give me a decent deal!" If I have to, I will post up the freakin reciepts when I purchase the heads from Tony. And I will have 1-2 more flow sheets from these heads to show that I'm not a liar..
Well ****.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Personally I think there should be more than two brands involved if something like this could take place.

And no, not a set of mine either- I charged $650 for a reason
Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

What he said.. /\
l

I was looking forward to a back to back test. Sure seems like I have read of a certain car mag doing some back to back comparisons of heads. I know they have done it with cams, and intakes.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
Well ****.
Oh ****..... I'm still laughing......wheeeeeeeeeeewwwww. nothin like a good laugh.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

This car is my daily driver and my only ride at the moment. Thats one reason why I dont care to rape my car twice in one day and then rag the **** out of it on the dyno with 100k on the clock. Also, I still haven't had my trans rebuilt which needs to be done badly and I still dont have my converter installed. So, there would be ALOT of work to do to the car before anything could ever happen. And, I've already made my decision and have picked out what I want and I could care less what the PRC's do on the dyno. I just do not care.. Simple as that..
Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Launching!

This car is my daily driver and my only ride at the moment. Thats one reason why I dont care to rape my car twice in one day and then rag the **** out of it on the dyno with 100k on the clock. Also, I still haven't had my trans rebuilt which needs to be done badly and I still dont have my converter installed. So, there would be ALOT of work to do to the car before anything could ever happen. And, I've already made my decision and have picked out what I want and I could care less what the PRC's do on the dyno. I just do not care.. Simple as that..

If your car is in that bad of shape,you should have not bought heads. After reading all of this,it now shows me that your full intentions was to harm the business of PRC. I call BS .Rape your car twice,lol,I am sure the daily wear of driving that you perform is as bad as the dyno pulls.

None the less,I say perform the head comparison with another car.It's to far gone to turn back now.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

With that said, case closed. Go drink beer and be happy